IronMan
13 years ago
Right now we are a top 5 team in the NFC. The Vikings are the class of the division until we prove otherwise. I agree with Greg C. when he said the two Vikings games were the most disappointing. Favre was sacked 0 times, while Rodgers was sacked 14 times. Pathetic. Regardless of who the quarterback is for the Vikings this year, I want to see him on his ass multiple times.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Damn Zombieslayer and his statistics. Doesn't he realize they're just numbers and don't translate to real performance on the field?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Right now we are a top 5 team in the NFC. The Vikings are the class of the division until we prove otherwise. I agree with Greg C. when he said the two Vikings games were the most disappointing. Favre was sacked 0 times, while Rodgers was sacked 14 times. Pathetic. Regardless of who the quarterback is for the Vikings this year, I want to see him on his ass multiple times.

"IronMan" wrote:

14 plus sack difference we were still "mathematically" in each game going into the 4th quarter, but blew it.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

And since then, we did nothing about our OLB situation and our O-line shouldn't look that different.

The Vikings haven't changed a whole lot, either, but did some small things and were a better team that us already, last year. There's really no reason for them to kick our behind twice last year. Or three times, if it's necessary.

The defense hasn't proven a whole lot so far. We can stop the run, which is nearly obsolete in the league right now, but get BBQ'd against the pass against a good QB. We're coming back with the same two guys at OLB as last year. Our D-line will be Jenkins - Raji - Pickett, the way it looks now. Raji can collapse the pocket a bit, but Pickett won't rush the passer, he'll just eat up blocks.

Much like Jolly did last year.

I very much doubt that Raji at NT will make our pass rush that much more dominant.

And I'm not counting on Neal for an immediate impact. DTs and DEs very rarely come into the league and have a big rookie season.

I like the addition of a guy like Burnett and getting some guys back at CB, but that shouldn't be what we'd have to depend on. Even with Woodson - Williams - Bush we had a trio that was on par with a lot of teams. Given, the drop off between nr. 2 and 3 was somewhat big, but you can make up for these things with a good pass rush. The 2007 Giants had a horrible CB group, but dominated the LoS (on both sides).
porky88
13 years ago
You have to take into account improving from within. Just because you don't change players, doesn't mean you don't get better. The 2007 Packers added Frank Walker, but ended up hosting the NFC Title game. Meanwhile, the 2007 Bears made zero changes and they missed the playoffs after going to the Super Bowl the year prior. Nobody will convince me Frank Walker was the reason for the five game swing.

The Packers have a lot of upside at key positions. Whether or not they improve enough from within will determine how far they go. You look up and down the team, there are plenty of players that should get better and not that many that will regress.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

You have to take into account improving from within. Just because you don't change players, doesn't mean you don't get better. The 2007 Packers added Frank Walker, but ended up hosting the NFC Title game. Meanwhile, the 2007 Bears made zero changes and they missed the playoffs after going to the Super Bowl the year prior. Nobody will convince me Frank Walker was the reason for the five game swing.

"porky88" wrote:

Frank Walker is the key for the five win swing, because the other 52 men saw their future if they slacked off and that's what lit a fire under their asses.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

The Packers have a lot of upside at key positions. Whether or not they improve enough from within will determine how far they go. You look up and down the team, there are plenty of players that should get better and not that many that will regress.

"porky88" wrote:

Of course. Especially on a team like ours, we need our guys to make a leap from year 1 to 2. You can't survive without that when you sign the amount of FAs we do.

It's just that you have Brad Jones and Clay Matthews at OLB. Jones looks like someone who has to be 280 lbs of nearly pure muscle before he can take on a RT. And that will get to your speed.

Now, I'd be thrilled if he went from 240 to 250 in the weigth room, got stronger, learned some moves from Greene and gets after the QB this year, but I think that he'll still be a rather onesided guy. And someone who's not that amazing at those speed rushes, either.

And the same goes for Clay. Get a HB or TE to chip him, get him off his route and let the LT engage him. The battle is pretty much done from there. I think that the fact that teams had to double Cullen Jenkins had a lot to do with his outstanding rookie season, as well.

I found these numbers pretty interesting. Our OLBs got 1 sack between them on bullrushes. Matthews; 1, Jones; 0.

We really have a finesse rushing corps out there and that's just not always going to work. We're losing the battle against teams with beefy O-lines like Minnesota, just imagine what an athlete-filled zone team would do against us.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I found these numbers pretty interesting. Our OLBs got 1 sack between them on bullrushes. Matthews; 1, Jones; 0.

We really have a finesse rushing corps out there and that's just not always going to work. We're losing the battle against teams with beefy O-lines like Minnesota, just imagine what an athlete-filled zone team would do against us.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I think your standard is unrealistic. OLB's are almost always speed rushers because they need to be smaller guys to provide pass coverage. They are not likely to push a 340-pound OT into the QB's lap very often.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that last comment about "an athlete-filled zone team." That seems to contradict your statement about our OLB's not rushing the pass rusher well against bigger O-lines.
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

I think your standard is unrealistic. OLB's are almost always speed rushers because they need to be smaller guys to provide pass coverage. They are not likely to push a 340-pound OT into the QB's lap very often.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that last comment about "an athlete-filled zone team." That seems to contradict your statement about our OLB's not rushing the pass rusher well against bigger O-lines.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I get your point. Thing is, our guys are worse than most in the bullrush and strength department.

Take a look at the succesful 3-4 teams.

James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley are power guys. Woodley just runs through you at 265 and might even be a bit of a one trick poney. He's the other extreme in this thing. Expecting both our OLBs to be like James Harrison is wishful thinking, but he's a complete package. You can see him run LTs into the QB on one play and run around them the next.

The Cowboys have a complete package in Ware, while Anthony Spencer can get to the QB in multiple ways, as well. He won't always be pushing RTs into the QB, but he can hold his own and uses a variety of moves to get past blockers.

Terrel Suggs, complete package. On the other side they have Jarret Johnson, who plays like a dump truck. There's no speed involved, just dominating the O-line physically. But he's quite a mediocre player.

And what I mean with that last line is we're already struggling to get to the QB against a team like the Vikings, who have two 350 lbs tackles who kick slide about a well as high school OTs. Matthews couldn't get around McKinnie who struggled in pass protection quite a bit last year. What if you run into a team that plays a more finesse kind of O-line theory? A team that uses lighter linemen who are more agile. I don't think that we'd be able to get any kind of pressure on the Panthers, for instance. Not from the outside, at least.
RainX
13 years ago
If we didn't have an offensive line that was basically a turn-style considering both our starting tackles were out at the time, we beat Minnesota at least once last year.

My biggest concern right now is probably our pass rush and secondary depth. Jones is going to have to continue to develop to keep double teams off of Matthews since he's our only legitimate proven sack threat at the moment. With Harris likely starting the year out on the PUP, Williams remaining unsigned, and now Underwood's potential legal troubles, we might potentially be relying heavily on guys like Patrick Lee to hopefully stay healthy and finally contribute to the football team. Woodson can't do it by himself.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (22h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (23h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.