Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

He is by Packer fans, but I think you're underrating him when you compare him to Donald Lee.

"porky88" wrote:

Fair enough.. I really just threw in the Lee numbers to illustrate that Chewy only had three.. three good years.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Thing is, Chmura played on a team that won a Super Bowl and was viewed as an important player on the team's success, which he was. That is why he's going into the Packers Hall of Fame. He helped return the title back to Titletown. Without a good blocking TE who was also a threat to catch over the middle, the running game would have slacked as would the slant passing attack which was a staple in the offense.

"pack93z" wrote:

Yes he helped bring back a championship to Green Bay.. so did 50 some other players that year.. do we elect all the "good" players from that year Zero?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

As quoted, I said Chmura was viewed as an important player on the teams success. He wasn't just any player on the roster, he was our 3 time MVP's security blanket, but hey go ahead, let's add the practice squad players too. Where would the team have been without the scout team to go against, right?

Whoa, hold the phone!! I'm not the only one who's lives in Green Bay? Here I thought since '85 I'd been the one and only. On a positive note, there's not 102k voices in my head, ehh only bout half dozen.

I just don't know of anyone who thinks so highly of Chmura and I've talked to a lot of people around this area bout Packers and especially the Super Bowl team. The consensus has been basically ... guy had the right set of tools at the right time.

Those who do over rate him, I'm gonna have to guess it had something to do with him playing a face role in the team winning, you know, a Super Bowl for the first time in a few decades, lol. And I'm thinking the three Pro Bowl appearances didn't hurt either.

I don't see a problem with Mark Chmura in the Packer Hall of Fame. I see the Packer Hall of Fame as a collection of former players who had a positive impact on the team above others. Chmura was one of those players, in my opinion.

I'm still flabbergasted --- I'm not the only one who lives in Green Bay, are you sure about that?? ;)

He is by Packer fans, but I think you're underrating him when you compare him to Donald Lee.

"pack93z" wrote:

Fair enough.. I really just threw in the Lee numbers to illustrate that Chewy only had three.. three good years.

"porky88" wrote:

Three is better than a lot of players give and those three years also were considered best in the conference class, as he was voted to the Pro Bowl three times.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Do I have a issue with Chmura being in the Hall.. not really... but like I said.. his merits are borderline at best IMO. I guess I think there are guys from that team that had more impact and aren't in..

So I wonder what the criteria is for the voters?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Do I have a issue with Chmura being in the Hall.. not really... but like I said.. his merits are borderline at best IMO. I guess I think there are guys from that team that had more impact and aren't in..

"pack93z" wrote:

During the return of the glory years, Chmura was in the pro bowl three times and was Brett's security blanket over the middle.

At the time, Chmura was one of ... I'd say top five TE's in the league during his prime.

Who else deserves to be in there that's not? I'd say off the top of my head, if he's not, Desmond Howard should be in there. He had only one good year, but Brett and Mike both have said they wouldn't have made it to or won the Super Bowl without him.

I too wonder what the criteria is. I'm guessing what I said earlier is how it's done on some level.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
13 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"porky88" wrote:

I'll say 1 good year. 2 above average and a 4th that wasnt crap. Other than that.........meh. Chewy saved his greatness for the kids in the bathroom, lol.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Greg C.
13 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

The thing about that '96 team is that once you get past the three stars (Brett, Reggie, and Leroy Butler), it's hard to single anyone out. They were all good players, but who was better than who?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Mark Chmura proves himself worthy of Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame 
BY MIKE VANDERMAUSE MVANDERMAUSE@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM JULY 17, 2010

Its been nearly a decade since Mark Chmura was acquitted of third-degree sexual assault charges in suburban Milwaukee.

Although Chmura was legally cleared, the reputation of the Green Bay Packers Pro Bowl tight end took a major hit in subsequent years.

Any discussion of prom parties and hot tubs ultimately led to bad or tasteless jokes involving Chmura. His name has been dragged through the mud countless times, and some view him with disdain or disgust.

But the time to move on is long overdue. Chmuras induction into the Packers Hall of Fame on Saturday night at the Lambeau Field Atrium should help in the healing process and serve to formally welcome him back into the Packers family where he belongs.

This is not meant to excuse Chmuras behavior a decade ago. Chmura himself has admitted he was guilty of bad judgment and immature actions. He has apologized, but more importantly, has spent the last 10 years serving as a productive member of society and solid citizen.

For those who dont believe Chmura is worthy of Hall of Fame induction based on character issues, the time has come to let go.

It would be different had Chmura been convicted of a crime, but a jury found him not guilty. The fact he has nevertheless paid a heavy price in the form of public scorn should give those who stand in judgment their pound of flesh.

To his credit, Chmura has never played the victim card and suggested people feel sorry for him.

Instead, in the midst of public ridicule, he picked himself up, gritted his teeth and moved forward. He became a better husband and father and has contributed to his workplace and community.

What more can we possibly ask of him?

Denny Tattum, Packers Hall of Fame vice president of sales and marketing, said a players off-field activities, both good and bad, are taken into account during the selection process.

Chmura, No. 1, was acquitted, said Tattum. Chmura, No. 2, has really been in a lot of ways a staunch supporter of the community he lives in. Professionally hes upheld his part of the program as far as his commitment to the community, his job and his family.

Some choose to dwell on past mistakes and wallow in what-ifs. But one measure of success is how a person responds to adversity and failure. Chmura has passed that test with flying colors.

It would have been easy for Chmura to flee the state, yet he chose to stay among us to begin the painful process of rebuilding his reputation.

Had Chmura continued a pattern of questionable behavior, the critics would have reason to doubt him. But over the past decade Chmura has changed the course of his life by doing the right things.

He was honored not only for his past on-field accomplishments, but also his ability to move on from the past and learn from it.

I cringe as I post this, knowing full well the kind of discussion that is likely to result from it. So just to forestall any expressions of contempt at our justice system for failing to convict Chmura, I here post the legal definition of third-degree sexual assault. I want to make it abundantly clear that the jury made the correct decision in acquitting him. This was not a case of a rich man getting off easy; according to all evidence presented, he did not commit the crime for which he stood accused.

According to Wisconsin state statute, child enticement constitutes "the intent to: commit an act of first or second-degree sexual assault; cause the child to engage in prostitution; expose a sex organ to the child or cause the child to expose a sex organ; or take pictures or make audio recordings of the child engaging in sexually explicit conduct."

Chmura did none of these things. Therefore, he was rightfully acquitted.

Anyone who would brand a 31-year-old man a pervert for playing with a 17-year-old woman stands in judgment not only of that person but of the vast majority of human history. It was not until the 20th century that relationships between men and women of similar ages became anything resembling the norm.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Shawn?
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
13 years ago
He has admitted what he did was wrong. He has admitted that he was not a mature man at that time of his life. Even though it did not define the legal interpretation of the law he was attempting to do the sick thing.

I applaud him for taking ownership of his actions in recent interviews. That is the first step. Good for him.

Does he belong in the Packer Hall Of Fame? NO!

One of the things that I cherish about this team is its structure, foundation, and the very unique pedestal that it stands on above every other team in the NFL.

Community Owned, Family Day, An Extremely Small Town Aberration in a big city NFL Corporate World, Kids (Including Young Girls) waiting on bikes in the Parking lot for that special opportunity, The wonderful 46 year old desk clerk at the Tundra Lodge who is still 20 years away from getting a Season Ticket.

Imagine just for a moment.... Imagine if there was never a Green Bay Packers Football Team before. Now imagine that community trying to get an NFL Expansion Team. Imagine if the people of Green Bay said... We can do it. We can build a Stadium, We can sell it out, We can be a Superbowl contender in 2010/2011

Albuquerque New Mexico would laugh at the people of Green Bay, and say "Fat Chance" Us First.

That pedestal is obvious the moment one steps into Green Bay, and the Packer Hall Of Fame is an example of the best of the best that have contributed to that very unique contribution. Football. Family. Community. Respect.

Hell I would put Jolly in the Packers Hall Of Fame before Mark.

A person can be born into the world of drugs, but No one is born into the world of trying to bang a child in a bathroom.

Perhaps in 20 years the Packers can review his induction based on his contribution to society at that time.

Right now I would sentence him to 20 years, and then give him a parole hearing as to if he can get his name in the Packers Hall Of Fame.

20 years is a fair sentence for his sick actions. Make him think about it for 20 years.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
I swear we had this discussion.. hmmmm.. oh yeah.. we did. ;)

http://www.packershome.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=9355.html 
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.