stevegb
13 years ago
From what I'm hearing about Shields is we shouldn't be thinking of him as a kick returner but as a gunner and potentially as a legitimate 4th corner for this season and maybe a starter in a few years. Sure hes raw as a corner but he seems to be a lot more involved than lee or underwood.

Also I wasn't able to watch the game but how did Burnett look and how did Bishop play and also where abouts is Zombo playing?
blank
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Underwood - Getting picked on a lot, but he IS covering the Seahawks' best receiver (TJ H.).

"go.pack.go." wrote:

To be fair, Underwood (if he wins Nickle job) will occasionally be matched up against the other teams top two receivers, especially considering the Packers like to have Woodson play inside CB (and frankly he is outstanding at it, which is no easy task). So it is a bit of a damper to see Underwood not holding his own, but then again I highly doubt Capers is going to force him in man coverage with no pass-rush or make him play zone coverage 10 yards off. In other words, I'm not too worried about Underwood's performance today.

Jarret Bush, on the other hand, was disappointing. He is a dime back at best right now, and even that is a scary thought. Seriously, we are going to be in some trouble if Pat Lee goes down in the first six weeks of the season.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Breno Giacomini - CUT HIM NOW. I saw him miss blocks SEVERAL times. I don't think I saw one good thing from him.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

It looked like he was setting himself too far one way, and then the opposing player would take advantage and go inside/outside the other way and beat him.

That is correctable, for the record. I do not agree with cutting him, he has some decent talent to work with.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
porky88
13 years ago

Breno Giacomini - CUT HIM NOW. I saw him miss blocks SEVERAL times. I don't think I saw one good thing from him.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

It looked like he was setting himself too far one way, and then the opposing player would take advantage and go inside/outside the other way and beat him.

That is correctable, for the record. I do not agree with cutting him, he has some decent talent to work with.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

He seems to be hesitant against speed rushers. I think he knows they have an advantage on him because of his size. I would say there is a confidence issue.

With that said, he's one of the last guys on the roster if he makes the team.
nerdmann
13 years ago

Barbre is done in Green Bay.

Kuhn looked a better runner than Porter. If this trend continues I can see us going with Grant and Jackson at HB and two FBs.

"British" wrote:

Porter's much faster. Quicker. Sprained his ankle, though. That's why Jackson came back into the game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RajiRoar
13 years ago

Does anybody know why Derrick Martin was ejected from the game? They didn't show what happened on the Packers' broadcast.

"tromadz" wrote:

They said "low blow" but I didn't see anything. If they ever show it, someone make a gif out of it.

"Mr_Bumpy" wrote:

I was AT the game and nobody could figure out what happened, this mystery needs solvin'

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Russell Okung shelved with ankle injury

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks could be without sixth-overall draft choice Russell Okung for a while after he left Seattle's second preseason game with an ankle injury.

Coach Pete Carroll said after Green Bay beat Seattle 27-24 on Saturday night that the left tackle to whom Seattle just guaranteed $29 million to replace retired All-Pro Walter Jones could have a high right ankle sprain, pending an MRI exam Sunday. Those sometimes take two months or more to heal.

"It's pretty significant," Carroll said of the loss of the foundation to his changing offensive line. "Obviously we made it as big a priority as we could make it to get him."

Carroll said he didn't know how Okung got injured, only that it stings the entire team that is banking on improved offensive line play to lead a comeback season from 9-23 the last two years.

He sprained the same ankle in Oklahoma State's opener against Georgia last season but missed only a few plays. The 6-foot-5, 310-pound stalwart started all 13 games for those college Cowboys last season, though the ankle continued to bother him late into the year.

Mansfield Wrotto, normally a guard, replaced him. Seattle is already without backup tackle Ray Willis for an indefinite time because he is facing knee surgery.

After Okung missed the first eight days of training camp because of a contract impasse, the Seahawks gave him a six-year deal earlier this month that has a maximum value of $58 million.

"That's a big loss if he can't come back. We put a lot of time and effort to get this guy right and he's done everything we've asked of him," Carroll said. "We'll see what it is. I don't know how long it's going to take."

Asked if it could be more than a couple of weeks that a more conventional, lower ankle sprain sometimes needs to heal, Carroll said: "It could be. We don't know that yet. We'll figure him out. We don't know him as a healer, either."

For a point of reference at the same position, Seattle was without fill-in left tackle Sean Locklear for six games last season because of a high ankle sprain. Locklear is now starting on the right side but could be headed back to left tackle with Okung's injury.

Okung was not in the Seahawks' locker room following the game.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
For those of you who saw the game (you lucky bastards), a question about the DL.

How did Raji at NT compare to Pickett there?

How did Pickett look at DE?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
GoPack1984
13 years ago
I'm not an expert but here is who stood out to me:

Aaron Rodgers: Just awesome.

Ryan Grant: He only had a few runs, but he looked a little faster to me and more explosive.

Finley and Jennings: Both made great receptions, nothing new.

Bulaga/Rest of the offensive line in the 1st half: Rodgers and Flynn had good protection/lots of time.

Mason Crosby: Great 51-yard kick.

Brandon Jackson: Nice runs and TD in the 4th quarter.

John Kuhn: Good explosive running.
blank
RainX
13 years ago
I only got a chance to catch parts of the second half, but here are my thoughts.

Allen Barbre - It's amazing how this guy can go from Week 1 starter a year ago to pretty much being off the football team at the end of camp this year. His bad whiff caused a Flynn fumble and if he is having trouble blocking Seahawks scrubs in the second half, no way he should make this football team again.

Brandon Jackson - Soldified himself as the number 2 back. It's just to bad he wasn't healthy at this time a year ago or we probably could have kept Tyrell Sutton around.

Porter/Lumpkin - I like Lumpkin, but the guy can just not stay healthy to save his life so it's time to move on at the end of camp. Porter is at worst on the practice squad if not on the 53-man roster as the 3rd RB assuming we see nothing from Starks in the final weeks of camp. I'm still wondering why we did not make a stronger push for Westbrook before he signed with SF with Starks on the shelf. He can't be any worse than the 3rd string options we have on the current roster at the moment.

Flynn/Harrell - Flynn is definitely making some nice progress and is definitely building up the team's confidence as being the team's no. 2 QB. Harrell is still definitely a work in progress, but he made a couple of nice throws and lead that TD drive late in the 4th quarter. If he can keep it up, the Packers will probably keep him around as their practice squad QB but he probably won't make the final roster.

Kuhn - If it comes down between John Kuhn and Korey Hall for starting FB, you have to go with Kuhn right now. His versatility last night spoke volumes. I think it's to early to give up on Johnson right now. He's the hammer you need on goal lines and definitely has the tools necessary to be the backup FB. I like the team trying to give him opportunities in the passing game even if he's dropped a few.

Shields - If it comes down to carrying a 6th CB behind Harris, Woodson, Williams, Lee, and Underwood I'm going with Shields over Bush. Obviously the guy has a lot to work on as being a returner, but he offers a lot of other potential as a CB/Gunner that should at least be given a year to try and blossom. I'm ready for the Jarret Bush experiement to be over. His illegal contact penalty and being out of position on throws from Whitehurst (that only saved him because they were to far out of bounds for the receiver) are enough to see from me he's not going to get any better. He's had three years and on and off stints as the nickel CB to show progress and he's frankly done little with it. With the depth we have at safety now along with his one saving grace of being a Gunner are now both replaceable by guys we have on the current roster. I just hope we finally pull the plug on him and move on at the end of camp.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.