Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
The O line situation and being down to our third safety had more to do with Favre having a better game than Rodgers last year. It still took a dropped TD in the endzone on 4th down and bad PI call on Woodson, also in the end zone, to beat us by 7.

Add up Rodgers turnover to score ratio and his turnover to yards ratio and he ranks up with Joe Montana and Steve Young. Favre ranks up there with Jay Cutler. Factor in QB rating and completion percentage and it really becomes evident. If Rodgers gets better over the years like all the other QBs did, he will easily be the best ever.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Gravedigga
13 years ago

Favre was surrounded with a lot more weapons in Minnesota, a better offensive line, and a cute dome with air conditioning.

Rodgers was surrounded with some weapons (mainly our WRs), a semi-average offensive line, and outdoor conditions.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Here we go again with you guys. You say he had a lot more weapons which couldnt be further from the truth. His weapons coming into the season were much worse, esepcially considering he never played with them. I would definitely take the Packers weapons on offense over Minnesotas. For all the talk of Minnys "great" O-line, they couldn't run block worth shit and it was all on Favres shoulders at the end of the year. That o-line provided him with multiple ass kickings at the end of the year(Arizona, Chicago, New Orleans) off the top of my head.

Receivers.........are you kidding. The packers had and still have the best group of receivers in the league IMO. Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson and the two tight ends vs Harvin(rookie), Rice(nothing before Favre showed up), Berrian(overrated, one trick pony), Schianko(nothing before Favre showed up).

Grant vs Peterson I give you that but Peterson fumbled away games with his 7 fumbles while Grant stayed consistent and got good in the 2nd half of the year and fumbled once. Also, for all this talk, Grant had 4.4 yards per carry and 1253 yards vs Petersons 4.4 yards per carry and 1383 yards. Not a significant difference. 11 TD's vs 18 but that's more reflective of field position than anything else.

Stop trying to discount what Favre did by making stuff up about weapons. Only makes you look bitter.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

I agree with you that the receiving arsenal Rodgers has is superior to that of Favre. However, you can't also completely minimalize the Vikings receiving group. Visanthe Shiancoe wasn't nothing before Favre as he had 596 yards and 7 tds the year before Favre (as opposed to 566 and 11). Guys like Rice and Harvin are young and Favre certainly helped them out, but they also matured and got better on their own as well.

That said, I think over the course of the year, the offense around Rodgers and Favre probably weren't that far off one another. They had different strengths and weaknesses but on the whole the two are relatively even. Over the whole of last year Favre and Rodgers both played extremely well and you could make legitimate claims one way or another which one played better.

However, in the context of what Jamie Dukes has said, that Rodgers can't be better until he beats Favre, you can't say Rodgers had the better situation in those two games with the way his oline played. He was sacked 14 times in those two games. That was the difference. The Vikings dominated the line of scrimmage and Favre and co made us pay. Rodgers got beat to living hell and almost dug us out of holes in both games. I don't think you could flip the quaterbacks and get a different outcome. As you said Gravedigga, Favre got beat up in a couple of games the Vikings play. They lost those three games and Favre didn't play particularly well. Those couple games wouldn't be the right indicator for judging how good Favre was on the whole last year.

"G-Force" wrote:

Agreed, they are pretty much interchangeable at this point. I'll say that the Packers gameplan was flawed as far as protection goes. No excuse for 14 sacks in 2 games with NFL lineman. You can move the pocket, chip block, keep a tight end or fullback in.

I will say that the Saints loss was one of the gutsiest games i've ever seen Favre play. I thought for sure he was done when he was on the cart after taking the shot to his legs. They lost but really, last year was one of the most enjoyable football seasons I've watched ever. 2 great teams to root for, lots of exciting games, great performances, great finishes. Hopefully this year will be as good.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

Also as they say "you have to beat the man to be the man" but I would take Rodgers over Favre right now.

BTW Rock I thought they ruled the last play an INT because his arm was coming foward and not a fumble.

Rodgers did choke in OT noone can deny that, he missed a wide open Jennings that would have ended the game and then he had the int/fumble to end the game.

"dhazer" wrote:

Okay so because he missed a receiver down field, he choked? That's one play.

The other plays, he was doing good, until his OLine took a vacation *cough* Daryn Colledge *cough*.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Favre is a great player. Rodgers has certainly shown he will probably be a great player. I'm glad we had and have both. Most people don't appreciate how extremely rare it is to have a great player suceed another great player at a position.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT
13 years ago
Didn't Dukes claim that Tarvarais Jackson was going to have a better year than Rodgers two years ago? So much for what he thinks.

I got mad at Dukes one night when he said that Vick did not have the mental capacity to handle the questions being thrown at him when he was reinstated. I guarantee if a white commentator made those remarks, he would be unemployed the next day, in fact it has happened several times.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.