Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2010/06/16/2/ 

Rookie running back James Starks last played in a game more than 18 months ago, and he knows questions about his durability will linger until he gets back on the field and stays there.

Starks, who was selected by the Packers in the sixth round of this year's draft out of the University at Buffalo, sat out his entire senior campaign following shoulder surgery last August. While that missed time surely caused his draft stock to plummet, Starks said he is pain-free and is trying to look at the positive side of the year away from game action.

"People look at it as if, 'Man, he didn't play a whole season,'" Starks said. "I have to look at it as a good thing. I didn't take any bangs and I got to work out and get stronger, building my strength and endurance as far as my shoulders and everything. I should be fine."

Starks entered his senior year as a preseason All-America and All-Mid-American Conference selection. He was originally limited by the shoulder injury in spring practice, tried to play through it and aggravated the problem, which turned out to be a torn labrum.

His production was undeniable in the three years he did play at Buffalo as he finished his career as the school's all-time leader in rushing yards (3,140), rushing touchdowns (34), and points scored (222) despite missing that final year. He set a single-season school record with 1,333 rushing yards as a junior.

"James Starks is very explosive," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's a very athletic running back. He's a taller, high-cut type runner. You can see the ability, the natural running instincts. But he has a lot to learn.

"He missed plenty of time in college, he's missed some time here. Number one would be he needs to focus on his availability, and just his ability to play injury-free. And the second part of it is obviously just to catch up schematically and get into the technical things that we're asking our running backs to do."

Starks missed some time early in OTAs due to a hamstring injury, but has been back on the field the last two weeks. With the time missed, Starks said the importance of learning the playbook has taken on even greater significance as he tries to get up to speed as much as he can.

"I am going to be accountable, just as (Coach McCarthy) asked," Starks said. "I'm going to try to do my best to learn as much as I can and as fast as possible. Just stay in the playbook and be a sponge.

"You've just got to stay in there every day, live in the book basically. Take some time off, but then after that, it's a job. You have to learn the playbook in order to stay here. I've got to learn it."

With Ryan Grant firmly entrenched as the starting running back and fourth-year back Brandon Jackson settling into his role as a third-down back, Starks could be competing with Kregg Lumpkin for a roster spot. Lumpkin made the roster in '08 as a non-drafted free agent, appearing in two games, and spent all of last season on the practice squad.

"I just want to live (up) to everybody's expectations and I don't want to let anybody down," Starks said. "Like I said, I am just going to do what I can do. I'm not going to try to do too much. I'm just going to play within myself, play within what the coach wants me to do, and hopefully that will work out best for me."

Third phase
McCarthy said the Packers will only bring one kicker to training camp, veteran Mason Crosby.

Crosby connected on 75 percent (27 of 36) field-goal attempts in 2009, his third season, but endured a four-game stretch that saw him miss a field goal from 43 yards or closer in each contest. He still finished with 129 points, good for fourth among NFL kickers. His career point total of 397 is the most in NFL history by a player in their first three seasons in the league.

"He's done a good job in the offseason," McCarthy said. "He's outstanding in the strength and conditioning aspect of it. Very technical, he's a professional from that standpoint, and we look for him to have a very productive year."

While the kicking job seems to be set, the punting competition between first-year man Tim Masthay and rookie Chris Bryan is wide open and expected to be decided during the preseason.

"Frankly, I want to see both Tim and Chris punt in games," McCarthy said. "I think they have both done some very impressive things statistically through the workouts, through the practices. They both have a different dimension. They are different, obviously right-footed and left-footed.

"I think it is going to be a very good competition. I definitely like the talent level of both the punters and we'll definitely go into training camp and let these guys slug it out."

Whoever wins the punting competition will also be in the mix at holder. Backup quarterback Matt Flynn also has experience there, handling the holding duties as a rookie in '08 for the final four games, and for the first 13 games in 2009 before punter Jeremy Kapinos took over down the stretch.

"I'm sure the punting position will play the biggest part in the holding competition," McCarthy said. "Ideally you would like to go with your punter as the holder. Based on our past history obviously (we have) Matt Flynn, and we have some other guys that can do it."

Injury/participation update
Tight end Jermichael Finley was back on the practice field on Wednesday after missing some time last week due to tendinitis in his knee.

McCarthy said he didn't expect any of the players returning from significant injuries to participate in next week's mandatory mini-camp.

"Ted Thompson and Dr. McKenzie met this morning and then I had a long meeting with Ted before practice," McCarthy said. "We're projecting those guys for training camp, so I don't see anybody passing the physical next week in that injury group."

McCarthy confirmed that restricted free agent defensive end Johnny Jolly did sign his tender, but added that Jolly would be excused from next week's mini-camp due to his ongoing legal issue in Houston.

"There's a lot going on, and he needs to focus and make sure he has everything in line," McCarthy said. "These decisions that are going to be made legally will affect every aspect of his life, most importantly his personal life and then his professional life."

Final look
The Packers' mandatory mini-camp practices next Monday and Tuesday will be open to the public, weather permitting. Practice both days will be on Ray Nitschke Field starting at 10:45 a.m.

Murphy on NFL Network
Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy will appear on 'NFL Total Access' on NFL Network on Wednesday night at 6 p.m. CT to discuss the league's labor negotiations.

The show also re-airs at 9 p.m. CT and midnight CT.

Anyone else find this 'no competition' for Mason Crosby a bit contradicting when Ted and Mike BOTH say competition brings out the best in players?
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I'm very interested to see how good Starks is. Hopefully he can stay healthy so he can do his best.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Rockmolder
13 years ago
I'm very interested to see if he can even beat out Lumpkin. The people that think that he can just come in and take over for Brandon Jackson are crazy.

It's not that Jackon's that good, it's that Starks is so overrated.
shield4life
13 years ago
If Jackson doesn't have breakout season this year I think that just sums it up, he needs to have his best year.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Bigbyfan
13 years ago

If Jackson doesn't have breakout season this year I think that just sums it up, he needs to have his best year.

"shield4life" wrote:

He doesn't see the field enough to have a "breakout" season. He is our best receiving threat out of the backfield and does a solid job at pass protection. The only way I see his job being at risk is if someone else steps up big time.
blank
RainX
13 years ago
The competition for the two RB slots behind Grant is wide open imo. That's one of the more interesting camp battles I'm looking forward to.
blank
13 years ago

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

He doesn't see the field enough to have a "breakout" season. He is our best receiving threat out of the backfield and does a solid job at pass protection. The only way I see his job being at risk is if someone else steps up big time.

"shield4life" wrote:

Yup. Unless Grant goes down (god forbid), Jackson will continue being an effective 3rd down back this year, at the ripe old age of 24.
Dulak
13 years ago

It's not that Jackon's that good, it's that Starks is so overrated.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

no drinking for you rock - jackson is that good; great runner and great blocker - IMO better runner then grant.

that bad ankle sprain kept him off the field for the first part of the season last year.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
It's always good when you have natural talent for the position you play.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I may be the odd one out here but, I looked at the Starks' highlight video and his style reminded me of Jim Brown. Now, don't over react any one. I said style and reminded. Not that he is the second coming.

If you doubt me look the first youtube video that pops up when you search Jim Brown and compare the two. It is the one with Rob Zombie in the audio track.

The smooth catch out of the backfield, the churning legs in traffic, the break away speed. He even showed the lope once. Brown made moves on guys that were behind him or out of his range of vision. Starks showed that in one of the highlights. He also looked like he didn't get tackled easily or run out of bounds. The drive at the goal line on a couple of plays looked a lot like some of the ones in the Jim Brown video.

I am not saying Starks is good, but if you are going to look like some one, Brown is the best.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (23m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (24m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (44m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.