Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
14 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dhazer  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:16:29 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:18:08 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Only because defensive players were completely taken out of the equation. It was an offense-only league, so there was no way to compensate for a sub-par offense with a better defense.
UserPostedImage
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:46:39 PM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Tennessee

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 27

As much as seperate defensive players are fun, with a huge league like this it can get very confusing.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:29:32 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Confusing? How is it confusing? Why are you underestimating the intelligence of the people who frequent this board? We have some great football minds on this board. If confusion is the issue, why are there no leagues in which you select a team offense and choose your defensive players? No, the reality is that offense is considered sexier than defense, so that is what these leagues cater to.

Obviously, set this up how you want to -- it's your league. To each his own. That's what makes this game great. I just personally have no interest in being stuck with a bad defense whose deficiencies I can't mitigate by choosing from among the best players available. Particularly since you're talking about limiting D and QB to one roster slot, meaning I have to bench or cut them on their bye weeks.
UserPostedImage
Offline LambeauEast  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:39:00 PM(UTC)
LambeauEast

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/19/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 20

Count me out fellas, too much for my pea brain to take in.
UserPostedImage
Offline djcubez  
#21 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
djcubez

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:58:51 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

It should be mentioned that last year we had two (ESPN - Yahoo!) leagues, I believe 30 total teams and several were duplicated. That means, we'll probably end up with two 12 team leagues.


In which case the roster size would be adjusted accordingly.


I understand a large amount of teams can delude the talent, but why should that scare you off? Afraid you can't horde all the good players?

My response to that is man up, have some fun, it's just a game that holds on monetary value whatsoever.



And please keep the input coming! The more idea's on how to make this enjoyable for all who have the guts to join a FREE league, the better!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:59:47 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.



The larger the league we have, the less points a QB and Def will get you. That counters that issue you are speaking of.
UserPostedImage
Online doddpower  
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:36:16 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,999
Applause Received: 486

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.


I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:10:06 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.


I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.


So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. ;)





All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:15:02 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#27 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:21:45 PM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Tennessee

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 27

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.


I disagree. The league was there to make you find thoes diamonds in the ruff. You had to take gambles on underpreforming 5th round picks changing to questionable FAs. It was more of a Ted Thompson type of league, find the players that you think might do good. It was boring for you dhazer becuase you had a good team drafted. That's why you won.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#28 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:26:47 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. ;)
UserPostedImage
Online doddpower  
#29 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:29:14 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,999
Applause Received: 486

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.


I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.


So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. ;)





All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.


It's just a matter of opinion. Like I said, I generally play in about 5-8 fantasy leagues each year and each one has something different to offer, perhaps something like this. I was just saying that I find smaller super active leagues to be the most enjoyable.
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:29:27 PM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Tennessee

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 27

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. ;)


NSD, I'm serious, you should make your own 8-12 team league just for all your crazy ideas.
UserPostedImage
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
14 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.452 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
12m / Random Babble / Smokey

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

1h / Around The NFL / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

1h / Random Babble / Smokey

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

7h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

10h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

18h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.