Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100910/PKR01/100910149/Dougherty-column-Packers-in-good-shape-for-possible-salary-cap 

The NFLs next collective bargaining agreement is going to limit players salaries, some way, some how.

Most likely, the new deal, whenever it gets done, will have a salary cap, though maybe it will be a luxury payroll tax or the like.

No matter, the Green Bay Packers will be in good shape.

General Manager Ted Thompson and Vice President Russ Ball have kept the Packers payroll on sound footing no matter the rules, and they, like many teams, took advantage of this uncapped season to get in even better shape.

In March they signed three players (Nick Collins, Ryan Pickett and Chad Clifton) to lucrative contracts that paid them a collective $34.4 million that wont count against future salary caps, assuming the next CBA keeps basically the same accounting rules as before.

So as of today, the Packers 2011 commitments for salary-cap pay are about $111 million. That doesnt include any bonuses or raises triggered by performance this season, or any raise for cornerback Charles Woodson with the contract extension he signed Thursday. It also accounts for only the 42 players who are under contract next year. They have 10 players on their roster who will be unrestricted free agents next year if the eligibility minimum returns to four years service.

However, that total includes linebacker A.J. Hawks $10 million salary for 11, and theres no way the Packers will bring him back at that cost. It also includes Johnny Jollys $2.521 million salary, which will be dropped from their books if they cut him after his one-year suspension for violating the NFLs substance abuse policy.

For context, the NFLs salary cap in 2009 was $128 million, presumably would have been about $10 million higher this year if the cap were in place and another $10 million or so higher in 2011.

The leagues owners are committed to cutting the players piece of the pie, which was 59 percent of total revenue, but theres no way to know how far the 2011 cap under a new
CBA will be from the $148 million or so it would have been. But its hard to see the players giving in to a gigantic difference, so Thompson surely will have plenty of flexibility.

Not that hell spend on free agents, he almost surely wont. But he will use his money to re-sign and extend the deals of his current roster.

As far as the specific terms of the next CBA, negotiations have been almost nonexistent, so its difficult to even guess.

Its easier to predict when there will be a new deal.

Theres no deadline to push the process until the start of the new league year in early March. That could spur a deal, though its far more likely there wont be enough urgency until the start of training camp or the start of the regular season, when owners start losing revenue and players miss paychecks.

If theres no deal by early March, the owners will lock out the players. If they dont, theyll have to pay all the big option and roster bonuses due at the start of the league year at the risk of there not even being a season.

If theres a lockout, the CBA still calls for a draft in April, but there wont be free agency, an offseason workout program, offseason practices or training camp.

The owners insist their net profits have declined under the current CBA because of increasing costs not only on players, but in building new or refurbished stadiums to help grow revenue that they say benefits players too.

The players want the owners to open individual teams books to prove duress, but its hard to see that happening. The Packers as a public, non-profit organization are required by their by-laws to disclose publicly their finances, and NFL owners point to them as proof of an unsustainable economic model. But actually, at closer look the Packers finances this year are ambiguous on that point.

For the Packers fiscal year 2009, their revenue was a record $258 million, yet their profit from operations dropped to $9.8 million from $20.1 million the year before. Also, their players costs increased at a much higher rate (11 percent) than revenue (5 percent).

However, their fiscal year runs from April 1 through March 31 each year, so their player costs for 09 included $36.22 million in roster bonuses paid in March 10 to Collins, Pickett, Clifton, Mark Tauscher, B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews. Thats far more than the Packers usually pay out at that time of year.

Regardless, the owners and players will have to compromise somewhere to reach a deal, and how much the league asks players to give in from 59 percent depends in part on what the players give up elsewhere. For instance, agreeing to an 18-game schedule. Publicly the players are against it because of career longevity and long-term health. Theres plenty of reason to think a lot of them are against it privately, too, for those reasons.

An 18-game season definitely undercuts the NFLs recent emphasis on player safety.

But it also could help clear the big hurdle.

It could be a game-changing issue, said Andrew Brandt, the former Packers vice president who blogs on NFL business issues for and co-owns NationalFootball Post.com.

Depending on who you believe, (the owners) may be offering between a 9 and 18 percent rollback. Lets say they go to the players and say, Were going to give you a much more modest rollback or no rollback at all, but we want you to play these two extra games. That could be a breakthrough in the negotiations.

Some other issues are:

The owners want to be able to recover more of a players signing bonus if he holds out on his contract or gets suspended. The owners will have to give something to get this.

Drug testing, most notably for human growth hormone. The owners want it, the players dont, though why players wouldnt want testing is beyond me. If they know other players arent using it, theyll know they dont have to keep up.

A more rigid rookie wage scale so the top few picks in the draft arent receiving $40-million plus guarantees. Both sides favor this.

Minimum years to qualify for free agency. It was four years, and when it moved to six years this year, it was a disaster for the players. Brandt said he thinks a new deal will keep it at four.

UserPostedImage
Mckennj3
13 years ago
Great read, clears a lot of the confusion up towards who wants what. I knew Ted would take advantage of it but this proves it.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
I have been looking for an article like this for some time. Thank you for the post.

Worst thing that can happen out of the CBA is if they ruin the parity that exists currently in the NFL. I understand that some teams are often in contention and some teams notoriously suck but allowing a team to be a super bowl contender every year just because it is the highest bidder will destroy the sport.

Funny comment last Thursday by the commentator when all the players were on the field giving the #1 sign "(paraphrased) Nothing like a players union statement to start the season."
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.