Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:30:20 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,901
Applause Received: 2,096

I threw together a little video to make it easier for folks to find/use the ShoutBox.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:13:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:05:07 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Does the shout box update in real time? Do new posts appear as they are posted, or do you have to hit the refresh button?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:15:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Disabled until further notice.

Reason : I skimmed through and found four good discussion topics that found their way into the SHOUT but not into the discussion board.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but the goal of a discussion board is to discuss on the board, not shouts with NO discussion of the shouts on the board.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:37:00 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 148
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Reason : I skimmed through and found four good discussion topics that found their way into the SHOUT but not into the discussion board.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but the goal of a discussion board is to discuss on the board, not shouts with NO discussion of the shouts on the board.

I'm going to guess that most of those where on me.

We have about 20 threads in which Foster and me keep going forth and back about OTs and LBs. I didn't think that a little argument in the shout box would be such a big deal.

LDT being released didn't look like very interesting news to me, as it was inevitable.

The stuff on Collins was one tweet. An opinion. I didn't think that it was enough to warrant a thread.

If you want me/the members of this board to make a thread when they find stuff like that, I'm all for it. I don't mind, I just didn't want to clutter the thing with threads that, I thought, where somewhat useless. Which is why I make a 1-sentence and link mention of it in the Shout Box.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:24:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

It is not aimed at any one specific person. If that was the case, I'd have spoke to that one said person privately about it and seen how it paned out.

This is a collective problem I have. I don't care for how the shout is being used, but you guys like it so I ideal with it. That's fine. Where I have to draw the line is when I see subjects of interest posted in there, but not on the discussion board. I'd have liked to seen what others felt/thought about Tomlinson being cut for instance.

I don't want to have to read the shout for a discussion, I'd rather the boards be 'cluttered' up with new stories.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:09:33 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Zero I think a lot of us (including you) "abused" it at times..

I think its to easy to just post something there then going through the trouble of creating a thread, or opening up a thread to make a post....

Sounds lazy but thats what I think it
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:09:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,048

I guess I see this as a mistake.. disabling it I mean.

Say we shout LT was released, but have little past that to give an opinion upon.. why start a thread upon it. If that interests someone or they have an opinion upon it that is worthy of a thread.. it becomes one.

Also I think it helps in de-cluttering thread.. yesterday for example, Foster was giving Rock the business over a twisted interpretation of leapfrog.. all housed in the shout box..

I know your not a huge fan of the shout.. and in the end, it isn't that big of an issue.. I just happen to think it added to the community.

A simple resolution.. or a step in the process might have been putting a warning or explanation of what content could go in the shout.. but the might be a never ending battle.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:57:21 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

The problem with having discussions in the shoutbox is there is no permanent record of it. If you create threads, we can come back to conversations again and again, sometimes a year or two later. Whereas with the shoutbox, once the posts have been cleared, we have no record of what we said, how our opinions have shifted, what data has emerged in the meantime, etc. I can see Kevin's point.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:03:47 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 148
Applause Received: 248

I'd love to get the shout box back. I don't mind making threads about the things I find that, I think, are usefull information or good for discussions. I'll refrain from posting stuff like that in teh shout box from now on, if you do bring it back.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:05:26 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I guess I see the shout box as random blurbs of actual no bearing subjects with a bunch of other goofing around chatter..

While I agree with the point that full blown discussions shouldn't end up in the shoutbox.. one could say the same about the game day chats.. they aren't archived for meaning full data that could be used for discussion, no record of whom said what.. no ability to look back.. yet threads start from that chatter. so is the gameday chats worth while?

I would vote yes.. even though I don't enjoy the distraction during the game and rarely are in the sessions.

In the end.. it really doesn't make much difference.. I happen to like the feature.. maybe I am in the minority of it all.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:12:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I like the Shout Box, it's neat, its fun, it's quick.

I do not like topics being shouted and not carried over by the shouting member or another member into the discussion board. This, for me, is a very slow part of the off season and I'd like new topics about things. I like seeing what YOU ALL HAVE TO SAY about topics. And when they are shouted, then cast away because two people don't use PM's or Email, then it's lost and then the members input is lost. Where's the good in that?

Call me crazy, but I like reading what you each have to say about things. I'm one of those weird types who observes an analyzes comments and reactions. I can't do that when a subject is only shouted and not carried over into the board.

Call this a power trip, or arrogant rant or whatever you all like to call me but I kind of pay for this thing and would like to hear your input on stuff and I'm sure others would too.

I don't have hardly any free time to spare on my plate so the little time I get to check in on things, I'd like to skim through and read what you all have to say about stuff. Instead I'm finding good topics in the Shout, but not in the discussion board for others to provide their take on it.

I don't think I'm asking for too much ...
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:14:59 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I guess I see the shout box as random blurbs of actual no bearing subjects with a bunch of other goofing around chatter..

And again, for the 2,092nd that is fine. Yes, I will make a comment here and there about it, but its not that big of a deal.

My problem, again, is when topics are shouted and not brought over into the discussion board for others to discuss. That's what I do not like.

I'm not sure where I'm losing people on this, but please understand, I'm trying to convey my point as directly and easily as possible. Sorry for losing you guys that I'm not making the point clear enough to. I assure you, its not from lack of effort.

While I agree with the point that full blown discussions shouldn't end up in the shoutbox.. one could say the same about the game day chats.. they aren't archived for meaning full data that could be used for discussion, no record of whom said what.. no ability to look back.. yet threads start from that chatter. so is the gameday chats worth while?

I would vote yes.. even though I don't enjoy the distraction during the game and rarely are in the sessions.

Are you comparing the gameday chat's with the shout box and saying that the gameday chats are useless because I'm not logging them?

In the end.. it really doesn't make much difference.. I happen to like the feature.. maybe I am in the minority of it all.

I like it too, it's a lot of fun. Like me owning LTF on the wings challenge thing. ;)
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:38:37 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

First.. holy overboard reaction..

Second.. ahhh no.. I think gameday is very useful.. as this is an online community where things like that build relationships around our team.. I was just countering NonStop rebuttal on the shout box by drawing a comparison. Nothing more.

I gave my opinion on the subject.. I was not "lost" or not understanding your stance.. just giving an alternative stance. Yet... it draws out a condescending remark.. never mind.. this is way more effort for a feature that should enhance not detract from the website.

Are you comparing the gameday chat's with the shout box and saying that the gameday chats are useless because I'm not logging them?

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:41:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I wasn't trying to be condescending. I was just asking for clarification.

Sorry.

I'll check back in the morning when I've removed the bug out of my ass and can think more clearly.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:46:07 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

And maybe in my spotty activity on the board.. I missed the statements where there were restrictions or preferences on the shout box...

The condescending part to me was the 2000th x time sarcasm.. but again.. not that big of a deal. It was your opinion to my statement..

I just look at this thread.. see where content was asked about.. and no mention of the parameters.. then next.. option pulled off the table..

Again.. this is way more than it should be.. it is just one feature on the site.

UserPostedImage