Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Especially since it's six years in now and we are STILL talking about potential on the fucking OL.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

We are? I recall reading and hearing about how the OL needs to improve, that the musical chairs is no excuse and that he needs his assistant coaches to make his players more accountable. I've heard things like that. I don't recall hearing 'our OL has potential to be' ... blah blah.

We know our OL sucks. So do you. What next?

I say, if you want to keep the blended ZBS scheme, fire Campen and bring on someone who's an expert in the field. If you want to go full power o, I say keep Campen, get some fatties and PUNCH'EM IN THE MOUTH!!

"Wade" wrote:

"We like what we have." And what we have is, after Sitton, Wells, ... Lang (potential), Bulaga (potential), Dietrich-Smith (potential), Newhouse (potential), Spitz (potential), Colledge (well, okay, we aren't using the potential word for Daryn anymore), Barbre (well, if he's still on the roster it has to be because of potential), Giacomini (see Barbre).

What I see is that we hope our OL doesnt suck because we expect some more of that good ol' potential to work its way into performance. (That and hoping Clifton/Tausch havent lost too much).

Apart from Sitton and Wells, we got two guys who were here when Ted started who are a lot older. And potential.

Well, we had damn well have more than that come February, the sort of stuff that leads to Super Bowl appearances. Or damn straight I'm going to be unreasonable about Ted and Mike.

At some point its more than just Campen. Suppose we go one and out, and Mike and Ted get rid of Campen and/or the ZBO after this year. Do they get a couple more years to see?

Not from an unreasonable bastard like me they don't.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
1. To my recollection I have never praised the Viking front office.
2. There is a lot to like about this team. Don't deny that.
3. And I still think 5 years (6 for the GM) is a long time to give a guy without a super bowl appearance. Especially since the biggest barrier to that super bowl appearance has been there for the entire time of their tenure.
4. So...and this is just for you, IronMan... Super Bowl or Bust ('em).

Signed,
I know I'm unreasonable.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Especially since it's six years in now and we are STILL talking about potential on the fucking OL.

"Wade" wrote:

We are? I recall reading and hearing about how the OL needs to improve, that the musical chairs is no excuse and that he needs his assistant coaches to make his players more accountable. I've heard things like that. I don't recall hearing 'our OL has potential to be' ... blah blah.

We know our OL sucks. So do you. What next?

I say, if you want to keep the blended ZBS scheme, fire Campen and bring on someone who's an expert in the field. If you want to go full power o, I say keep Campen, get some fatties and PUNCH'EM IN THE MOUTH!!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"We like what we have." And what we have is, after Sitton, Wells, ... Lang (potential), Bulaga (potential), Dietrich-Smith (potential), Newhouse (potential), Spitz (potential), Colledge (well, okay, we aren't using the potential word for Daryn anymore), Barbre (well, if he's still on the roster it has to be because of potential), Giacomini (see Barbre).

What I see is that we hope our OL doesnt suck because we expect some more of that good ol' potential to work its way into performance. (That and hoping Clifton/Tausch havent lost too much).

Apart from Sitton and Wells, we got two guys who were here when Ted started who are a lot older. And potential.

Well, we had damn well have more than that come February, the sort of stuff that leads to Super Bowl appearances. Or damn straight I'm going to be unreasonable about Ted and Mike.

At some point its more than just Campen. Suppose we go one and out, and Mike and Ted get rid of Campen and/or the ZBO after this year. Do they get a couple more years to see?

Not from an unreasonable bastard like me they don't.

"Wade" wrote:

Oh, I get ya. Are you saying during the offseason the coaches should berate the OL publicly?

I don't know if I can agree with that theory. The team knows the OL played like garbage, McCarthy said as much during the season last year.

If I were to hear this "OL has potential" from the coaches, I suppose I won't let that get me riled up. I don't much care about what's said, I just want more results. And I suppose I also know that a nice portion of responsibility for our the sacks last year was Aaron Rodgers own doing, he'll admit to that and has.

I mean it's not like we threw for over 4k yards and had a 1,200 rusher with that OL which just added two young talented rookies to the stable. The OL once we stopped moving people around and stayed healthy, was fairly decent. I know, I know, why admit to that when its so much FUN to bitch about the OL, right?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Let's not forget that those 4,000+ yards passing and 1200+ yards rushing were behind a stable of offensive linemen that included one player who, so far as I know, was never once activated (Giacomini) and another (Barbre) whose play was so putrid he was benched (the Packers website doesn't even list which games he played in for 2009).

When it comes to being unreasonable, Wade, you know me: During the games, I yell, scream, and curse with the worst of 'em. That's part of the fun of the game. But after it's over, I try to take a step back and examine the situation with a more objective eye. This team has some holes. I won't deny that. But I don't see how the flaws in the offensive line are enough to warrant crucifying a front office who has without question outperformed the majority of the league.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Let's not forget that those 4,000+ yards passing and 1200+ yards rushing were behind a stable of offensive linemen that included one player who, so far as I know, was never once activated (Giacomini) and another (Barbre) whose play was so putrid he was benched (the Packers website doesn't even list which games he played in for 2009).

When it comes to being unreasonable, Wade, you know me: During the games, I yell, scream, and curse with the worst of 'em. That's part of the fun of the game. But after it's over, I try to take a step back and examine the situation with a more objective eye. This team has some holes. I won't deny that. But I don't see how the flaws in the offensive line are enough to warrant crucifying a front office who has without question outperformed the majority of the league.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I'm not into crucifixion. I just want better. (I also think Jack Welch overrated, so my unreasonableness comes up in non-sports contexts, too.) One year of substandard performance doesn't put blame on front office. Several years does.

I know the numbers look like success on that OL. I just don't buy it. IMO Rodgers and Grant and the skill players excelled last year despite the OL, not because of it.

But again, I think your offseason approach is sounder than mine. Attitudes like mine are part of the reason I don't believe football offers particularly good metaphors for life, where contrary to myth, winning isn't everything or even anything of particular importance.

But football for me is different than life. One-and-out doesn't satisfy me, no matter how many points GB scores in a loss. And IMO if I'm convinced that the current front office doesn't have what it takes for GB win the big dance, I'm going to call for a change. Odds be damned. Stats be damned.

I suppose Kevin's correct, too. Its more fun to just beat the dead horse. 🙂

And silly as this may sound, in a weird way I think it helps me deal with the crap of the real world. Those times when I think my ideas/beliefs are far sounder than others, yet I can't get anyone to listen/agree/pay attention to what I'm saying -- my crazy unreasonableness as a fan helps me understand that sometimes the unreasonable belief is the better choice for them to make. Turning the other cheek is easier, as it were, when I realize that I, too, have a need to be an asshole from time to time.

Or maybe I'm just a pinhead.

I should approach football the way I approach life, I know I should. But I don't.

:facepalm:
British
13 years ago

Could NOT agree more 

So when it's all said and done, if this Packers team does not go deep into the playoffs, they will have only themselves to blame. No excuses.

"IronMan" wrote:

Surely that is the same for every team in the league, every year?

If a team doesn't have a deep playoff run they didn't play well enough to do so.

So why do the Packers need singling out?

And I don't recall Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy actually offering any 'excuses' last year or any year. They always seem to take it on the chin and say they need to do better.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Could NOT agree more 

So when it's all said and done, if this Packers team does not go deep into the playoffs, they will have only themselves to blame. No excuses.

"British" wrote:

"IronMan" wrote:

Surely that is the same for every team in the league, every year?

If a team doesn't have a deep playoff run they didn't play well enough to do so.

So why do the Packers need singling out?

He writes about the Packers. Thats his job.

And I don't recall Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy actually offering any 'excuses' last year or any year.

"British" wrote:

No one said they did.
warhawk
13 years ago
I just don't get people sometimes.

IMO the job of the GM is to put a team on the field that has what it takes to win it all. Not only that but to do this in a way that allows this opportunity year in and year out.

A GM doesn't walk through the door and make this happen in one or two years unless the team was loaded when he got there which wasn't the case here and rarely does. Did they not hire Ted Thompson because the previous GM was plain lousy at building a quality roster?

If you look at this team they have had some success over the last few years but looking at it now you find that there will be very little transitioning or turnover. Ted Thompson has addressed positions of concern where it's likely that over the next couple of years players will need to be replaced due to age mostly.

In other word the Packers are poised to contend for years to come. They are young enough yet experienced enough to have success without needing to make desperation type decisions to put a winning team on the field.

Personnel people across the league KNOW the Packers have a stout roster and it's not going away anytime soon either. If you want to say "ya but he hasn't won a SB or enough playoff games" all I can say is whatever.

I look at the team and see the strongest roster we have had in the last five years with a growing core group of quality players when you can start adding the Finleys, Mathews, Raji's, Sitton's, etc., as guys you can count on that will continue to improve.

We made the playoffs with a pretty young ballclub and all it's going to be is better this year in terms of personnel and quality on the final 53. While some here want to give Thompson a left jab to the jaw there are many people that will tell you they would drop that fist and offer a handshake to him for a hell of job that he has done and continues to do here.
"The train is leaving the station."
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Bill & Ted 

There seems to be such a large amount of Ted hate going on that I needed to step back and analyze my stance. In order to do so, I had to take a look at several GMs across the league. After looking at the track record of Colts GM Bill Polian, I have to agree that Ted Thompson still has a lot to learn.

Granted, Polian has been around slightly longer than Thompson, but clearly is considered one the better GM/Presidents in the league. His team the Indianapolis Colts are perennial playoff contenders and no one can argue one of the best teams in the NFL. To find out where Ted Thompson has failed, lets first examine Polians successes in running the Colts.

1. He let two pro-bowl offensive leaders simply up and leave the team in favor of drafted talent. Both the newly drafted replacement players turned out to be pro-bowlers.

2. Signed a pro-bowl free-agent defensive end to a long term contract.

3. Made one of the top five record turnarounds in NFL history.

4. Took a chance and drafted a first round perennial pro-bowl and MVP candidate quarterback.

5. Has had great success with UDFAs with 3 or more currently starting on the roster.

6. Drafted two or more second round pro-bowlers.

7. Signed a free-agent in the secondary who would later become NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

8. Much to the dismay of the fans, had the intestinal fortitude to draft a receiver instead of defensive help. That receiver is now one of the best in the league.

9. Also, signed one of the best free-agent receivers in the game today.

10. Used free-agency to sign one of the top-two left tackles available.

11. Used free-agency to acquire of the top 10 right tackles available.

12. Used free-agency to sign one of the top 5 safeties in the NFL.

13. Helped mold a project tight-end into one of the best in the league.

14. Has drafted or signed 7 plus pro-bowl players.

15. Let his all time leading rusher go in favor of youth and the future.

16. Has let three or more big time free-agents walk to large contracts on other teams that did not pan out.

Quite a remarkable record, and one Ted Thompson should take a close hard look at befo crap, I copied and pasted Thompsons tenure instead. Which coincidentally can be substituted for Polians without an edit.

Hate on that.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
lol I know some who won't like reading that quote 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (2h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (3h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (19h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.