dhazer
13 years ago
Ya special teams don't mean much at all, look at the year the Bears went to the Super Bowl, I say the MVP for that team was Devin Hester. The Bears offense wasn't scary at all but teams would kick out of bounds just so Hester wouldn't touch it.

Like I have stated before you want someone to put fear in the opposing team when they are kicking the ball.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
I'd be fine with Tramon assuming punt return duties IF we had a healthy Al Harris.

We don't right now and probably won't until the start of the second half of the season at the earliest.

Did McCarthy learn nothing from the Woodson experiement in '07 where he got banged up and missed the game against the Cowboys?

Underwood isn't healthy right now either and probably won't be for a few more weeks, and even if he was, he's not much more proven than any of the other young CBs on the roster. As mentioned above, Shields (or god forbid Bush) starting opposite Woodson because Williams got his knee taken out on a punt return is a scary thought indeed. It's bad enough one of our young CBs is going to have to play nickel CB instead of Tramon.

I wish Pat Lee would have stepped, but there's a very good chance he'll be the one who gets axed when Harris comes off the PUP, although most would probably prefer Bush. 😛
blank
Dulak
13 years ago
I really wished Mike McCarthy would of taken a solid KR/PR guy instead of a what 4th TE??? wtf do we need 4 TEs ...
ok Ill bite on the 3 fullbacks since I like all 3; but 2 of our TEs arnt even season tested.

ya we remember what happened when jordys knee got hurt last year and I think finley went down for a time too (that wasnt fun watching games with them 2 being out).

We need a durable muscle guy to return; rb type ... I mean check out cribbs; guy isnt a toothpick like tramon is.

ya tramon might do all well and good but if he goes down ya well have bush and shields out there lol ... GL to us then
RainX
13 years ago
Despite our young and inexperienced secondary, our CB situation still isn't as bad as Minnesota's is right now. They're going to be starting second round rookie Chris Cook opposite Winfield to start the season until Cedric Griffin gets back from his ACL tear not to mention and have broken down Lito Sheppard in reserve. They traded Sapp, their one experienced nickel corner, for Carimillio from the Dolphins. Brees should have no problems pick that secondary apart if his offensive line can give him decent protection on Thursday.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I don't mind the coach taking a few risks. Sometimes I wish he would take a few more. Putting Tramon in for returns is like going for it on 4th and 1 on your own 40 in the 1st quarter. Why?

Without Harris, this risk is unnecessary and has very little upside to it.

Last year Tramon had a 10.4 average. Including the 94 yard return Tramon is averaging 13.3 so it seems that the 10.4 yard per return average is indicative of what we will see from him this year.

Jordy 5.3. That means Mike is risking the integrity of the defense for 5 yards. It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile risk to me.

I agree that field position is critical but "on average" all the teams as a whole just don't gain that much in punt returns. Last year the best punt return avg was 15.2 by DeSean Jackson (Phil). (1 TD's from his returns and he fair caught 15 of the 44 punts.) The best returner in the NFL only had 10 yards more than Jordy on the ones he could return. At least a third of the punts he got nothing out of. And the stats don't show how many of punts were downed by the kicking team.

I understand that 10 yards can mean the difference getting a field goal and another punt but it is hypothetical and having an undrafted rookie filling in for Tramon could mean a couple of TD's per game.

Now if Tramon averaged 18 yards a return and had a 2 TD or 2 per year, it might be something to consider.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

Ya special teams don't mean much at all, look at the year the Bears went to the Super Bowl, I say the MVP for that team was Devin Hester. The Bears offense wasn't scary at all but teams would kick out of bounds just so Hester wouldn't touch it.

Like I have stated before you want someone to put fear in the opposing team when they are kicking the ball.

"dhazer" wrote:

Good return game is a great thing to have, but not a necessity. The Colts didn't have a good return game last year, yet they got there. And I'd say our offense has a chance of being as good as they were last year, and our defense too.
This is a placeholder
nani17
13 years ago
not amused with williams and especially jennings returning kicks. for me jordy is our best option because with blackmon and cherry gone the only one who could reasonably make the case for the return job would be shields and we saw how well that worked out.
blank
nani17
13 years ago
not amused with williams and especially jennings returning kicks. for me jordy is our best option because with blackmon and cherry gone the only one who could reasonably make the case for the return job would be shields and we saw how well that worked out.
blank
Tezzy
13 years ago
I think the drop off from CWood to any other CB on our roster is huge. I don't believe the drop-off from Tramon to Underwood, Shield, Lee or Bush is hardly a fraction of that. No matter who is across from Woody is going to get thrown on a lot and will give up a lot of completions. Of the positions on our team I believe that our most depth is at CB in pure numbers(not quality). With that in mind, of all the positions on the team I feel less concerned about losing Tramon versus losing someone at a different position. I think Jackson is very important now that Kuhn is our 3rd RB. So I don't really see who else could do the return duties other than Tramon at this point. And lets hope that it's only a huge concern through the first 6 weeks and Al Harris can reclaim the starting role and then we are only sacrificing a nickel CB if he Williams gets hurt.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
BjRaji=DEFMVP
13 years ago
honestly im not worried from my prospective tramon is no set stone for the punt job i think Mike McCarthy will put more than just tramon at Punt Returner.. Like last year i think he'll rotate a lot of guys around it just depends on a lot of things anything can happen the coachs always say something but its not always true jordy nelson could ultimately be the PR and KR for us or jackson who knows.all i know is that im not to worried i think tramon is durable he filled in for al harris and never got hurt and ive seen a lot of you worried about are CB situation im not worried to be honest the only guy in are secondary u should be worried about is bush honestly underwood and lee arent to bad and i have confindence in shields i think shields could surprize us this year even thoe he is raw i think he'll step up.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.