Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I don't understand the conventional wisdom that Al Harris' return will somehow make this defense better. If this secondary is going to get lit up for the first six weeks, I have to believe the situation would have been equally bad whether or not Harris stepped foot on the field. He hasn't practiced a single day this offseason; he is still rehabilitating. People seem to underestimate the grotesque severity of his injury. Even if Harris does manage to come back sometime between Week 6 and Week 9, I question how much he'll actually contribute this season. It wouldn't surprise me if he's placed on the IR later this year.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

I don't understand the conventional wisdom that Al Harris' return will somehow make this defense better. If this secondary is going to get lit up for the first six weeks, I have to believe the situation would have been equally bad whether or not Harris stepped foot on the field. He hasn't practiced a single day this offseason; he is still rehabilitating. People seem to underestimate the grotesque severity of his injury. Even if Harris does manage to come back sometime between Week 6 and Week 9, I question how much he'll actually contribute this season. It wouldn't surprise me if he's placed on the IR later this year.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It would surprise me. He posted video of himself backpeddling and cutting in early June, and he looked fast and ripped. He's a freak of nature, and I'd be shocked if he has played his last good football.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
He may well contribute next year. I don't see him being a significant factor this year. He tore multiple ligaments in his knee simultaneously.
UserPostedImage
evad04
13 years ago
What surprises me is how many feel that inconsistent preseason defense will necessarily translate into awful defense when the season starts. I thought we weren't supposed to put stock in preseason?

I don't think Al's return will make Green Bay significantly better, but it certainly won't hurt. I worry about any of our DBs getting beat vertically (especially when Woodson's responsibility has him playing closer to the line) and Harris's best attribute isn't his speed. But, he's a tenacious man to man guy and although the scheme will have him playing zone quite a bit, it's generally easier to do.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Stevetarded
13 years ago
Would be great if we got the secondary settled before Harris and Bigby came back because then we would have some excellent depth going into the 2nd half of the season.
blank
porky88
13 years ago

Well, this already sucks. Prepare to watch our defense get lit up like a Christmas tree for the first six weeks, at least by the better offenses (sorry, Buffalo Bills).

"beast" wrote:

The first six weeks are
1 @ PHI
2 BUF
3 @ CHI
4 DET
5 @ WAS
6 MIA

Those teams (other than the Eagles) don't have that many good receiving choices after their #1s (which hopefully Woodson can handle). But not counting the Eagles the Lions or Bears have the best #2 WR we'll face.

Eagles have a good offense all around but their new QB (who is good as well) and their OL haven't been on the same page. I don't know who's fault it is but just seems like the OL doesn't know where the QB will be and the QB doesn't know where his blocks will be and when he gets pressured should he take up or role out and which way.

The Bills have some good RBs... and a decent to good WR. That's about all I have to say about them.

The Bears got Mike Martz. Martz isn't a bad OC IF (and this is a big if) a team has good pass blocking AND a tough QB... which Martz needs because he's game plans have been all about the 7 step drops which is easy to pass rush against so the QB is gonna get beat up unless the pass protection is great. And the QB has to not be afraid of the hits even though they know they're coming. And that's why no QB has been good and lasted long in with Martz other than Kurt Warner. I'm not sure how Warner did it other than both a ton of mental and physical toughness.

The Lions are under rated. They've been so bad for so long... but they got a good QB, a great WR (when he's healthy), a good WR from FA (at least when he's healthy which hasn't been often) and two good RBs (one isn't healthy but the other one could be great in the open field.) And a decent TE. Their only weakness is the OL (which I'm so glad they passed on OT Oher for a TE) But they're under rated, don't take them lightly as they are starting to build well IMO.

I'm trying to think what the Redskins have on offense... they have McNabb, Rbs, TE Cooley... Moss (who has tons of speed and the Packers had trouble with that against the Redskins last time but he couldn't keep a hold onto the ball) and some back-ups.

The Dolphins traded for Brandom Marshal. And they have Bess (or is it Bass?) but not too much else.

"Greg C." wrote:

Green Bay also did just fine against Chicago and Detroit last season without Harris. I think they can again.

My main concern will be the Philadelphia game. The Eagles always start fast, so I suspect they will this season. I'm not liking the matchups there.

Fred Davis is a bonafide playmaker at TE for Washington. I think he's definitely someone to keep an eye on. Beyond him in the middle of the field, I don't like Washington's chances of matching up with the Packers.

This was really the best move for the team. They're very fortunate the schedule is in their favor to open the season. I think they'll slip up to someone they shouldn't lose to again this season. My guess is Miami, but that's more to do with the maturity of the team than not having Al Harris.
Greg C.
13 years ago

Well, this already sucks. Prepare to watch our defense get lit up like a Christmas tree for the first six weeks, at least by the better offenses (sorry, Buffalo Bills).

"beast" wrote:

The first six weeks are
1 @ PHI
2 BUF
3 @ CHI
4 DET
5 @ WAS
6 MIA

Those teams (other than the Eagles) don't have that many good receiving choices after their #1s (which hopefully Woodson can handle). But not counting the Eagles the Lions or Bears have the best #2 WR we'll face.

Eagles have a good offense all around but their new QB (who is good as well) and their OL haven't been on the same page. I don't know who's fault it is but just seems like the OL doesn't know where the QB will be and the QB doesn't know where his blocks will be and when he gets pressured should he take up or role out and which way.

The Bills have some good RBs... and a decent to good WR. That's about all I have to say about them.

The Bears got Mike Martz. Martz isn't a bad OC IF (and this is a big if) a team has good pass blocking AND a tough QB... which Martz needs because he's game plans have been all about the 7 step drops which is easy to pass rush against so the QB is gonna get beat up unless the pass protection is great. And the QB has to not be afraid of the hits even though they know they're coming. And that's why no QB has been good and lasted long in with Martz other than Kurt Warner. I'm not sure how Warner did it other than both a ton of mental and physical toughness.

The Lions are under rated. They've been so bad for so long... but they got a good QB, a great WR (when he's healthy), a good WR from FA (at least when he's healthy which hasn't been often) and two good RBs (one isn't healthy but the other one could be great in the open field.) And a decent TE. Their only weakness is the OL (which I'm so glad they passed on OT Oher for a TE) But they're under rated, don't take them lightly as they are starting to build well IMO.

I'm trying to think what the Redskins have on offense... they have McNabb, Rbs, TE Cooley... Moss (who has tons of speed and the Packers had trouble with that against the Redskins last time but he couldn't keep a hold onto the ball) and some back-ups.

The Dolphins traded for Brandom Marshal. And they have Bess (or is it Bass?) but not too much else.

"Greg C." wrote:

Ah, I hadn't taken a good look at the schedule. That's actually a pretty good draw for a team that is hurting in the secondary. Nonstop has a point about Harris needing some time to get back into top shape after returning from his injury, but even at less than 100%, I think he would be better than any of our other CBs except Woodson and maybe Tramon Williams. I think Nick Barnett started pretty much right away when he came back from that same injury last year.
blank
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

The first six weeks are
1 @ PHI
2 BUF
3 @ CHI
4 DET
5 @ WAS
6 MIA

"beast" wrote:

Ah, I hadn't taken a good look at the schedule. That's actually a pretty good draw for a team that is hurting in the secondary. Nonstop has a point about Harris needing some time to get back into top shape after returning from his injury, but even at less than 100%, I think he would be better than any of our other CBs except Woodson and maybe Tramon Williams. I think Nick Barnett started pretty much right away when he came back from that same injury last year.

"Greg C." wrote:

I think Barnett only tore his ACL. I think Al tore every ligament in his knee, which is significantly worse.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Although the PUP is bad news for Bigby and Harris, it is good news for Starks. Had he missed the season entirely, he would come to camp in 2011 not having played since 2008. I would love to see him get some game action this season. But if a #3 RB emerges during the first six games, Starks could get waived and possibly taken by another team before he can reach the practice squad, or at any point later in the season.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Greg, I am willing to grant for the sake of argument that from a technical and tactical standpoint, bringing Harris back might be the logical thing. But I still don't think that it would be the right thing to do from a practical standpoint. I think rushing Harris back will simply ensure he goes on IR all the faster. So while we might gain his skills and abilities in the short term, we could easily lose them for the long term. If I had my druthers, the Packers would give him the full three weeks beyond the mandatory six-week inactive period before bringing him back in Week 9 -- unless activating him mid-season will mean the difference between making and missing the playoffs (which I doubt will be the case). It will be far more important for the Packers to bolster their secondary for the stretch run than to have a dominant defense early in the season, particularly considering how challenging the first few weeks look to be for the Vikings.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (12h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.