Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
11 Pages<1234>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djcubez  
#21 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.
Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:58:51 PM(UTC)
It should be mentioned that last year we had two (ESPN - Yahoo!) leagues, I believe 30 total teams and several were duplicated. That means, we'll probably end up with two 12 team leagues.

In which case the roster size would be adjusted accordingly.

I understand a large amount of teams can delude the talent, but why should that scare you off? Afraid you can't horde all the good players?

My response to that is man up, have some fun, it's just a game that holds on monetary value whatsoever.

And please keep the input coming! The more idea's on how to make this enjoyable for all who have the guts to join a FREE league, the better!
Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:59:47 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.

The larger the league we have, the less points a QB and Def will get you. That counters that issue you are speaking of.
doddpower  
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:36:16 PM(UTC)
Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.

I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:10:06 PM(UTC)
Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.

I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.

So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. ;)

All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.
dhazer  
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:15:02 PM(UTC)
Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.
The_Green_Ninja  
#27 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:21:45 PM(UTC)
Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.

I disagree. The league was there to make you find thoes diamonds in the ruff. You had to take gambles on underpreforming 5th round picks changing to questionable FAs. It was more of a Ted Thompson type of league, find the players that you think might do good. It was boring for you dhazer becuase you had a good team drafted. That's why you won.
Nonstopdrivel  
#28 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:26:47 PM(UTC)
I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. ;)
doddpower  
#29 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:29:14 PM(UTC)

So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. ;)

All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.

It's just a matter of opinion. Like I said, I generally play in about 5-8 fantasy leagues each year and each one has something different to offer, perhaps something like this. I was just saying that I find smaller super active leagues to be the most enjoyable.
The_Green_Ninja  
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:29:27 PM(UTC)
I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. ;)

NSD, I'm serious, you should make your own 8-12 team league just for all your crazy ideas.
Nonstopdrivel  
#31 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:30:49 PM(UTC)
I do make my own leagues. But I like to participate in other people's leagues too. I've actually changed my mind and I want to participate in this year's league. I just hope I can be there for the draft. I wasn't last year and I was stuck with a mediocre team that got trounced from the first week.
djcubez  
#32 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 1:47:58 AM(UTC)

The bolded part I agree with 100%. It really sucked lol.

Remember the QB situation I mentioned earlier in this thread?
I looked back on my team last season and the last week I started Kellen Clemens. He didn't even play. My TE David Thomas was a THIRD STRING tight end.
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 1:54:26 AM(UTC)
It's just a matter of opinion. Like I said, I generally play in about 5-8 fantasy leagues each year and each one has something different to offer, perhaps something like this. I was just saying that I find smaller super active leagues to be the most enjoyable.

I fully agree a more active league is far more fun. There's nothing worse than waiting for someone to accept/decline a trade. It kind of holds ya hostage. Do you pick up a FA? Wait for an answer? That drove me nuts last year. lol

[size=18]PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST, IT'S BEEN UPDATED![/size]
Rockmolder  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 1:58:48 AM(UTC)

I looked back on my team last season and the last week I started Kellen Clemens. He didn't even play. My TE David Thomas was a THIRD STRING tight end.

I didn't have this problem that much. I went with Carson Palmer who did surprisingly well. What I noticed, though, is that some people hogged QBs. Something that I didn't mind at all. Funny thing, though, no one was trading.

If you go into this league and hog up QBs, you expect to strike some deals. Yet, no one was actually making any moves. FA is fun and all, but I don't want to be in a league where we're playing with 6 guys and have 10 solid starting QBs on the waiver wire every week. It just isn't real and isn't fun. The draft should make out for a lot of what your team looks like. And then, if you're not happy, you make some trades and pick up some FAs.

I was in that same ESPN league and after nearly every game the waiver wire shifted a lot. I was one of the last guys on the waiver wire and nearly never got the first 3 guys I wanted. Foster was nearly yanking people into the Live Chat, but no one wanted to make any trades.

Now 24 is a lot, I agree, but I didn't think that 20 was too horrible a number. Maybe go back a little to 16. That looks like the perfect size to me.

In the end, the thing that will keeps this league active or not will be whether people can show up for the draft or not. If you've missed the draft, you can just as well quit the team, because it won't be fun anymore. At least, that's how I see it.
fudge-packer  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 2:22:46 AM(UTC)
100% in friday n sat good for me. will this be on espn or like nfl.com or something?
porky88  
#36 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 2:43:04 AM(UTC)
I'm in
djcubez  
#37 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 4:40:31 AM(UTC)

I didn't have this problem that much. I went with Carson Palmer who did surprisingly well. What I noticed, though, is that some people hogged QBs. Something that I didn't mind at all. Funny thing, though, no one was trading.

If you go into this league and hog up QBs, you expect to strike some deals. Yet, no one was actually making any moves. FA is fun and all, but I don't want to be in a league where we're playing with 6 guys and have 10 solid starting QBs on the waiver wire every week. It just isn't real and isn't fun. The draft should make out for a lot of what your team looks like. And then, if you're not happy, you make some trades and pick up some FAs.

I was in that same ESPN league and after nearly every game the waiver wire shifted a lot. I was one of the last guys on the waiver wire and nearly never got the first 3 guys I wanted. Foster was nearly yanking people into the Live Chat, but no one wanted to make any trades.

Now 24 is a lot, I agree, but I didn't think that 20 was too horrible a number. Maybe go back a little to 16. That looks like the perfect size to me.

In the end, the thing that will keeps this league active or not will be whether people can show up for the draft or not. If you've missed the draft, you can just as well quit the team, because it won't be fun anymore. At least, that's how I see it.

I think 12 is alright. If we do go up as high as 16 we should definitely put a maximum of 2 QB's and 2 DEF's per roster unless one of the QB's is on IR.

I also remember never having the position on the waiver wire. My starting QB last year was Cassel who was injured for a good amount of the season or just sucked. I never was able to pick up a QB that actually started for a team it was disappointing. It also was annoying to gamble between two second-string RB's hoping the starter got hurt or didn't hog the carries.
Zero2Cool  
#38 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 12:35:51 PM(UTC)
Thinking the max size would have to be 16 so everyone can have two QB, K and Def. I don't see how the scoring system could be manipulated to counter that issue.
Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:59:46 PM(UTC)
I have not updated the initial post as of this minute. I will with more information.

Going to have two leagues prepared for members. Each league will have a max of 12 teams. There will be one winner to be determined later. I have an idea in my pea sized brain, but gotta make sure it's fair and reasonable. :)

Scoring and Roster summary to come later.
bozz_2006  
#40 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:03:49 AM(UTC)
Sounds good!
Rss Feed