Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
For the last 2.5 years, Grant is the second most productive back in the league. That is not mediocre.

Jackson had and incredible 60% conversion rate on third down receptions. Better than the team's average. He is not the best runner, but he is pretty solid receiving out of the backfield. And he knocks defenders out with sledge hammer blocks.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I believe I was the first person on this site to point out a couple of years ago that almost all of Grant's long runs come off the right. My observation initially met with some skepticism, but gradually people started to realize I was right (no pun intended). Ever since, I grumble under my breath when I see Grant get stuffed up the middle, but I don't bitch too loud because I know the majority of his yards come up the middle. However, I pitch a fit whenever I see him clobbered to the left for a loss, because it's brutally obvious our team can't get anything done off the left, and I don't understand why McCarthy can't seem to see it.

The reality is, though, Grant is about as likely to get stuffed for little to no gain as he is to make positive yardage. Though it's purely an intuitive judgment (not backed with statistics as my above conclusion is), it seems to me that when the offense simply must get that last inch or two up the middle, they're almost better off sending Rodgers on a sneak as they are running Grant behind this line. I wish it weren't so.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9475 

Statistics seem to disagree, non. Though I would have agreed with you based upon my observations. Seems like our best is off the left tackle, though the right sideline plays are pretty good, and certainly better than running it up the middle. Here's his 2009 statistics:

BY PLAY DIRECTION	ATT	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	REC	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	FUM	LST
Right Side		74	333	4.5	37	3	6	28	4.7	11	0	0	0
Left Side		88	452	5.1	62	5	9	102	11.3	27	0	0	0
Middle			33	130	3.9	17	0	7	46	6.6	11	0	1	1
Left Sideline		36	117	3.3	26	1	1	3	3.0	3	0	0	0
Right Sideline		51	221	4.3	22	2	2	18	9.0	13	0	0	0

First 5 columns are rushing stats, next 5 are passing.

Taking out his best runs, averages are 4.05, 4.48, 3.53, 2.6 and 3.98

Just remember that for short yardage situations we're more likely to pound it right up the middle for a short gain, and the defenders will probably expect it which in part explains the worser stats up the middle. It does surprise me that we don't really run it up the middle all that often.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
True, though that one 62-yarder (Pittsburgh game, if I remember correctly) does skew those statistics. When one actually watches the game, it's fairly obvious runs to the right are more productive, though runs to the middle seem to be the meat and potatoes of our running game.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
We seem to run outside the tackles about 30% of the time. Not sure what the league average is on this.
blank
fudge-packer
13 years ago

Ryan Grant is not bad, but he isn't great either. He has the potential but either he is stubborn or he isn't being coached right. People love that he falls forward all the time (and I do too) but the problem is he will just fall forward even if there's a gaping hole right next to him! If he can just learn to keep his eyes up maybe he will become an elite running back but until then, he will just be another solid running back who can give you 20-30 carries a game.

"Chris401" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (17h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
    dfosterf (18h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
    beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
    Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.