Greg C.
13 years ago

Sherman's best move might have been to insist on the Packers hiring a GM when he started, based on his lack of experience. His handling of Favre was atrocious and he had no QB coach the first 2 years. That's one thing I like about McCarthy, he seems to be a good QB coach and he also is becoming a better game coach.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

I'm not following you here. Sherman was hired by Ron Wolf, who was the GM at the time, and a year later Wolf stepped down, so Sherman took over GM duties as well. I can't recall ever hearing anything about Sherman insisting that the Packers hire a GM.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Sherman's best move might have been to insist on the Packers hiring a GM when he started, based on his lack of experience. His handling of Favre was atrocious and he had no QB coach the first 2 years. That's one thing I like about McCarthy, he seems to be a good QB coach and he also is becoming a better game coach.

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm not following you here. Sherman was hired by Ron Wolf, who was the GM at the time, and a year later Wolf stepped down, so Sherman took over GM duties as well. I can't recall ever hearing anything about Sherman insisting that the Packers hire a GM.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

I'm not familiar with that either. I do know that Bob Harlan said GM and HC should be held by two separate individuals instead of one.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
I think the only way he's gone is if the Packers fall flat this year. If they make the playoffs, he's safe. If they don't, he's probably gone.
JMO
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

Another thing, I hope McCarthy develops more of a "killer instinct" because it starts with him as far as the team is concerned.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

This is a great point. The team does struggle to finish opponents off.

Here is something interesting to ponder for people.

I think most people argue the four elite NFC teams going into the season are Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I'm not so sure that Mike McCarthy isn't the second best head coach out of that group. Worth pointing out.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
the lack of the killer instinct does suck ... the guy obviously never played Mortal Kombat.

For you old farts here's the theme music.
[mp3 width=400 height=20]http://packershome.com/zAudio/MortalKombat001.mp3[/mp3]

And the specific reference I'm referring to.
[mp3 width=400 height=20]http://packershome.com/zAudio/MortalKombat002.mp3[/mp3]
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm not familiar with that either. I do know that Bob Harlan said GM and HC should be held by two separate individuals instead of one.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

My bad, I was thinking he came in as GM/HC. Grey hairs cause memory loss. In that case Harlan should have stuck to what he believed.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

Another thing, I hope McCarthy develops more of a "killer instinct" because it starts with him as far as the team is concerned.

"porky88" wrote:

I think most people argue the four elite NFC teams going into the season are Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I'm not so sure that Mike McCarthy isn't the second best head coach out of that group. Worth pointing out.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

Wade Phillips has done way better than I thought he would do in Dallas.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
beast
13 years ago

I wonder how much, if any reason to keep Sherman on board was for Ted to more thoroughly evaluate other potential coaches?

"Greg C." wrote:

I've always thought that even though Ted was given full power as GM, he was hired with the understanding that he would try to work with Sherman for at least a year. I thought it was a bad match right from the beginning, and Harlan should've fired Sherman outright.

But you make an interesting point. Keeping Sherman around for a year did give Ted time conduct a more deliberate coaching search after the season.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yeah I've wondered that my self... also I'm not sure but it seemed like a lot more coaches were out there the year we hired Mike McCarthy than the year before. But it also did give Thompson another year to look... and Harlan probably did want to keep Sherman.

And from what I've heard Thompson was willing to work with Sherman but Sherman wasn't happy he lost his GM job and couldn't get past that to give Thompson a fair chance... and when GMs and coaches can't get along usually the GM wins it seem...

"porky88" wrote:

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

I agree that's has been something I haven't liked about MM... when the Packers have a close lead late he seems to play not to lose... and trying to take time off the clock more so than to keep putting points up on the board.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
13 years ago
I think you would have to see very bad season, less than 4 wins, without huge injury losses to explain the season. I think a solid season keeps him here, the team seems to have too much potential and chemistry to go back into rebuilding mode under a new HC. Do it oldschool, give your coach a chance to really settle in, very few teams that swap out coaches every few years are successful.

36-26 overall record in 4 years, one championship game appearance, a crazy crazy loss in last years playoffs on an even crazier play. I dont think these are the sort of numbers that get a guy ran out of town.

Its funny to see so many people comment that he isn't aggressive enough, because to me, comparing him to Sherman, the thing i notice most is that the guy has some balls. Sure, he's not the gutsiest guy in the league, but he's far far from the most conservative either. What you guys are saying about "playing not to lose" 95% of coaches in the NFL do the same.

Edit: Oh, you could also make a decent case that Mike McCarthy was one of the biggest contributing factors into turning BF's career around, once he started buying into Mike's system, he had one of the best years of his career in 2007.
blank
Silentio
13 years ago

Mike McCarthy is not going anywhere and it would be a mistake to even consider a move.

McCarthy is the mastermind behind one of the very best offenses in the NFL. McCarthy also knows Rodgers better than he knows himself with no dropoff after the loss of a HOF QB. A new HC means a new offense. That's how it works. Anybody want to see that? I know I don't.

If it would mean a change on D I wouldn't want to see that either. They just installed this one.

I can see no good coming out of a coaching change and to do so because we don't win two playoff games or whatever, well, a change would probably reduce the following years chances to do better.

As far as previous coaches and the time they were given, well, to be honest they were lousy coaches. Sherman had everything he needed to win at least two SB's in the early 2000's and couldn't do it and the others never showed they had the team going in the right direction.

Lastly, we have a team here now with the kind of talent on the final 45 that is at the least very close to the level our SB teams. That, in no small way, has to do with the relationship between McCarthy and Thompson who work together and listen to each other. You make HC and GM changes when the teams going the wrong way and unless I'm way off that's the opposite direction I see this team headed.

"warhawk" wrote:

+1 Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (4h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (4h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (4h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (20h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.