Dulak
13 years ago
ya I dont know - Id rather keep lee over crabtree; even thou lee dropped some key passes last year he is still a real good TE that knows his shit.

part of it havner can be sort of counted as a back up LBer/ST guy ... I think they will keep finley/lee/havner/quarless drop crabtree ...
unless they can trade lee and ya then Id go for that.
doddpower
13 years ago
Any chance Crabtree will make it to the practice squad?
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers: Crabtree makes a splash at tight end, cast and all

Tom Ziemer | 608-252-6174 | tziemer@madison.com | Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 5:00 am

GREEN BAY As he walked to the home locker room at Lambeau Field late in the first half of the Green Bay Packers' preseason opener against the Cleveland Browns last Saturday night, Tom Crabtree couldn't stop the negative thoughts from entering his mind.

His left hand had been bothering him for most of training camp, but at this point it was worse than ever. The first-year tight end had drawn considerable praise from the coaching staff through the first two weeks of camp, but he envisioned all of his hard work going down the drain.

"Always in the back of your mind, (you're) kind of thinking worst case something's broken or torn or whatever," said the 24-year-old Crabtree, who was hurt on special teams duty.

Luckily for Crabtree, that didn't turn out to be the case. After X-rays, an MRI and CT scan didn't show a break or tear; he was diagnosed with a bone bruise and a sprained wrist. Crabtree was fitted with a hard cast on Tuesday, and by Thursday he was getting used to catching the ball with a layer of plaster over his left palm.

"If anything, it's going to help me probably in the long run catching the ball, because I've got to concentrate much more and really be good with my hands," said Crabtree, whose cast extends from his forearm to the bottom of his fingers.

Crabtree's receiving skills aren't what have endeared him to the Packers' coaching staff, though. He's proven to be a powerful and relentless blocker since Green Bay signed him to its practice squad late last season.

"I like him a lot. Really kind of an old-fashioned football player," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I like the way that when he's in a blocking drill, you can hear his shoulder pads, you can hear some contact. He's not a guy who reaches and grabs with his hands and tries to hold on and steer people. Fundamentally he does things you like. He appears to be a bright guy. He picked up our system well. I like his competitiveness."

Crabtree would seem to be an unlikely candidate to achieve training camp darling status.

He shared time in college at Miami of Ohio, where he caught just 40 passes for 329 yards and two touchdowns in four years while splitting work with Jake O'Connell, who is in his second year with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"When we went to evaluate him, we usually have cut-ups of every throw that you can watch to the tight ends coming out, and he had maybe five plays on his," tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said. "He was a hard guy to find. We had to go do some digging. But we liked what we saw. He's a tough, gritty guy, he just didn't get the opportunities. And sometimes you can't control that as a player."

Crabtree is making the most of the opportunity in front of him.

That's entailed playing through pain, and now, dealing with the cast. Crabtree said he has been told an injury like his could heal in a matter of weeks or could last longer. He may try a softer protective option for Saturday night's preseason game at Seattle that would make it easier for him to catch the ball.

"At this point, you've got to be out there," said Crabtree, who has a tattoo that says "Determined" on his left forearm. "You're going to have pain. It's the most physical game in the world. You're going to have some pain. You just have to play through it. I feel like I have to be out there."

Whether the Packers have room for Crabtree on their final roster remains to be seen.

Green Bay also has veteran Donald Lee, converted linebacker Spencer Havner and fifth-round pick Andrew Quarless behind budding star Jermichael Finley. Lee, a seven-year veteran who is coming off a disappointing season, once was the team's undisputed best blocking tight end, but McAdoo admitted Crabtree is "up there" with Lee.

Crabtree also has made strides as a receiving threat since being used in different capacities on the scout team last season. And he has shown the makings of being a valuable special teams contributor.

"There's some good things happening and being said, but when it comes down to it, whether I'm not getting those compliments or getting any attention, I'm going to approach things the same way and just come in here, do my job, pay attention in the meetings, fix what needs to be corrected," Crabtree said. "It doesn't really change my approach. I'm going to work just as hard either way."

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Things sure have changed at the TE position since Ted Thompson's first year. In '05 Ted lowballed Bubba Franks by putting the transition tag on him, and when Bubba decided not to report to training camp, it soon became obvious that they had NOBODY ELSE to play TE. So Ted had to give in and pay Bubba a pile of money just as his skills were beginning to decline.

Things finally took a turn for the better with the emergence of Donald Lee in 2007, and after all of the David Martins and Torey Humphries and so on, we now have five guys who can play the position and who have also managed to stay healthy thus far. I think the scouting department, under Ted's leadership, is doing a much better job at finding diamonds in the rough, and maybe the coaching staff is doing a better job coaching these guys up.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I must be missing something. What has Crabtree done?
UserPostedImage
rodgehodge
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

he had an article written about him, that's what.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

"rodgehodge" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

And apparently neither one of you guys read it. I'm not sure what kinds of accomplishments you were expecting at this point from an undrafted TE who was #5 on the depth chart coming into camp. The fact that he's pushing for a roster spot is remarkable in itself.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

"rodgehodge" wrote:

And apparently neither one of you guys read it. I'm not sure what kinds of accomplishments you were expecting at this point from an undrafted TE who was #5 on the depth chart coming into camp. The fact that he's pushing for a roster spot is remarkable in itself.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I didn't read it, that is why I am asking!

I haven't seen him do anything in a pre-season game that stood out over others.

Still, no one can answer what he's done. The best we get is implied to read an article. Lots of help.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

"rodgehodge" wrote:

I didn't read it, that is why I am asking!

I haven't seen him do anything in a pre-season game that stood out over others.

Still, no one can answer what he's done. The best we get is implied to read an article. Lots of help.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I've always assumed that if a thread is based on an article, people who comment on the thread have read the article. That's why I thought your question seemed a bit insincere.

The gist of the article is that the coaches have been pleasantly surprised with Crabtree in camp, particularly with his blocking, and they had given him some time with the #1 special teams unit. He also played in the first half against Seattle. So it looks like the coaches are giving him serious consideration for a roster spot.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Greg, you know me man, I need picture! :)

Thank you.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.