RajiRoar
13 years ago

Bishop is taking his case to the media.

"I know what I can do, but I'm not sure they do," he said of the Packers. "I think I'm just caught in a situation where my talents can't flourish here. It's frustrating because I love the guys that we have and everything, but I feel like I can be, and I will be one of the top tier linebackers in the NFL if I get the opportunity."

He said his status as a sixth-round pick has hurt him in trying to beat out a couple of No. 1s in A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett.

I can understand his frustration. However... Suck it up and use it as motivation young man.

"VinceLambeauStarr" wrote:

I don't really believe the bold highlight (what he said).

We have seen quite a few players come in over the past 5 or so who got recognised for their on field play when given the chance, and not their draft number.

Few examples

Ryan Grant (6th Round Pick for NYG)
Josh Sitton (4th round)
Johnny Jolly (6th Round Pick)
Atari Bigby (Undrafted, picked up after unsuccessful stints with Dolphins and Jets)

My opinion? yep, same as yours. SUCK IT THE FUCK UP AND REALLY SHOW US BY DISTANCING YOUR PERFORMANCE FROM THE STARTERS.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

none of those people were competing against a 1st rounder.

i hate to sound like an ass, but if you dont believe draft position creates a bias you are a fool.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Stevetarded
13 years ago

"I know what I can do, but I'm not sure they do," he said of the Packers. "I think I'm just caught in a situation where my talents can't flourish here. It's frustrating because I love the guys that we have and everything, but I feel like I can be, and I will be one of the top tier linebackers in the NFL if I get the opportunity."

He said his status as a sixth-round pick has hurt him in trying to beat out a couple of No. 1s in A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett.

I can understand his frustration. However... Suck it up and use it as motivation young man.

"RajiRoar" wrote:

We have seen quite a few players come in over the past 5 or so who got recognised for their on field play when given the chance, and not their draft number.

Few examples

Josh Sitton (4th round)
Atari Bigby (Undrafted, picked up after unsuccessful stints with Dolphins and Jets)

My opinion? yep, same as yours. SUCK IT THE FUCK UP AND REALLY SHOW US BY DISTANCING YOUR PERFORMANCE FROM THE STARTERS.

i hate to sound like an ass, but if you dont believe draft position creates a bias you are a fool.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Well, Jolly did but it was against a rookie who was injured to start the season.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

I would rather see Hawk start. In the limited action that I've seen of Bishop he always looks slow in coverage and doesn't seem to know his assignments (a game against the Seahawks comes to mind). It worries me somewhat that Bishop is getting the nod ahead of Hawk in the nickel package - now Chillar is playing OLB occassionally - as I've always thought the biggest knock on Bishop was his speed, or lack of it.

"masseyattack" wrote:

100% agreed.
blank
RajiRoar
13 years ago

Well, Jolly did but it was against a rookie who was injured to start the season.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

.... and every season of his short, soon over career?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
13 years ago

"RajiRoar" wrote:

Few examples

Josh Sitton (4th round)

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Now now, do not apply the same theory for every team accross the board.

Some teams stick steadfast to players because of draft postion, the Packers are more flexible.

Desmond Bishop is entering his fourth year, I refuse to believe that it is Barnett and Hawk' draft position that determines Bishop's position as a backup (at the moment).

Barnett was drafted in 2003, A J in 2006, plenty of time for both of those guys to show they are NOT worthy of a starting role.

I hate to sound like an ass, but if you do not believe the Packer management awards starting roles based on performance you are a fool.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
RajiRoar
13 years ago

Some teams stick steadfast to players because of draft postion, the Packers are more flexible.

Desmond Bishop is entering his fourth year, I refuse to believe that it is Barnett and Hawk' draft position that determines Bishop's position as a backup (at the moment).

Barnett was drafted in 2003, A J in 2006, plenty of time for both of those guys to show they are NOT worthy of a starting role.

I hate to sound like an ass, but if you do not believe the Packer management awards starting roles based on performance you are a fool.

These (bolded) I will debate,first off I wouldnt put it passed the Packers or any team to favor 1st rounders, (why else would we still have Harell)

as for performance, if not for Chillar's injury A.J. isn't even on the field in the nickle packages, which we are in 50%+ of defencive snaps.

and Bishop has matched or upped all of our LBs when he is in(pre and reg season)

i'm no scout, and i wont pretend to be but when Bishop plays, he gets the stats, tackles and creates turnovers which IMO puts him atleast ahead of Hawk.

not tryin to argue but thats the way it is upstairs

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Greg C.
13 years ago

"RajiRoar" wrote:

These (bolded) I will debate,first off I wouldnt put it passed the Packers or any team to favor 1st rounders, (why else would we still have Harell)

as for performance, if not for Chillar's injury A.J. isn't even on the field in the nickle packages, which we are in 50%+ of defencive snaps.

and Bishop has matched or upped all of our LBs when he is in(pre and reg season)

i'm no scout, and i wont pretend to be but when Bishop plays, he gets the stats, tackles and creates turnovers which IMO puts him atleast ahead of Hawk.

not tryin to argue but thats the way it is upstairs

The Harrell comparison doesn't work. Harrell didn't even take up a roster spot last year. Harrell was drafted in the first round because of his potential, and he is still on the team because of his potential, not because he was a first round pick. Correlation is not causation. If he was a free agent with that kind of potential (having been a big-time player in college) I think he would still be on the roster.

As you say, Chillar has taken plenty of snaps away from Hawk in passing situations, which is proof that performance can trump draft position.

And I simply don't agree with you that Bishop has matched or upped all of our LB's in preseason and the regular season. He's been great in the preseason, but in the regular season, he's been a mixed bag. He makes some nice plays but he also makes some mistakes. A possible explanation is that in the preseason the game is simpler and Bishop can rely on his seek and destroy instincts. In the regular season the game is complex and Bishop is vulnerable to getting duped and blowing assignments.
blank
Blank402
13 years ago

Those convinced Desmond Bishop should be an every-down player should have seen Tuesday nights practice.

Given the opportunity to play with the starters for the entire practice in base and nickel for the first time this summer, Bishop did what he often does in his few real game opportunities.

That is, he gave up too many plays.

A day after he was thrown into a new-look nickel package, he also got the base reps because Nick Barnett was resting his surgical repaired knee.

Bishop might be a powerful hitter and a decent rusher, but he once again struggled in coverage. He gave up a long catch to tight end Jermichael Finley on a seam route for a 21-yard gain in the 7-on-7 two-minute drill. In the same drill, he gave up the winning touchdown to Donald Lee on first-and-goal from the 6-yard line with 16 seconds left. He also was in coverage on Nelsons deep seam route.

Sure, Bishop made some noise, like when he knocked off Finleys helmet after the tight end made a short catch in the flat but for every big play he makes, he seems to give up one, too.

Maybe thats why in his first three seasons, he never received any consistent playing time.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100803/PKR01/100803164 

The fact is Bishop just isn't that good. He makes the flashy plays in preseason that get everyone excited, but whenever he plays in the regular season he allows just as many big plays as he makes.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
On the radio today, the DJ persona said when he thinks of Bishop he's reminded of the play against the Vikings where Adrian juked his jock off. And he uses that play as why Bishop doesn't deserve to be starting.

That's kind of bogus if you ask me. How many players has Adrian made a fool of in his short career? That's almost as dumb as saying Mike Singletary, Ronnie Lott, etc don't deserve their praises because the grabbed at air while trying to tackle Barry Sanders.

I like Bishop. I just don't think he can start for us.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

"RajiRoar" wrote:

Few examples

Josh Sitton (4th round)

"RaiderPride" wrote:

That isn't true, you don't hate to sound like an ass. :neener:
The thing about draft position bias only works if they are rookies or in a rookie contract. Bishop is just not that good. Demovski had an article calling out all the people clamoring for a preseason stud to take over for an alternate to the probowl. Bishop has gotten playing time and failed. Not miserably, he just failed to be consistent. Against starters, he makes up for missed assignments and poor technique by being unable to cover.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (16h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.