Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://wauk-am.tritondigitalmedia.com/includes/news_items/40/3628/colledge2.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY The Green Bay Packers returned to work Tuesday, and there was Daryn Colledge, again taking the snaps with the No. 1 offense at left guard.

Whether or not hes still there when the regular season begins Sept. 13 at Philadelphia, well, Colledge figures thats all up to him.

With Jason Spitz, his primary competition and best friend still sidelined following his season-ending back surgery of last year, Colledge has been working with the No. 1 offensive line throughout organized team activity practices, which resumed Tuesday after coach Mike McCarthy gave the players 10 days off following the first week of OTA workouts. Practices continue with Wednesdays open-to-the-public (and the media) session and will run three-days-a-week until the teams mandatory minicamp kicks off June 21.

And while Colledge has endured more than his share of criticism since joining the team as a second-round pick in 2006, he has been a mainstay on the line, seeing action in every one of the 67 games (including playoffs) the Packers have played during his four-year career.

So if Spitz, second-year man T.J. Lang (whos out until training camp following wrist surgery) or anyone else wants to take away his starting gig once the competition heats up in camp, Colledge can guarantee one thing: Theyre in for a fight.

Right now, Im the starting left guard until someone tells me otherwise. Im getting almost every single rep, and until Im informed otherwise, Ill play that way, Colledge said. Who knows what theyll do? Thats up to them. Im going to give them every reason to not get rid of me.

Im not planning on going quietly into the night. Im not going to lie down. Ive got 63 starts counting playoff games, and Im not giving those up for nothing. I plan on competing my ass off. Im going to give them a reason to have to play me, and if they choose to go in another direction, thats their decision.

While theres no denying that Colledge has been inconsistent at times at left guard, one also must grant that moving outside to left tackle when Chad Clifton has been unavailable including when he went down in Week 2 with an ankle injury didnt help Colledge, either.

I would absolutely love to be the left guard full-time and take every rep in every game at that (spot) because I feel like thats my best position. It doesnt always work like that, Colledge said. Theres injuries and theres things that happen on the football field that are unexpected and youve got to react to it.

Of Colledges 63 career starts, 59 have come at left guard, four at left tackle and one at right tackle although he has shifted to left tackle a number of other times during games when Clifton was injured, as he was against Cincinnati last Sept. 20.

Sure, I think any player is, offensive line coach James Campen replied when asked if Colledge is more comfortable at left guard than left tackle, where he played in college for four years at Boise State. Daryn was asked to back up left tackle last year, but the majority of his (practice) reps were spent at guard. I dont know if he got any reps at tackle last year (in practice before Cliftons injury).

(This year), hell still go in there at left guard and thats exclusively where hell play. We have other tackles now, so were covered at this point in time.

With first-round draft pick Bryan Bulaga set to back up Clifton at left tackle and Lang viewed as the right tackle of the future behind veteran Mark Tauscher, Colledge can focus on improving at left guard. While he had a costly penalty late in the Packers season-ending loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Wild Card playoffs, his play improved during the second half of last season, when Lang took over as Cliftons backup and Colledge knew hed only be playing left guard.

Obviously I didnt have the first half of the season I wanted to have, said Colledge, who was part of an offensive line that gave up 37 sacks in the teams first eight regular-season games and only 14 in the final eight. I felt like I had a good last half of the season when I got focused on left guard.

There were reports after Colledge received a second-round tender (a one-year deal for 2010 worth $1.76 million) in March as a restricted free agent that he was unhappy with his deal, but Colledge vehemently denied those reports at the time and did so again when OTAs began. Instead, Colledge said he missed the start of the offseason workout program his signed his tender on May 10 while working out at home in Boise, where his altered diet and workouts

Everybody thought I wasnt here because I was holding out, but it was nothing like that, Colledge said. I was at home taking care of myself physically and mentally so I can be the best offensive lineman I can be. Aaron (Rodgers) deserves it, this team deserves it and the city deserves it. And I expect to do it.

If Colledges past responses to having his job security challenged are any indication, dont bet against him.

When he was benched following the preseason opener at San Diego as a rookie in 2006, he regained the starting left guard spot in the second week of the regular season when Spitz suffered a thigh injury. In 2007, he held off competition for his job after a Nov. 4 game at Kansas City, and although he was benched during a loss at Dallas on Nov. 29, he was back starting when the playoffs began. And during training camp in 2008, he retained his starting gig by thoroughly outperforming Allen Barbre.

In his defense, this kid comes to work every day, Campen said. Every time Daryn has been challenged this isnt the first time (hes responded). And Ill make it perfectly clear, too theres a bunch of challenges on that offensive line now. Its not just a focal point right there. But he has responded every time. And I expect him to respond. I do.

Now, whether or not he is the starting left guard, other people are going to respond as well. But as far as Daryn backing down from a challenge or saying, What the heck, the odds are against me, thats not in his makeup whatsoever. Yeah, he takes some criticism, but Ill say this: As far as an accountable person, he is always available and ready to go.

Now he just has to play better.

I feel like and I need to feel like Im the best option there is available, Colledge said. Whether thats competition between me and Barbre, or me and Spitz, or me and T.J. Lang, Ive got to feel like Im the best guy there is. Ive got to give them the reason to play me every year.

This year, Ill do what I do every year compete my ass off, play left guard the best I can, and then see where the cards fall. And if I get to be the left guard and everybody stays healthy, I think weve got a great opportunity. If Im not the best player, then theyve got somebody else out there thats making this team better and Ill push that guy.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago
In two years Newhouse will be the mainstay LG with Bulaga at LT, a new player at center, Sitton at RG, and TJ at RT, with Aaron having a big smile on his face. Until then let them all battle it out and may the best players play.

My biggest hope is that someone ponies up a third round pick for our self touted best LG on the team.

I sure do feel we have much more depth on the o-line than I can ever remember. Maybe that's why Gunny Dfoster hasn't had anything to bitch about in a while.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago

I sure do feel we have much more depth on the o-line than I can ever remember. Maybe that's why Gunny Dfoster hasn't had anything to bitch about in a while.

"DakotaT" wrote:

It's probably killing him. Poor guy.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
". . . where his altered diet and workouts" . . . what? Don't leave us hanging, man! What about these fascinating alterations is so significant?
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago
with Newhouse, Sitton, Lang, Spitz and undrafted guys like Campbell and McDonald, i think we can survive without DC.
blank
isocleas2
13 years ago
I thought it was a good interview. DC seems to see the writing on the wall and is going to give all he's got to keep his job. Whether you like him or not that is the attitude you want from all your players. I'm just hoping its coming from his heart and not his agent's lips.
warhawk
13 years ago
The competition will make this group be better focused and prepared. After taking a flyer on Barbre last year and having to wait on Tauscher and trying to replace Clifton the first half of last year was a total disaster.

14 sacks in the last half of the year is not bad at all and as long as Rodgers is kept upright we had a chance or beat every team out there.

While it is not likely all the starters will be able to stay in the rotation for a full season they now have good depth to cover about any situation. Colledge is a much better backup plan then most teams have available to them and with Lang and Bulaga in the background it's a heck of a lot better than moving Colledge or going with Geno or Barbre.

The depth of both lines is where a large amount of the enthusiasm and optimism lies for me this coming year. When you look at the final roster the personnel on both lines top to bottom is pretty darn stout.

We already had about as many playmakers on both O and D as you could really hope for. Now that we can play with about anybody upfront I expect great things.
"The train is leaving the station."
Since69
13 years ago
"...feelin' kinda Sunday..."
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
I wish the best for Colledge in keeping his spot.

My biggest worry with having talent and depth at O-line is that it will lead to more juggling and inconsistency. Ideally we will get some consistency with a solid line for years to come.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Fan Shout
wpr (1h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (1h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (2h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (5h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.