all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Not exactly a slam on the kid, but not a ringing endorsement either. We knew out of the draft the kid was a punishing blocker who needs to brush up on his all around FB skills.

Mike McCarthy then says Quinn looks good. Good, not bad. Good. Mike McCarthy also makes an excellent point, Quinn is a thumper --- which is hard to evaluate without pads on. Hardly a slight on Quinn there.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I think we're interpreting his comments different - which for the record is fine. I took the "he needs to line" to mean that he is in his second year and hasn't stood out yet. Mike McCarthy emphasizes so much on player progression from year 1 to year 2, so I took it as odd as McCarthy not saying "He has made a jump" as he has indicated with players like Underwood.

As for the "looking good" comment; I've realized Mike McCarthy rarely comes out and criticizes players. FFS, he said the same thing about Allen Barbre... I was sort of reading between the lines, but when you do that there is no guarantee that you get at what person's true inner thoughts all the time.

I guess my main issue is that people are seemingly thinking Johnson has one spot locked up, and the other two players will battle for the remaining one... That's not accurate at all. A simple breakdown of snaps shows that Kuhn played 247 snaps on offense, Johnson played 137, and Hall came in third at 118. Hall also missed 5-6 weeks with an injury. If anything, you'd assume based off those numbers that Hall and Johnson would be competing for the second FB spot.

But my point is that it's pretty silly to anoint Johnson as having one of the two spots locked up, and thinking it'll be up to Kuhn and Hall to compete for the other one.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
I think one thing to note is that Hall and Kuhn basically bring similar skill sets, don't they? If Johnson brings something a little different, it may very well be between Hall and Kuhn.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

I think one thing to note is that Hall and Kuhn basically bring similar skill sets, don't they? If Johnson brings something a little different, it may very well be between Hall and Kuhn.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

That is a great point you make, and I'd agree with you that Hall and Kuhn bring similar skill sets.

But the thing is, in my opinion, those skill sets fit our team very nicely. Neither is going to be mistaken for all-pro blockers, but they do it pretty well. Neither will be splitting out wide as WRs, but both have shown themselves to be decent at receiving, and Rodgers has confidence in them to throw them the ball should plays break down. Put differently, they are decent last resort check-down options.

But when I say the fit in well with our offensive system, their physical skill set fits our zone scheme very nicely. In the zone scheme, outside of cutting D-linemen, you want some blockers on the second level. Hall and Kuhn have the quickness to get to that second level and occupy blockers. Quinn Johnson does not. Outside of short-yardage situations and goal-line situations, Johnson doesn't offer a heck of a whole lot to you. Arguably though, Kuhn offers just as much as Johnson if not more in goal-line situations, what with his ability to block decently, sneak out and catch-passes, or run the ball in (as we've seen, Mike McCarthy likes to hand-off to Kuhn in goal-line situations).

So while Kuhn and Hall bring similar skill-sets, I think they fit pretty darn well with our system. Much more so than Quinn Johnson's skill set. I still think it'll be a three-man competition, with the best two staying on. Kuhn might have a jump on one of the spots based on my thinking above, but I don't think anyone can say with any confidence that any of the players has a lock on any one roster spot. Which many imply, based on the "Hall or Kuhn stay" line of reasoning.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
beast
13 years ago

I don't really have any faith in Havner. I don't see him being a threat to opposing defenses (they can just throw a LB on him).

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I agree when a defense is playing man to man it has been easy for teams to just cover Havner up.

BUT when a defense is playing zone Havner finds the hole and gets open and once he gets the ball, he's very good at playing avoid the defenders game zig zagging he's way to TDs...

4 TDs in 7 catches... I'm not sure why defenders lose him in zone but as long as he keeps scoring for the Packers it's good :thumbright:

That's kind of why I want to keep 4 TEs for this year.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

Reported at the beginning of summer :
Whispers 

Our sources in Green Bay would not be shocked if the team released a sizable number of familiar veterans this offseason. Included on the list of potential casualties is eighth-year TE Donald Lee, who is now looking up at Jermichael Finley on the depth chart; sixth-year LB Brady Poppinga, whose pass-rush shortcomings could prove to be his undoing; fifth-year CB-S Jarrett Bush; and fourth-year OT Allen Barbre. We also hear it's almost a given that one of the team's three fullbacks (John Kuhn, Korey Hall or Quinn Johnson) will be sent packing.

"68md" wrote:

Does this all hold true or have things changed here at the end of summer ?

most of us already knew that these guys could get ousted already ... but as far as lee and pop I have a feeling we keep them even thou their production is lacking.

like other posters already said - we do we have to replace pop as a backup? and lee is better then err cant spell his name (the new guy).
although I could do without seeing the ball thrown to lee in the endzone (did he drop it 2x last year in the endzone?)
viks game and?
porky88
13 years ago

Pop on the game against San Francisco. Quinn Johnson made some outstanding lead blocks for Ryan Grant. During that game, I saw some of the best blocking by a Green Bay FB since William Henderson IMO.

Also, he really is just a one dimensional player. He's a lead blocker. That's kind of it. He's not going to stand out unless the pads are on and there is hitting.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

That's the thing though, you see some good stuff but when you watch game film you see Quinn Johnson is pretty damn slow. Outside of thumping people, he doesn't do much.

He's not offering you much in the passing game as a FB-receiver option or much in the run game as a short yardage back option. With our offensive system, you'd like some agile and versatile players. Johnson, simply put, isn't that versatile. Khun and Hall, on the other hand, actually are more-so than him.

"porky88" wrote:

Well yeah and that's something the Packers are going to have to decide. Do you want versatility? Personally, I want a thumper as a FB. I feel like a lead blocker is more important to the team than a pass catcher out of the backfield. I make life as easy for Ryan Grant as possible.

I've said this before, but just because everyone says Jarrett Bush is a good special teams player, doesn't mean he actually is. When is the last time you can remember Jarrett Bush making a good play on special teams? Exactly.

Similar to how everyone says Brett Favre is a clutch qb. Actually , he sucks when the game is on the line. Great regular season qb. Playoffs/when the game is on the line, not so much. As much as he's choked in these situations, it doesn't stop people from saying, "Brett Favre is the guy I want on my team when its clutch time."

And with Bush, it doesn't matter how many bone headed plays/penalties he makes on ST, people will still say that he is a ST ace. I don't get it.

That said, I don't think Jarrett Bush gets cut. He has an unofficial lifetime contract with the Packers it seems.

"IronMan" wrote:

There is much more to special teams play than racking up tackles. Are you disciplined? Are you in the right position? Bush is all those things. I wouldn't call him a league wide special teams ace, but as far as the Packers are concerned, he's one of the better special teams players on the team, which helps his cause.

Will Blackmon has shown potential to be more than just a return man. If he's healthy, he could knock Bush out. I think that's a tidbit worth watching.
earthquake
13 years ago
I honestly dont think we need someone who is a receiving threat and all these other things as a lead-blocking fullback. With our FB(Hall or Kuhn) and TE's, we have enough of those sort of "tweener" guys that can do some blocking and do some catching. Johnson was drafted for a reason, and that is to lay people the F out.... Is that enough to stay on the roster? Well, it was enough for them to use a draft pick on the guy, so there must be some people who think so.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

But my point is that it's pretty silly to anoint Johnson as having one of the two spots locked up, and thinking it'll be up to Kuhn and Hall to compete for the other one.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

No sir, I do not think he has one 'locked up'. I do however think his play will lock one up for him though. I think he'll prove to be a punishing blocker. I tried finding it, but failed, although Ryan Grant said he likes it when Quinn is in front of him. I don't recall him saying something similar about Kuhn or Hall. So, it may have been just one of those 'ill throw in a good word' type of comments.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
13 years ago
I think Hall is the odd man out in the FB battle. The main reason is availibilty. I may be wrong, but it seems Hall has been consistently injured the past couple seasons.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I got a little worried when I saw the title of this thread, then I started to calm down after I saw the names.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (19h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (20h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (22h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (23h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.