wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Coaches face tough choices on whittling down roster 
By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay If the rest of the league hasn't already caught on to the preseason hype surrounding Green Bay as a widespread favorite to win the Super Bowl, it sure took notice when the Packers put a 59-24 whuppin' on the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night.

With a Green Bay offense primed to exceed its record-setting numbers from a year ago, Packer Nation is starting to proclaim that every day is TGIF, as in "Thank Goodness It's Finley."

But beyond budding superstar Jermichael Finley, the Packers are so rich with talent at tight end that they will have to at least consider keeping all five on the roster. Or maybe four.

What a thought. A basketball team of tight ends could mean more two tight end formations, numerous 6-foot-4 targets for Aaron Rodgers and maybe even better pass protection to keep the quarterback standing.

Plus, they're all big guys willing to pack a punch on special teams.

"I've never seen a team with five with this talent," said eight-year veteran Donald Lee. "I've been around where there was three. When I got here we had Bubba Franks, David Martin and myself. We all could do a lot of different things, we were good at it and they kept us all.

"Now, it's going to be a tough decision. In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept all five."

If the Packers are leaning that way, Joe Philbin isn't saying. When the offensive coordinator was asked if he wants Finley along with Lee, Spencer Havner, Tom Crabtree and Andrew Quarless on the roster, he downplayed the thought.

"I don't know about that . . . , " he said.

Usually by now, coaches can see who has an edge over the second-rate talent. Or an injury settles the matter.

But Philbin quickly acknowledged that the coaches are going to have to make some challenging decisions about their four backup tight ends soon. There are just three practices left before the roster cut-down to 75 players Tuesday, and then comes the final preseason game at Kansas City, a critical final look at young players who are not a lock to make the team. The final roster cut-down to 53 players is Sept. 4.

"Pretty soon we'll have to start making some decisions," said Philbin. "(The final week) is important for a lot of guys. There's always those bubble-type guys that are going to see a lot of action, and we're trying to gather more information.

"We like them. They've got some ability, some talent, bring some different things to the table. They've been productive. It's a tough decision."

Besides the overall talent of the group, each tight end has his own calling card.

Quarless, a rookie fifth-round draft pick, scored his first touchdown against the Colts when he ran a double route, took the flat and turned upfield.

"I've got to give it to Matt Flynn - he put it right there so I could catch it," said Quarless. "It was a great ball. There's nothing better than a touchdown; you've got to like it."

Quarless, who worked specifically on his blocking this offseason, already is an exceptionally smooth route runner who looks like a receiver even though he weighs 252 pounds.

Second-year tight end Havner accepted his conversion from linebacker last year and rewarded the coaches with four touchdowns. His versatility makes him a good special teams player, with 20 tackles on those units a year ago. He had some off-the-field issues last spring but has played well in camp and has three catches for 21 yards this preseason.

First-year tight end Crabtree had a nice grab against the Colts - his first in a preseason game this summer. He also plays on all the special teams, but he will make his money by solid blocking, with good fundamentals.

And then there's Lee. He has just one catch this preseason, but the Packers know what they have in him: 134 total receptions in three of his last four years. While he had too many drops last year (practice included) Philbin believed that issue was corrected early this offseason.

Lee, who has 1,802 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns in his NFL career, also is regarded as a solid blocker, but most notably he has been the consummate professional and team player. He's been willing to play special teams and graciously take a backseat to the emerging Finley, who in his second year in 2009 had the second-most catches (55) in a season by a Packers tight end despite missing three games with a knee injury.

"I consider myself the big brother to all these guys, cleaning up after them," said Lee. "Whatever they don't do, I will do. Whatever they ask me to do, I'll do whatever it takes to help the team win."

The Packers may consider Lee of great value to the team, but he is also the one player they may entertain in a trade deal (though no one from the club has stated as such). Lee is scheduled to make $2 million in 2010 and $2.2 million in 2011, a steep price for backup for the Packers but perhaps tempting for a team in need of a reliable tight end.

Lee hasn't gotten a ton of repetitions this summer, but that's probably because the Packers know what he can do and need to see what the young players can do.

"I don't worry about that. I've been around long enough now they have confidence in my ability," said Lee.

The Packers have other options. Quarless said he wouldn't mind the practice squad "to contribute to the team any way I can," but what are the odds that he wouldn't be scooped up by another team? Anyone from this offense is marketable right now.

"It's good for us, we really push each other," said Crabtree. "As far as numbers and all that, I'm not worried about that. I don't know what they're thinking. All I know is we're being evaluated on everything we do. Every day. I'm not taking anything for granted or relaxing at all."

The tight ends believe that no matter what the Packers decide, there will be an NFL job for all of them.

"They say what you put on tape fills your rsum," said Quarless. "And we're all putting great stuff on tape."

UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
Lee is the kind of veteran you like to have around. He's being about as consumate a professional despite the tough decisions looming ahead that could vastly affect his future.

I think the ideal thing would be to keep Finley, Quarless, Havner, and Crabtree and see if you can't get a late round pick from someone for Lee who is looking for some TE depth. Otherwise you keep him and then hope you can sneak Crabtree through waivers and stash him on the practice squad.

I'm also perfectly fine just going with 2 halfbacks (Grant and Jackson) and keeping out 3 FBs again. Kuhn has shown he's more than capable of holding down the 3rd RB spot and Porter should have no troubles passing through waivers and being put on the Practice Squad.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (12h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (17h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.