zombieslayer
13 years ago

I think we have 14 o linemen right now.

Cliffy, Colledge, Wells, Sitton and Tausch--- 5

Bulaga, Spitz, Lang and Giacomini--- that's 9

Marshall Newhouse, Allen Barbre, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Nick McDonald and Chris Campbell. That makes 14 total.

I said get rid of two FB's---

I'm not married to the concept, but I'm thinking about this o-line when I say it.

Who do you think stays or goes on this line, and did I miss someone--?

"dfosterf" wrote:

I'd be fine getting rid of 2 FBs. I'd rather have the linemen.

FBs will be sooner than later a thing of the past.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Marshall Newhouse, Allen Barbre, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Nick McDonald and Chris Campbell. That makes 14 total.

I'm not married to the concept, but I'm thinking about this o-line when I say it.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Are we talking this year or next?
Gone this year: Colledge, Barbre, and 2-3 of these four: Spitz, Giacomini, McDonald, Campbell.
Next year -- need to be thinking of replacement on roster sooner rather than later because nearng retirement: Tausch and Clifton. (if current depth replaces them as starters, will need new depth)
Next year -- will be a possible roster spot that can be improved: Wells, Newhouse, Dietrich-Smith, whoever of Spitz/Gicomini/McDonald/Campbell makes this year's roster.

OL is *always* a priority.

:horse:
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
13 years ago

I'm really trying not go after anyone's work in order to get my point across here. Just because a player is a tackle in college doesn't mean he projects to be that in the NFL. If someone said he was a tackle, that person was completely wrong. If Ted Thompson thought it, he was wrong too.

"porky88" wrote:

Actually, despite training as a guard for pretty much his entire pro career, Colledge played well at LT when filling in for Clifton in '06 and '08, so they weren't "completely wrong" just because he sucked filling in at LT in '09. Who knows how he would have done as an NFL tackle if he had been trained at tackle instead of guard for the last 4 years? I don't. You don't either. We can only speculate. People who know much more about evaluating prospects than either of us had him as a good NFL tackle prospect coming out of college.

Part of being a talent evaluator is taking a player and projecting him to the NFL. There is a reason why Ken Dorsey went in the 7th round I believe and not the first-round. He did not project to the NFL. Look at Graham Harrell. There is also a reason why Brad Smith plays WR and not QB.

There's also a reason Tom Brady went in the 6th and Kurt Warner went undrafted. Colledge went in the 2nd. Not sure what your intended point is with this statement, but I assume it's about Colledge being a guard prospect. Show us a prospect evaluation on him saying he doesn't project as an NFL caliber tackle. I've shown you one saying he was one of the best LT prospects in the draft, now it's your turn to back up your claim.

In the case of Colledge, you had a college tackle, who projected to be a guard in the NFL. He isn't good enough in space to play left tackle. He doesn't have the feet or the arms to do it. Frankly, I don't think he's powerful enough to handle a bull rush. I don't think he ever was. In his defense, coming out, he didn't play in a pro style offense at Boise State. Their offense is very simplified, so his learning curve was steep and they could hide his weaknesses more.

His arms are the same exact length as Clifton's.

Guards play against DTs who are bigger and stronger than DEs, so I also disagree about him not being strong enough to take a bull rush from a DE.

Now has he played LT for the Packers? Sure, but he's always been primary a guard. It's what they plugged him in as right away. The only reason he lined up at tackle was because the Packers had awful depth behind Chad Clifton.

You say the only reason he filled in at tackle was the awful depth behind Clifton, while completely ignoring the reality that the reason he played guard at all was that the Packers were way worse off at guard when he was drafted than they were at tackle. That's why they converted him to guard, not because he was an awful tackle prospect, but because he was versatile and they had a total disaster at guard after losing Whale and Rivera the year before.
porky88
13 years ago

lTed did think he was a tackle, too--

But,

Porky has it correct, again, imo Ted was wrong, Porky was right.

-- so there are two of us.

...and T.J. Lang will NEVER be a great left tackle, either (shoutout to Pack93z, lol)

"dfosterf" wrote:

Finally... someone who gets me :thumbright: Hey, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn.

You know, I'm sure there were people out there that felt Colledge could play LT. Maybe Mel Kiper and maybe Ted Thompson did, but I don't care. I wasn't one of them, which is why when I call him a guard, it's because I think he's guard. For the record, debates range on inside front offices about players all the time. Look at McCarthy saying he disagreed with his coaches about Lang. That very well could of happened inside 1265 about Colledge.

I remember I first heard the idea of Colledge succeeding Clifton on the radio. I had to go back at old games and look to see if it was a possibility. I was not impressed with that idea. I form my own opinions. I don't always follow in line with what the alleged experts say.

And Truth be told, the only experts are ones working in the NFL and Mike Mayock IMO. Beyond that, I don't think anyone else can call themselves an expert talent evaluator, which is why I put stock into what I have to say before what some link to some website has to say.

Oh and I agree with you and on T.J. Lang. I also think he's a guard. I believe he should be the LG of the future. Maybe a RT, but definitely not a LT IMO. I also don't think Ted Thompson was truthful when he said that he thought Lang could play LT. I think he was fibbing because he knew what he wanted at that time and didn't want to show his cards.
tromadz
13 years ago

"Tezzy" wrote:

I'm scared of keeping only 1 FB unless one of our TEs or OL can play the HBack role at times

"dfosterf" wrote:

Why not? Could you imagine Spencer Havner coming out of the backfield to block for Grant or run a pass route? Lord knows he can catch. Quarless might be decent at that too.

That actually excites me. I'm for this.