macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Vandermause article about Andy Reid interview, with Rob Demovsky taking notes.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/09/08/what-if-ron-wolf-had-hired-andy-reid-as-packers-head-coach/ 

I've always had a soft spot for Reid since his Green Bay days.

There were a couple of pretty funny quotes (one about Brats, another about targeting Shields).

What if Ron Wolf had hired Andy Reid as Packers head coach?
Posted by Mike Vandermause September 8th, 2010, 12:19 pm
Former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf said one of his biggest regrets was not hiring Andy Reid as the head coach to follow Mike Holmgren in 1999. Wolf instead chose Ray Rhodes, and Reid was hired by the Eagles just days later.

Rhodes lasted one season in Green Bay before getting fired, while Reid is still going strong in Philadelphia.

Reid was asked during a conference call with Wisconsin reporters this morning if he ever wonders what it would have been like to follow in Holmgrens footsteps as the Packers head coach.

Listen thats a tough job, man, said Reid. Mike Holmgren, when they start naming streets after you, those guys are tough to take over for. But I love Green Bay, and those were phenomenal years there. The people in Green Bay and in the organization, unbelievable. Just phenomenal, phenomenal people, so my experience there was great. But I havent gone back and thought about that, but I can tell you that every brat that was offered me, I ate.

Reid spoke on a variety of topics regarding the upcoming Packers-Eagles game. Heres a partial transcript, thanks to Rob Demovsky.

On QB Kevin Kolb: You know what, hes done a nice job. We had a little bit of a chance to see him last year and he did a nice job there in his couple starts. Hes continued to improve as training camps gone on and minicamps and everything else.

On decision to go with Kolb over Donovan McNabb: Well, you know I didnt let Donovan play much his first year, so I kinda went this route. Doug Pederson was the guy the first year for most of the season and then Don came in and started a couple of games, he was hurt one of them, so he really started one game and finished up the next year as the starter. I think thats a good thing, a little bit of a grace period if you can afford to do that, I think thats a good thing. It just depends on who else you have there to play the position.

On Aaron Rodgers: Aarons turned into one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League.

On the Eagles and Packers receivers: Well weve got a couple of guys that are pretty good players, they get out there and they try hard and they can run OK and catch OK. Ill tell you Green Bays got a few of them, some pretty good ones, too. I know (defensive coordinator) Sean McDermotts talked to me about them, and theyve got some explosive guys there.

On the Packers cornerbacks besides Charles Woodson: I think theyre very good, I think Ted (Thompson) has put together a phenomenal group, I mean look at what hes done building that program up. Ive always had a lot of respect for Ted, and this even makes it greater. Mike (McCarthy), I know Mikes an offensive guy, but Mike puts people in the right position to allow these players to make plays, and thats what the guys are doing for him.

On whether he would target Sam Shields, an undrafted rookie who will likely play as the nickel cornerback: Im going to look at that now that you told me.

On how long he plans to coach: I dont know. I really havent gone there yet. Ive got a great situation here from the owner on down. Im enjoying it. Ive got the energy. As long as I can keep playing against great teams like Green Bay Im good. Man it energizes you. Its a neat deal, and I havent lost that zip for that yet.

On whether Kolb needs a fast start to keep the crazy Eagles fans off his back: Listen, I think its more how you finish than how you start, but I think if you ask Kevin the same question, hed love to get off to a fast start. I think every quarterback would like to do that, but on the other hand, that you finish strong is important.

On Packers tight end Jermichael Finley: I think hes very talented, and I think hes got a great connection with his quarterback and that to me is how you know how good this kid is. When youve got a great quarterback that trusts you and utilizes you as a go-to guy, and the coaches trust you to move you all around to flex you out and keep you tight, whereever they put him that quarterback finds him. That tells me the guy is pretty good, and hes got great production and numbers. I would tell you hes a very very good player.

"GreenBayPressGazzette" wrote:

UserPostedImage
rodgehodge
13 years ago
it's hard not to like a guy like that
blank
IronMan
13 years ago

"But I can tell you that every brat that was offered me, I ate.

The man likes his brats.
Blitz
13 years ago
Perhaps it's a good thing Andy left, before he exploded.

UserPostedImage
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "
GOPACKGO1225
13 years ago
Andy vs Rex Ryan in a eating contest, who wins?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.