Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100910/PKR01/100910119/McCarthy-casts-expectations-aside-focuses-on-Super-Bowl 

Nine months ago, the Green Bay Packers saw their Super Bowl dreams end with a stunning overtime loss at Arizona in the NFC wild-card playoff round. But in that 51-45 loss, their offense made believers out of a lot of people.

So it should come as no surprise that heading into the 2010 season, which begins Sunday at Philadelphia, the Packers are a popular Super Bowl pick in Mike McCarthys fifth season as head coach.

I like the way our team looks today, McCarthy said. We have an opportunity to really grow into something special. We need to be blessed a little bit, but I feel like from the start of March until today, this group of men has done everything weve asked of them to prepare for the season. I like the place were in today, but the fact of the matter is were 0-0, and weve got to go win that first one at Philadelphia.

The 46-year-old McCarthy discussed those expectations, what prevented his team from going further last season and how he expects things to be different this year in his annual Week 1 sit-down with Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Q: Lets not beat around the bush, so many so-called experts are picking you guys to get to the Super Bowl that theres no way your players and coaches arent aware of the expectations. How do you think they will handle that?

McCarthy: Frankly, I might be nave, but I feel were past that. Those conversations are really, in my view, for the beginning of training camp. We have a goal to win the Super Bowl. We appreciate that people think were worthy or capable of winning the Super Bowl. Thats a positive, when people say nice things about you. But by no means do we sit here, I dont want to offend you, but we dont sit here and hang your articles on the wall and say, Look what theyre saying about us. I felt like during the first week of camp, we talked about it. There was a lot of buzz, and maybe its trying to be re-created again in Week 1 of the season, but I really think were past that as a football team.

Q: Is this your best shot to win it all since youve been here?

McCarthy: Well, youve got to say your best shot was in 07, when youre standing right there on the doorstep (in the NFC championship game). I feel very good about where we are today as a team. But youve done this for a lot of years, its a long season. Theres a lot of things that happen. But our starting point, I feel were very strong. But weve got to handle the challenges and demands that an NFL season puts on every team.

Q: Last year, after you lost at Tampa to fall to 4-4, team President Mark Murphy spoke publicly about how disappointed he was and that he wanted to see changes. How exactly did you turn the season around and go 7-1 in the second half?

McCarthy: Stuck to my guns. Didnt change as far as the approach. I think everybody, to a man, the urgency was heightened. Unfortunately, it took an embarrassing loss as it was in Tampa Bay. And I learned a lesson or two. Its something that you hope to apply in the future. Im not making any excuses, and people thought I did. I felt it was important for us to bounce back after that Minnesota (loss). We got after them in practice, and they responded. And I can remember standing there just before halftime thinking, God dang, were dead today. It wasnt a lack of effort or anything. They had a little bit of a perfect storm. They had a few plays, when one of your trusted, key veterans blows a punt assignment and you get a punt blocked, we did some things that were uncharacteristic of us. But I felt some responsibility for that because we did not play well in that game. I think being honest about it, and to a man there was a heightened sense of urgency, and we were able to get the next one at home against Dallas, which I felt was big playing at home that week. Our fans were behind us, which I cant say enough about because Ive been in other places where if that first quarter didnt go right, they could have gone against you. The Dallas game was phenomenal. It was an outstanding opponent, a great environment. Lambeau was phenomenal that night, and thats a big credit to the fans.

Q: In Sports Illustrateds NFL preview issue that recently came out, you were quoted as saying you had the players too high for the first Minnesota game. What did you do that got them too high?

McCarthy: I was extremely confident going into that game and thought we were ready to take a step and probably didnt handle a couple of the injuries that we had prior to that game appropriately. The left tackle position, Chad wasnt available. Right tackle position wasnt stable. Probably pushed the envelope too much from a play-calling standpoint. The safety position, the change we made in that game resulted in some big plays. I dont know, anytime something goes wrong, its just in my nature, I look in the mirror first. I thought the night before the game and just the way we went up there, they were so dialed in for that game, and we were probably a little bit too rambunctious in the beginning of that game. We had seven penalties in the first half; they had zero. I thought that was a huge factor. Then coming back home to Lambeau, we almost repeated exactly the same type of game. We had six penalties in the first half; they had zero. I felt the first game we were probably a little bit too high.

Q: Was that because you were playing against Brett Favre?

McCarthy: Well its playing that team. Im not going to deny that Brett didnt add a whole other element to it. We had way too many big plays go against us. The penalties, I thought the big plays and the penalties were huge factors. Look at the first series of the game both times, we had a personal foul on our defense that resulted in seven points. One time we (would have gotten) off the field. The other time its maybe a field goal. When you play in close games, which all division games usually are, it can affect the outcome.

Q: At any time last year, before, after or during those games against Minnesota, did you and Brett say anything to each other?

McCarthy: I have not, no.

Q: Do you think you and Brett will ever sit down and make peace, even if its after his or your career is over?

McCarthy: Time will answer that question.

Q: Youre still relatively young in this business

McCarthy: I feel young.

Q: but coaching at this level takes its toll on a person. Do you see yourself as a lifer or a guy who retires while hes still young?

McCarthy: And I have a young family. I plan to have the discipline to, God willing, walk away on my own terms at the right time, but I could do this for the rest of my life. I love coming to work every day. I love working here. I couldnt imagine having an opportunity better than the Green Bay Packers. Its hard to even talk about it. Its just such a unique place. Everyone wants to talk about tradition and facilities, but its really about the people. Its such a great place to work, and theres so many good people. Its the way it should be. Were given the resources to win. Its as clean as that. Theres no sidebars. Theres no around-the-corner agendas, and thats so important. Ive got a great family. I married a beautiful local gal, and itd be great to be here for a long time.

Q: You said you feel young and you look like youre in better shape than youve been in, but at a few of the training camp practices, youd limp off the field after the workout. Hows your health?

McCarthy: Yeah, a little better shape this year, but yeah thats an old football injury, and Ive let it go. I need knee surgery, and Ive just been putting it off.

Q: John Schneider was a close friend and confidant of yours before he left in January to become GM of the Seattle Seahawks. Who are you closest to in the organization now and who has filled that role?

McCarthy: John still is. Ted Thompson is so stable and just so consistent, and thats someone Im blessed to be able to have the working relationship with and the ability to lean on. Hes a great listener and very important to my personal success here. Russ Ball has always been there. Really, Russ, John and I, going back to our Kansas City days, were always good friends. I trust Russ Ball with my children, and thats a huge statement that you can say about somebody. Ive got an excellent coaching staff, a lot of guys I enjoy being around and hopefully people that after football, well all be friends. So I feel like I have an outstanding network of people. Mark Murphy is a great listener and a guy you can bounce things off. Jason Wied is someone that Ive gotten to be close with. Even Doug Collins, our security director, is another confidant. Matt Klein and Lisa (Waeghe), I cant say enough about them. They run the office and do a great job of keeping me coaching, and not getting bogged down from an administrative standpoint, and thats something that I think happens to a lot people in this position, and I feel like it gets to me sometimes, but theyre great at taking the ball and running with it.

Q: I would think youd agree that your pass defense probably prevented you from going further in the playoffs last season. Why will you be better in that area this year?

McCarthy: Well that one particular game, you hate to put your whole season on one game, but we didnt perform very well in that football game, and those are always tough lessons that you can learn from, but also we didnt take care of the football that day, either. Thats the part that I think youve really got to stay on top of as a team. I talk to our team all the time about playing to your identity smart, tough, fundamentally sound. They hear about it every day. Its on every overlay that goes up in front of them, and I felt like we built that and had it going during the second half of the year, and to go into that game and turn the ball over like we did after you just got done playing 16 games, and youre plus-24. I just feel like we create our identity, because you dont ever get to carry it forward from the year before, and play to that and an improvement in pass defense will definitely be one of our focuses. We went into the season saying we were going to stop the run because that was an issue the year before, and we were the best in the league at it. Weve taken the same approach with the negative aspects of the 2009 season as we prepare for 2010, and were confident we will improve in those areas.

Q: But you have an undrafted free agent, Sam Shields, as your likely third cornerback and unproven guys like Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee back there. Whats your level of concern there?

McCarthy: Well, its no different than when you play the quarterback for the first time. You dont know until they play. You have confidence in their ability. You have confidence in the way theyre trained. You have confidence in the way they work, and more importantly you have confidence in them as the type of people they are. If you didnt, you wouldnt put them out there.

Q: You changed special teams coaches two years ago, changed punters this year and changed the way you practice special teams in training camp. Does that mean its reasonable to expect a dramatic improvement in that area?

McCarthy: I expect it and demand it. More importantly, I think the players want it, too. The players are the first to know. Coaching is very important, no doubt about it, but they have to carry the ultimate message and the focus into the live action. Theyre all well aware of what were trying to do. Weve made a number of changes, not only in the way we practice but in the way we do punt protection, our approach is a little different in kickoff returns and Shawn Slocums done some good things on the kickoff coverage, so we feel like we have better weapons, more bullets in our gun, but at the end of the day we have to go out and perform. But I feel the improvements, the adjustments that Shawn and (special teams assistant coach) Chad (Morton) have made throughout the offseason and the training camp work was very good. I thought it was the best of our time here, but we have to go out and do it now.

Q: Dont you think its a risk to put Tramon Williams or Greg Jennings on punt returns given how important those guys are on defense and offense?

McCarthy: Depends on how you want to look at it. Youre also putting the ball in the hands of an exciting player. If I have one issue on offense, its going to be opportunities. I could say now Im putting the ball in Gregs hands one more time, two more times a game, and also Tramons. I mean Tramon has been very good back there. People fail to realize hes never really had a full season at that. Hes got a unique set of skills on punt return. Weve always had that in our back pocket. Its hard to say were going to pick the best 53 players. Whether you agree with it or not, we let these guys compete, and there were times when I thought it was going to be different from 50, 51, 52 and 53. But at the end of the day, when all the information came in, we felt like we built the best 53 football players, and sometimes you may cross lines because, yeah, you may like to have nine linebackers, but if youre going to keep the best players and have the ability to improve depth over years to come, you have to believe in the coaching to make the difference for our different personnel groups. Thats been our approach, and its worked. Like I told the team in our meeting on Monday, our two biggest challenges are going to be not enough opportunities for everybody and handling success, and Im not going to apologize for having too many good football players in this room. Its taken us five years to get to this point, but were here, we feel good about it, but we need to make sure its always going to be about the team first.

Q: Speaking of all those weapons you have on offense, when you first got here, you said you wanted to be a run-first team

McCarthy: Well, we had a coach that gave some powerful speeches

Q: But youre a pass-first team, arent you?

McCarthy: Not really. The thing is, football has changed a little bit. Its still about blocking and tackling and handling the football. That will never change. When you do things at the line of scrimmage and play against aggressive defensive schemes, its common sense that the path of least resistance is usually the best path on any particular play. So when I get statistics that the pass and the run are not as balanced as youd want, my balance comes on what I called. So the result to me is secondary. Some of the things that we do, theres run and pass options. We may not be running the ball, but were still coming off the line and getting after the D-line because at the end of the day its putting the ball in the individuals hands with him having the opportunity to progress forward. Thats why I dont get as caught up on the final numbers. I can tell you this, every meeting we have first, we start with the run. You may not like the way our house looks on the outside, but our foundation stays intact with the way we approach the game.

Q: When you cut guys like Spencer Havner and Kregg Lumpkin, guys that have helped you win games before, do you ever worry the players who are still here might question why youre getting rid of players that have helped you win over the years?

McCarthy: I would hope they do. I think thats the way they should think. Thats part of the conversations we have, too. Spencer Havner, just the way he was able to build up and get on the team, but Spencer didnt perform to the level that he did last year. Thats the facts, and thats why hes not here. But Im a huge Spencer Havner fan and frankly he made my job a lot easier going from 53 to 45 because he gave us an extra linebacker and a good special teams player and was very productive for us as a tight end. Those were all hard decisions. But you line people up and let them compete and if one guy outperforms the other, I think he earns the right for the job.

Q: What does it say that five of those guys you waived were claimed by other teams and a sixth, punter Chris Bryan, signed with Tampa Bay?

McCarthy: I think thats a credit to our personnel staff and our coaching staff. We have young players that we brought in here that the media probably criticized us for picking at one point, Im just kidding you, but they were developed, and theyre good football players. I think it says a lot about our program and our football team.

Q: Is there any chance it says maybe you made mistakes and cut the wrong guys?

McCarthy: I dont think so. I think we have the best seat to make those decisions, and Im confident we made the right decisions.

Q: Youve had a rotation of punters here. What are the chances Tim Masthay is a long-term answer?

McCarthy: I hope so. Theres a lot of information that would point to that. Hes young, hes an athlete and hes going to improve. His skill set is vast in terms of the kickoffs, the holding. As far as his straight-line mechanics, theres a lot there to work with. Im hoping him and Mason are here for a long time.

Q: You promoted Mark Lovat to the head strength coach. What differences have you seen?

McCarthy: Mark does such a great job of the functional training. Also, Marks an extremely educated individual as far as the science behind the strength and conditioning and the bridge you have to have with the training room. To me, thats really one department. Were not structured like that, but frankly if I was in charge of that facility, Id make that all one area because I think there could be a tendency in our industry that theres walls between those two departments, and they function better when theyre one. We have a very good relationship there between both the medical staff and the strength and conditioning staff. I think Mark Lovat and (assistant trainer) Bryan Engel, in particular, as far as their rehab and prehap ability with our players is significant.

Q: Going back to that playoff loss at Arizona, the refs told cornerback Charles Woodson before the game not to hold because theyre going to call him for it. Do you think that impacted the way he played?

McCarthy: That shouldnt go on, and they know that. You talk about communication, and now you talk about predetermining something before the game. Now if you want to give a guy a warning, but if the communication went down the way it did, were not looking for that because theyre supposed to call what they see. Theres nothing good that comes out of complaining about officiating. I think its an excuse. Do I like some of the things that go on? No, but it serves me no purpose. To me, its all about the end result. How am I going to prepare my team or handle situations thats going to give us the chance to move forward and win games.

Q: You arent a guy who complains a lot about officiating, yet in that game Woodson got thrown around a lot and maybe there should have been offensive pass interference called

McCarthy: Twice.

Q: and maybe there should have been illegal hands to the face on that last play. My question is, did you guys get screwed in that game?

McCarthy: I would have liked if they would have called it. I would like to think that when Im done with this business, I can look back and say it all kind of worked itself out. Sometimes youre on the short side of that. Sometimes you get the calls. You have to live with it.

Q: Lastly, driving into the stadium today, you could see one of those fences along Lombardi Avenue was recently painted with the slogan In McCarthy We Trust. What does that mean to you?

McCarthy: You can see it from here (inside his office). Ted was giving me a hard time about it. Personally, I think things like that should be about the players. Im so blessed to hold one of the most prominent positions in coaching, and Im very grateful for that. But I think recognition, I think its a players game. But Im flattered that they would think that of me that they would paint that on their fence. Theres a lot of neat traditions around here. Im flattered, embarrassed.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

McCarthy: Yeah, a little better shape this year, but yeah thats an old football injury, and Ive let it go. I need knee surgery, and Ive just been putting it off.

I'm probably reading into this, but is that a subtle 'nudge' at someone?
UserPostedImage
rodgehodge
13 years ago

Q: You changed special teams coaches two years ago, changed punters this year and changed the way you practice special teams in training camp. Does that mean its reasonable to expect a dramatic improvement in that area?

McCarthy: I expect it and demand it.

I love that. I don't know what else to say about it. I think he definitely has a players coach kind of sensibility but it's great to know that he has that hard-ass kind of edge to him.

Last season I wasn't nearly as hard on McCarthy as a lot of people on here, but I definitely had my issues. But during that Arizona game, when they ran it in for the touchdown, and the sideline cam showed McCarthy falling to his knees devastated, it really won me over. That was such a heartbreaking moment as a packer fan, and it was nice to see that McCarthy was right there with us.

Zero - I wish there was audio of this interview so we could hear how he said it. I definitely think that could be a tongue-in-cheek comment.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I really enjoyed what McCarthy had to say. This seemed to be one of the most straightforward and forthright interviews he's given in a long time. I passed over the parts in bold as quickly as I could because, as usual, almost every question was overtly leading, and most of them seemed to have a snide tone. What is it with the media in Green Bay anyway? Why can't they just ask a man what he thinks instead of trying to slant every question?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (6h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (6h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (9h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (9h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (12h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (13h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (18h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.