beast
13 years ago

Ted sure does draft a lot of projects doesn't he? A few work out a bunch don't.

"wpr" wrote:

All 32 teams do... as every single rookie is a project trying to make it in the NFL. But seriously a ton of guys and draft picks fail to make it every year... that's why it's been said if you get just two good starters then it was a good draft. If you get 3 it was a GREAT! draft... that year we got

2 Jordy Nelson Kansas State
2 Brian Brohm Louisville
2 Patrick Lee Auburn
3 Jermichael Finley Texas
4 Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest
4 Josh Sitton Central Florida
5 Breno Giacomini Louisville
7 Matt Flynn Louisiana State
7 Brett Swain

That looks like a good draft with Finley and Sitton as your two good starters... and we got a couple of back-ups in Nelson, Flynn and Swain. (I didn't name last because stay I heard he's working with the 3rd string CBs and could be cut as well with Bush working with the 2nd string...)
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

I think it speaks volumes that our three of our four best lineman are holdovers from a different staff of coaches at the position. Sitton being the exception..

Lang, Bulaga, DS and Newhouse haven't been coached "down" yet. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree and that seriously bothers me... but I think the guys they've been going after have been a little better. I mean Sitton, Lang and Bulaga were NFL ready for the most part... but I agree we don't seem to be able to coach up project OL guys. Though Newhouse has been reported to be improving... at LT (after sucking at LG)...

Should we move him to RT with Bulaga there? ... Lang has been working both LT and RT while Clifton and Bulaga were out.
UserPostedImage
evad04
13 years ago
Outside of prototypical size, is there much to like about this guy? At this level I think they want you to be a good football player. I admit I haven't watched him a whole lot but the special attention I did show him during the Browns preseason game didn't alleviate my doubts. No, my doubts are even stronger now.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Ted sure does draft a lot of projects doesn't he? A few work out a bunch don't.

"beast" wrote:

All 32 teams do... as every single rookie is a project trying to make it in the NFL. But seriously a ton of guys and draft picks fail to make it every year... that's why it's been said if you get just two good starters then it was a good draft. If you get 3 it was a GREAT! draft... that year we got

2 Jordy Nelson Kansas State
2 Brian Brohm Louisville
2 Patrick Lee Auburn
3 Jermichael Finley Texas
4 Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest
4 Josh Sitton Central Florida
5 Breno Giacomini Louisville
7 Matt Flynn Louisiana State
7 Brett Swain

That looks like a good draft with Finley and Sitton as your two good starters... and we got a couple of back-ups in Nelson, Flynn and Swain. (I didn't name last because stay I heard he's working with the 3rd string CBs and could be cut as well with Bush working with the 2nd string...)

"wpr" wrote:

I have no complaints with the 2008 draft. I have no complaints with trying a converted TE as a OT. It would have been nice to wait a round or two before selecting him. After all he only played OT for 2 seasons and only started 1 season plus a couple of games as a Jr. With the GB starting OT getting long in the tooth it is obvious that Ted has been looking for their replacements for some time. He had hoped he could get a quality replacement in the lower rounds and then letting them grow into the job. It just has not worked out.

All I said Ted likes to take these gambles. All teams gamble a bit. (No one more than Oakland). It just seems that Ted does so a bit more than most teams. And as I said with some success.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

I think it speaks volumes that our three of our four best lineman are holdovers from a different staff of coaches at the position. Sitton being the exception..

Lang, Bulaga, DS and Newhouse haven't been coached "down" yet. ;)

"beast" wrote:

I agree and that seriously bothers me... but I think the guys they've been going after have been a little better. I mean Sitton, Lang and Bulaga were NFL ready for the most part... but I agree we don't seem to be able to coach up project OL guys. Though Newhouse has been reported to be improving... at LT (after sucking at LG)...

Should we move him to RT with Bulaga there? ... Lang has been working both LT and RT while Clifton and Bulaga were out.

"pack93z" wrote:

I don't have much confidence in our O-line coaching either, although I suppose it could just as well be that Ted hasn't drafted well at those positions. I don't put any stock into the reports of Newhouse improving. We've heard the same things about Barbre and Giacomini for the past two years.

Right at the moment, though, I am hopeful that the Packers may have turned the corner with the O-line. Sitton was a good start, Lang looks pretty good, and of course so does Bulaga.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
James Campen is the OL coach.
He's never played in a zone scheme.
He was never properly taught how to teach the scheme, other than the one year under Jagz.

Is it the scheme?
The teacher's lack of knowledge of the scheme?

The talent?

I don't know OL, but I have a hard time saying its Ted's fault, or James' fault or the scheme's fault. I think we have the wrong pieces to the puzzle.

Edit, trying to think of a time James played in zone, I don't recall one, but never is not the proper term since I do know for sure. I do not believe he has.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
I'm critical of Campen too, but let's be real. Ted Thompson was asked to draft "smaller, quicker" guys for the first 3 years or so. Alan Barbre is the last of those guys, iirc. Then he started nabbing some "bigger stronger" type guys like Sitton, Lang etc. TT's percentage has been much better since then. Breno just can't break the starting lineup. We got depth now, but I think we have enough castoffs to get some help at need positions, such as OLB and CB.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102089128.html 
Here's an interesting take:

"It's interesting that teams like Giacomini. Does that mean they think they can coach him up better than the Packers?"
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.