porky88
13 years ago

You have to take into account improving from within. Just because you don't change players, doesn't mean you don't get better. The 2007 Packers added Frank Walker, but ended up hosting the NFC Title game. Meanwhile, the 2007 Bears made zero changes and they missed the playoffs after going to the Super Bowl the year prior. Nobody will convince me Frank Walker was the reason for the five game swing.

The Packers have a lot of upside at key positions. Whether or not they improve enough from within will determine how far they go. You look up and down the team, there are plenty of players that should get better and not that many that will regress.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Of course. Especially on a team like ours, we need our guys to make a leap from year 1 to 2. You can't survive without that when you sign the amount of FAs we do.

It's just that you have Brad Jones and Clay Matthews at OLB. Jones looks like someone who has to be 280 lbs of nearly pure muscle before he can take on a RT. And that will get to your speed.

Now, I'd be thrilled if he went from 240 to 250 in the weigth room, got stronger, learned some moves from Greene and gets after the QB this year, but I think that he'll still be a rather onesided guy. And someone who's not that amazing at those speed rushes, either.

And the same goes for Clay. Get a HB or TE to chip him, get him off his route and let the LT engage him. The battle is pretty much done from there. I think that the fact that teams had to double Cullen Jenkins had a lot to do with his outstanding rookie season, as well.

I found these numbers pretty interesting. Our OLBs got 1 sack between them on bullrushes. Matthews; 1, Jones; 0.

We really have a finesse rushing corps out there and that's just not always going to work. We're losing the battle against teams with beefy O-lines like Minnesota, just imagine what an athlete-filled zone team would do against us.

"porky88" wrote:

You bring up a good point with the backers and Jones specifically. That's the No. 1 problem for the Packers. The offensive line will sort itself out in my view. I also believe Rodgers will get rid of the ball quicker this year than last. Not all the times, but he'll be improved. The secondary will get a boost from just not having to rely on Jarrett Bush and Josh Bell. The pass rush is the concern.

The Packers will be a good team regardless of their pass rush though. They were a good team last year and their rush wasn't great. It was average at best. However, if they're going to go on the road and beat New Orleans, Dallas, or Minnesota, they need more rush.

If not, Green Bay better get home field throughout the playoffs.

Now there is more than one way to create pressure, but it is very difficult to get at the QB in this scheme without having the top rushers be the OLBs. Right now, that's not the case. I would argue Cullen Jenkins is the best rusher on the team next to Matthews.

Jenkins and Raji are going to have to step up their game a lot. They'll have to get enough pressure in order to make up for the inconsistent pressure from the OLBs. Chiller will have to blitz from the ILB as well. The scheme is going to have to create the pressure and not just Matthews and Jones. That's pickle the Pack are in.

Now it's easy to sit here and nitpick the Packers, but I could nitpick all the teams. Even the Saints. Green Bay is not alone in being a Super Bowl contending team with some holes. Everyone has em. Green Bay's happens to be the pass rush, which is a very important aspect of football.
bigfog
13 years ago

Boom or bust this year it seems. If no significant injuries (or legal suspensions, given the current state of things) I can see a very big year for the pack..

But, if either two of the above occur, we could be in trouble. For all his draft "stratagery" Ted Thompson has left some key positions precariously thin, and is placing a lot of faith in some pretty untested characters.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

What positions?

"bigfog" wrote:

Corners, mostly. Seems like a lot of faith is being placed in Underwood as well as Pat Lee. But say Underwood gets in some trouble and gets suspended, that leaves Woodson, Tramon Williams, Bell and Bush if I'm not mistaken (I probably am) for possibly the first few weeks of the season. Woodson and Williams are a good tandem, but the rest of those guys? The Eagles could be in for a big day on opening weekend.

The other position I'd say is outside backers. Yes, yes, this is beat a dead horse time. But, this position isn't in nearly the dire straits that the corner position is. I think Jones will step up, but it's certainly not a given and if he doesn't - who's going to replace him? Poppinga? I dread the thought.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Boom or bust this year it seems. If no significant injuries (or legal suspensions, given the current state of things) I can see a very big year for the pack..

But, if either two of the above occur, we could be in trouble. For all his draft "stratagery" Ted Thompson has left some key positions precariously thin, and is placing a lot of faith in some pretty untested characters.

"bigfog" wrote:

What positions?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Corners, mostly. Seems like a lot of faith is being placed in Underwood as well as Pat Lee. But say Underwood gets in some trouble and gets suspended, that leaves Woodson, Tramon Williams, Bell and Bush if I'm not mistaken (I probably am) for possibly the first few weeks of the season. Woodson and Williams are a good tandem, but the rest of those guys? The Eagles could be in for a big day on opening weekend.

The other position I'd say is outside backers. Yes, yes, this is beat a dead horse time. But, this position isn't in nearly the dire straits that the corner position is. I think Jones will step up, but it's certainly not a given and if he doesn't - who's going to replace him? Poppinga? I dread the thought.

"bigfog" wrote:

Please read THIS 
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I was never worried about the corners. I was worried about the safeties. When Bigby or Collins were hurt, we lost games in the first half. When 4 of our 6 CBs were hurt we only lost 1. I think that has been addressed with Blackmon, K Jones and Burnette. We have something like 18 DBs on the team to work through. Only 10 will be on the team. I am not worried about Williams, Woodson, Lee, Underwood, Bell and Harris. We also have other guys like Ford, Clark, Shields and a few others.

That first game in MN they were lucky to win. They had nobody on the injury report. The Pack were missing Bigby and Clifton. Tauscher wasn't back yet either. Colledge got the start at Tackle and eventually was hurt in the 3rd quarter. Even with this horrible luck, Lee dropped a 4th down TD in the endzone, Woodson got a phantom PI call on a pick in the endzone, a no name backup safety blew a coverage and let a TD walk in and the third string tackle let Allen by to sack Rodgers in the endzone. And we lost by only 7.

My conclusion, the teams were evenly enough matched the Vikings needed quited a bit of good luck to win. Since the Packers O-line was in shambles and the secondary had a huge hole in it, a healthy Packers team would have beaten the Vikings in spite of that luck.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (4h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (4h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (7h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (7h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (10h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (11h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (16h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.