Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

I wonder how much, if any reason to keep Sherman on board was for Ted to more thoroughly evaluate other potential coaches?

"beast" wrote:

I've always thought that even though Ted was given full power as GM, he was hired with the understanding that he would try to work with Sherman for at least a year. I thought it was a bad match right from the beginning, and Harlan should've fired Sherman outright.

But you make an interesting point. Keeping Sherman around for a year did give Ted time conduct a more deliberate coaching search after the season.

"Greg C." wrote:

Yeah I've wondered that my self... also I'm not sure but it seemed like a lot more coaches were out there the year we hired Mike McCarthy than the year before. But it also did give Thompson another year to look... and Harlan probably did want to keep Sherman.

And from what I've heard Thompson was willing to work with Sherman but Sherman wasn't happy he lost his GM job and couldn't get past that to give Thompson a fair chance... and when GMs and coaches can't get along usually the GM wins it seem...

Another thing, I hope McCarthy develops more of a "killer instinct" because it starts with him as far as the team is concerned.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This is a great point. The team does struggle to finish opponents off.

Here is something interesting to ponder for people.

I think most people argue the four elite NFC teams going into the season are Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I'm not so sure that Mike McCarthy isn't the second best head coach out of that group. Worth pointing out.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree that's has been something I haven't liked about Mike McCarthy... when the Packers have a close lead late he seems to play not to lose... and trying to take time off the clock more so than to keep putting points up on the board.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

If you can remember back to '96, Holmgren reigned in Favre to keep him from losing the Super Bowl. ST got us field position and after the Patriots swung momentum in the 3rd quarter, ST scored to put the game back to 2 scores and the D took over the game, led by Reggie and back to back sacks. Favre and the Offense didn't score the entire second half. They played a field position and don't make a costly mistake game.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Greg C.
13 years ago

Its funny to see so many people comment that he isn't aggressive enough, because to me, comparing him to Sherman, the thing i notice most is that the guy has some balls. Sure, he's not the gutsiest guy in the league, but he's far far from the most conservative either. What you guys are saying about "playing not to lose" 95% of coaches in the NFL do the same.

"earthquake" wrote:

That's where I'm at with it too. I've been frustrated at times by lack of aggressiveness when leading late, but then I watch other teams and I see the same thing. And overall I think McCarthy is pretty aggressive, probably more than most coaches.
blank
Dulak
13 years ago

Mike McCarthy is not going anywhere and it would be a mistake to even consider a move.

McCarthy is the mastermind behind one of the very best offenses in the NFL. McCarthy also knows Rodgers better than he knows himself with no dropoff after the loss of a HOF QB. A new HC means a new offense. That's how it works. Anybody want to see that? I know I don't.

If it would mean a change on D I wouldn't want to see that either. They just installed this one.

I can see no good coming out of a coaching change and to do so because we don't win two playoff games or whatever, well, a change would probably reduce the following years chances to do better.

As far as previous coaches and the time they were given, well, to be honest they were lousy coaches. Sherman had everything he needed to win at least two SB's in the early 2000's and couldn't do it and the others never showed they had the team going in the right direction.

Lastly, we have a team here now with the kind of talent on the final 45 that is at the least very close to the level our SB teams. That, in no small way, has to do with the relationship between McCarthy and Thompson who work together and listen to each other. You make HC and GM changes when the teams going the wrong way and unless I'm way off that's the opposite direction I see this team headed.

"warhawk" wrote:

nice post warhawk

we have IMO the best group of receivers in the NFL - I wouldnt really want to have to see them learn all new plays.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I think firing McCarthy would be the worst decision that you could possibly make. By doing that, you get rid of all the chemistry that this team had. McCarthy knows everything about this offense, and everyone on the team is behind him.

If you fire him, it will take a good 2-3 years to get fully used to a new offense.

We have one of the best offenses in the NFL. I don't know about you all, but I don't want to get rid of that. If we fired him, that's what we would be doing.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
13 years ago
There have been some brilliant posts here on this thread (As Usual) on Packers Home.

Kevin has built a site that has attracted great football minds, and not random idiots. I think this was, and is his part of the original Packers Home mission statement. This is why I learn so much here.

I learn more here than I do on ESPN or CBS Sports line... That is a fact, and it is an education from great football minds that are not professional writers or even former players, but loyal, educated, football fans who understand the game with unparalleled knowledge.

Educate Me.

My thoughts are this... A team only has a window for so long. Ted... with his draft and MIke with his brilliant development of Arron has given this team the window. The window was opened last year 2009.

My prediction was the Packers win it all in 2009.

I was wrong. I take full ownership of that fact.

But I think they could have won it last year, and this year. That would have been two in a row.

FACT IS THERE ARE SOME HEAD COACHES, MANY IN FACT, THAT JUST NOT CAN PUT THE FINAL PIECES TOGERTHER.

They are great coaches... Brilliant builders and developers, but just can not put it all together after the 16th game of the season.

Is this Mike? I do not know? I hope not.

But.... And this is a big but..

A team does not have to change the whole Offense and scheme to move on from a coach that could not close the deal.

There are plenty of Coaches out there in Free Agency that could tweak this team to a championship in 2011 if Mike does not win a Superbowl.

I am not saying Mike is one of them, but there are many coaches It will never happen for them. It might be that they are too timid, to much of a players coach, too much of a corporate follower, or what ever.

The difference between great and good is "ABOUTTHISMUCH" three small little spaces.

With this team, With this QB. Anything less then a Super Bowl Appearance will be solid grounds for a career adjustment.

Mike... We love you, we want you as our Assistant Head Coach and OC. But we think Gruden might be able to take us to the next level with a minor tweak and addition to your incredible talents.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
bozz_2006
13 years ago
I get where you're headed RP, and I think on one level you're right. There are coaches that just can't get you there. When I picture that guy, I see Marty Schottenheimer. Head coach for a LOT of years and on some very good teams, but never quite could quite break out. I don't think Mike is that kinda guy. He's too tough for that. I think he is very much in a parallel position to the team he has fielded for the last few years. Young talent, flashes of brilliance. Young head coach, flashes of brilliance. The team isn't a bunch of polished vets. So when they falter, they tend to falter big-time (think 50 sacks, Tampa Bay loss). But when they're firing on all cylinders, they're basically unstoppable. With more time together, and more experience in pressure situations, I think McCarthy can maximize the damage this team inflicts while we're "on", and minimize self-destruction mode when they're "off". These things don't just happen. It takes time, and it takes experience. This team grew a LOT last season, and I think our young head coach did too. This seriously could be the year that they put it all together and bring the Lombardi trophy back home.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
I've wondered quite a few times whether Mike wouldn't have made for a better OC, rather than a HC.

Thing is, I don't think we're ever going to find out what his full potential will be. He's like that wacky scientist. He never really looks like a highly intelligent man to me, he's always playing dumb, but those flashes of brilliance you see in games are absolutely priceless.

He and Chilly are actually quite alike, if you ask me.

Brilliant football minds, act dumber than they are and we just have to see how both work with the players and if they can ever get over that hump.

That's a whole lot of nothing in quite a post, btw.
warhawk
13 years ago

There have been some brilliant posts here on this thread (As Usual) on Packers Home.

Kevin has built a site that has attracted great football minds, and not random idiots. I think this was, and is his part of the original Packers Home mission statement. This is why I learn so much here.

I learn more here than I do on ESPN or CBS Sports line... That is a fact, and it is an education from great football minds that are not professional writers or even former players, but loyal, educated, football fans who understand the game with unparalleled knowledge.

Educate Me.

My thoughts are this... A team only has a window for so long. Ted... with his draft and MIke with his brilliant development of Arron has given this team the window. The window was opened last year 2009.

My prediction was the Packers win it all in 2009.

I was wrong. I take full ownership of that fact.

But I think they could have won it last year, and this year. That would have been two in a row.

FACT IS THERE ARE SOME HEAD COACHES, MANY IN FACT, THAT JUST NOT CAN PUT THE FINAL PIECES TOGERTHER.

They are great coaches... Brilliant builders and developers, but just can not put it all together after the 16th game of the season.

Is this Mike? I do not know? I hope not.

But.... And this is a big but..

A team does not have to change the whole Offense and scheme to move on from a coach that could not close the deal.

There are plenty of Coaches out there in Free Agency that could tweak this team to a championship in 2011 if Mike does not win a Superbowl.

I am not saying Mike is one of them, but there are many coaches It will never happen for them. It might be that they are too timid, to much of a players coach, too much of a corporate follower, or what ever.

The difference between great and good is "ABOUTTHISMUCH" three small little spaces.

With this team, With this QB. Anything less then a Super Bowl Appearance will be solid grounds for a career adjustment.

Mike... We love you, we want you as our Assistant Head Coach and OC. But we think Gruden might be able to take us to the next level with a minor tweak and addition to your incredible talents.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

RP, I think looking for a SB win with the team in the first year of the 3-4 may reflect higher expectations than what is reasonable. We all have high expectations for this team. Why? Because it's a good football team.

If you look at the teams that went deep, however, you find pretty solid defensive teams that did not just reset their schemes. I see an advantage there for the Vikings and Boys and Jets and Colts in '09. When it got down to the money games and the playoffs I felt we were not quite where we needed to be defensively.

I was happy with the progess the defense made. It needs to be better this year and more consistant but I actually look at THIS year as the year the defense can step up more consistantly and at least hold down high scoring teams to something below what our offense can put on the board.

As far as Gruden I would take McCarthy over him. He did win one but really other than that he never did much. Forget McCarthy being an OC uder Gruden. With the turn over in HC's if they brought Gruden in on a Saturday Mike McCarthy would have a HC job by Monday.

So where you had 2009 as the year I was pinpointing '10 as the season we should go very deep. If the injury list stay moderate we can play with anybody and last years one-and done- will prove valuable as we go into that stretch. Every player on the team knows they should have never lost that game.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

I wonder how much, if any reason to keep Sherman on board was for Ted to more thoroughly evaluate other potential coaches?

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

I've always thought that even though Ted was given full power as GM, he was hired with the understanding that he would try to work with Sherman for at least a year. I thought it was a bad match right from the beginning, and Harlan should've fired Sherman outright.

But you make an interesting point. Keeping Sherman around for a year did give Ted time conduct a more deliberate coaching search after the season.

"beast" wrote:

Yeah I've wondered that my self... also I'm not sure but it seemed like a lot more coaches were out there the year we hired Mike McCarthy tthe year before. But it also did give Thompson another year to look... and Harlan probably did want to keep Sherman.

And from what I've heard Thompson was willing to work with Sherman but Sherman wasn't happy he lost his GM job and couldn't get past that to give Thompson a fair chance... and when GMs and coaches can't get along usually the GM wins it seem...

Another thing, I hope McCarthy develops more of a "killer instinct" because it starts with him as far as the team is concerned.

"Greg C." wrote:

This is a great point. The team does struggle to finish opponents off.

Here is something interesting to ponder for people.

I think most people argue the four elite NFC teams going into the season are Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I'm not so sure that Mike McCarthy isn't the second best head coach out of that group. Worth pointing out.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I agree that's has been something I haven't liked about Mike McCarthy... when the Packers have a close lead late he seems to play not to lose... and trying to take time off the clock more so than to keep putting points up on the board.

"porky88" wrote:

If you can remember back to '96, Holmgren reigned in Favre to keep him from losing the Super Bowl. ST got us field position and after the Patriots swung momentum in the 3rd quarter, ST scored to put the game back to 2 scores and the D took over the game, led by Reggie and back to back sacks. Favre and the Offense didn't score the entire second half. They played a field position and don't make a costly mistake game.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

IMO Holgrem did a very poor job of coaching in both SBs and Wolf did a poor job(bad decisions) of keeping the team together the second SB year. We shoud have won both very handily. The Pats weren't all that good and a return like Desmond's has a certain amount of luck in it. We should have won easily, but at least we won. Denver I don't even like to talk about.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Gruden won a Super Bowl with a Tony Dungy built team.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (10h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (10h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (13h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (14h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (16h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (17h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (22h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (22h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.