Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Josh Bell, Brandon Chiller, Al Harris, Chuck Woodson, John Kuhn, Charlie Peprah, Donald Lee, Ryan Pickett and Derrick Martin.

What do all these player have in common?

All free agents or trades.

There are about a half a dozen more Un-drafted FAs. And another half a dozen or so 1 year waived free agent players. Like Gilbert Brown was.

The fallacy that Ted Thompson doesn't use other methods than the draft is just not true. Just because he is not picking up over 30 big name (big paycheck) players doesn't mean he is ignoring everything else. Those over 30 FA players will only play for a year, maybe two competitively. Then they will be gone or suffering from a steep drop off in ability. We will have an extremely short time to win a superbowl before the team collapses and we have to start over again. Like the '90's Packers.

If luck, bad breaks, injuries etc conspire to keep you from your one shot at glory, it will be a long wait before you get another one.

If you draft smart and pick up players no older than 28, you will have players that can contribute for 5-10 years through the peak of their careers, instead of 2 or 3 years of declining ability.

The sad, tired old refrain that Thompson only drafts is done. Not a valid argument. It is just an excuse for people who hate Ted Thompson to complain.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
He has done a great job. Does anyone know what his contract situation is?

I love it every year but honestly, we Packers fans are known as homers, lol. Every year we think we're really really really good. Or if we get on any kind of run that we're going to win the Super Bowl (ala late last season). And thats what makes Packers fans so fun!

Personally, I am still not sold on Mike McCarthy as a head coach in this league and the D. You don't get beat down like that in Arizona unless you have some major weaknesses. Maybe it was all a fluke but that was a beat down. I still worry about our pass defense, we get a ton of INTs but Woodson another year older, who knows. I am cautiously optimistic overall because I think this offense is going to put up a lot of points but Mike McCarthy and the D still worry me.

Also Vikings are just as good as last year and the Saints are still the defending champs and the Cowboys look good too. I think the NFC bye is going to be tough to attain.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago
RedSox - We're homers because we can be. We are amongst the elite teams in the NFC, which also include the Vikings (only if Brett plays), the Saints, and the Cows. The Cardinals fell off that list because of Warner's retirement. They'll struggle this year. The Niners will work themselves up onto that list within a few years, if not next year.

The Eagles will learn the hard way how good McNabb was. The Giants seem to be declining.

Amongst elite teams, it's anyone's guess which one of them will represent the NFC in the SB. Us Packer fans hope it will be us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
13 years ago

He has done a great job. Does anyone know what his contract situation is?

I love it every year but honestly, we Packers fans are known as homers, lol. Every year we think we're really really really good. Or if we get on any kind of run that we're going to win the Super Bowl (ala late last season). And thats what makes Packers fans so fun!

Personally, I am still not sold on Mike McCarthy as a head coach in this league and the D. You don't get beat down like that in Arizona unless you have some major weaknesses. Maybe it was all a fluke but that was a beat down. I still worry about our pass defense, we get a ton of INTs but Woodson another year older, who knows. I am cautiously optimistic overall because I think this offense is going to put up a lot of points but Mike McCarthy and the D still worry me.

Also Vikings are just as good as last year and the Saints are still the defending champs and the Cowboys look good too. I think the NFC bye is going to be tough to attain.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

McCarthey needs to learn how to step on a jugular and put the game away. I'll judge our pass defense when we don't have street free agents playing because 3 of the top 5 corners are on IR.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

RedSox - We're homers because we can be. We are amongst the elite teams in the NFC, which also include the Vikings (only if Brett plays), the Saints, and the Cows. The Cardinals fell off that list because of Warner's retirement. They'll struggle this year. The Niners will work themselves up onto that list within a few years, if not next year.

The Eagles will learn the hard way how good McNabb was. The Giants seem to be declining.

Amongst elite teams, it's anyone's guess which one of them will represent the NFC in the SB. Us Packer fans hope it will be us.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I agree 100% that this is an elite team but I also fear we may be putting too many expectations on this team. It is a very young team and I worry they are not going to live up to expectations because some of the weaknesses from last year still there - e.g., MM.

We should easily make the playoffs - if we don't, this season was a huge failure and heads should fall but SB, I don't know, I don't see it just yet. That AZ game was very discouraging for me.

From what I remember last we did not do very well against elite QBs - thats troubling when you expect to make it deep into the playoffs and win it all. Favre beat us down twice, Big Ben was unstoppable, Kurt Warner destroyed us. I think Romo was the only good QB we beat. The schedule last year was pretty weak.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The Cardinals game was discouraging for you? Our team came from 21 down (something no prior Packers team had ever accomplished) to tie the game in the final minutes. They scored 45 points!
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

The Cardinals game was discouraging for you? Our team came from 21 down (something no prior Packers team had ever accomplished) to tie the game in the final minutes. They scored 45 points!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

They allowed 45 points, including 500+ yards in regulation. How is that not discouraging. I agree the offense is awesome but the defense and coaching scares me. Allowing that many points and yards to a team that was ranked 14th in total yards and 11th in total points last year is not a good sign. The same Cardinals team that got smoked the next week against the Saints.

If you want to win the Super Bowl your defense cannot get bombed like that in a playoff game. Maybe it was all a fluke that game but Big Ben and Favre did the same to the Packers pass defense (but beating Flacco and Romo is a plus). Its all good and mighty to beat down the Lions and Browns of the league, but there is a huge difference between that and beating playoff teams.

I was discouraged by the D's effort and the D strategy 100%. If that makes me a hater, so be it but I still think the D is shotty. Hopefully they prove me wrong. Kolb in week one will be a good test.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago
RedSox - 2 of the past 4 SB winners had mediocre Ds. The '06 Colts had the 23rd ranked D and last year's Saints had the 20th ranked D in terms of points allowed (which is by far the most important stat).

It used to be D wins championships. Now it's heading towards a powerhouse O and a D that can get takeaways at crucial moments. Does that latter description sound familiar? Practically describes us to a T, except our D let us down against Kurt Warner. One crucial INT would have won that game for us. It didn't happen.

With the exception of '07, recent SB wins have featured elite QBs and I pretty much guarantee the SB winner this year will feature one of the NFL's elite QBs - Rodgers, Brees, Favre, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Kurt Warner, with an asterisk for Romo.

Romo is elite in regular season but barfs in the Playoffs. I'm still waiting for this to change. It may never happen or it may happen this year.

So am I discouraged? No. We are one of the teams who will win the SB and both conferences will feature one of the QBs I mentioned above. We got as much shot as anyone to win it all.

(Warner is now retired but I won't rule him out in '10 if a Playoff caliber team's QB went down for the season).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If Kurt unretires, he's a Cardinal, he can't join any team. I believe he's under contract for two years for the Cardinals?
UserPostedImage
voiceofreason
13 years ago
How is Kolb a good test? Kolb is a huge question mark. You must have meant our defensive backfield is a good test for Kolb!
blank