Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:58:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,832
Applause Received: 1,978

Web Page Name

Quote:
With an unproven rookie like Tim Tebow charging $160 for the privilege of having his signature placed on the item of your choice, a guy like Brett Favre easily can charge that much, and more.

And so he is.

A group called Radtke Sports is marketing a one-day signing event with Favre, via Brad Biggs of NFP. On July 15, he'll sign 100 items. But there will be no event at which Favre will shake hands and/or smile for the camera. Instead, all items must be sent in advance, with payment up front.

And if your item isn't one of the first 100 items received, you'll be S.O.L. Or, more accurately, S.O.F. (But at least you'll get your money back.)

The charge is $400 for a full-size helmet, $400 for a jersey, $250 for a football, $175 for a mini-helmet, large photos for $250, smaller photos for $175.

Inscriptions will cost an extra $100. ("Dear Joe, with your money, I'll be buying new tires for my tractor.")

Frankly, we think Brett should do more than 100 items. That way, he'll be able to add hand carpal tunnel syndrome to his 2010 list of built-in excuses in the event of failure.

C'mon, $400? I thought $160 for Tebow was about 140 too high.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:42:03 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Free market, my friend. If people are dumb enough to pay that much for an autograph, more power to them. It's a little crazy, though: Brett Favre has made in excess of $250 million in his career, and he needs to charge for autographs?
UserPostedImage
Offline TheEngineer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:02:16 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Gotta pay for ankle surgery somehow.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:08:37 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Charging for autographs is stupid, period. All these athletes are bozos, and once again, that's why I'd rather see them and not hear them. The less I know about their personal lives, the better.

JFC, you don't see rock stars charging for autographs. (Yet).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:11:56 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Maybe you can start the trend when you hit the big time, Zombieslayer.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:42:38 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,017

Color me disinterested... I could give a crap less if some people are willing to fork over 400 dollars for the honor of his John Henry.. more power to those that can milk that cash for something that will be meaningless by such an impersonal way to get something signed.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:45:19 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

People SELLING the autographs I believe are reason why signers require such a price for their ink.

I prefer the days when you had an autograph for the sake of HAVING the autograph, not for financial profit.

No signature is worth $400 to me, not Barry, not Brett, not even Earnhardt. I would jump at the chance to have them sign something, in person. I don't care if anyone believed me that it was real or not, I would know.

I'll stop before I continue on a rant on how money has ruined the Card collecting industry ...

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:56:14 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Eh. Who cares? I mean besides Florio the toolio.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online dhazer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:58:26 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 190

Zero hit the nail on the head, these players are charging for doing this because people will turn around and throw those autographs on EBAY. The good old days of getting autographs for pleasure are gone, Its all about the green and I'm not talking about the players.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:16:50 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Yes, it makes perfect sense. They felt so bad for the fans that had to pay for their autographs from some random guy on the internet, that they made them pay ridiculous amounts of money themselfs. Because they care about their fans.

Obviously the athletes want a stake in this. They want the money, or they wouldn't be doing this.

And $400,- isn't something someone would give up for a jersey signed by Favre. If he really wants to do this to stop people from re-selling them, let them pay $50, max.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:02:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I don't recall about too many others, but Brett didn't like others making money off his name. He said something about it being wrong. I don't remember the full context of it, but that was his beef with it. He mentioned he loved giving his autograph to anyone who wanted it because it was Brett Favre's autograph. Those who wanted it because they could sell it, he didn't care for them. His issue was ... how can you tell the difference?

Enter the enormous amounts to pay for it...

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:08:36 AM(UTC)
Formo

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it makes perfect sense. They felt so bad for the fans that had to pay for their autographs from some random guy on the internet, that they made them pay ridiculous amounts of money themselfs. Because they care about their fans.

Obviously the athletes want a stake in this. They want the money, or they wouldn't be doing this.

And $400,- isn't something someone would give up for a jersey signed by Favre. If he really wants to do this to stop people from re-selling them, let them pay $50, max.

The resale of those items are way better if the original person paid $50 than if they were to pay $400. Capitalism. If someone wants to resell an autograph for $50, it'll be hella easier than if they paid $400.. The $50 Hancock is much more profitable. No matter who it is.. if you paid $400 for the autograph and wanted to resell it, your chances of making any sort of decent money off it is pretty low.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:17:54 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

The resale of those items are way better if the original person paid $50 than if they were to pay $400. Capitalism. If someone wants to resell an autograph for $50, it'll be hella easier than if they paid $400.. The $50 Hancock is much more profitable. No matter who it is.. if you paid $400 for the autograph and wanted to resell it, your chances of making any sort of decent money off it is pretty low.

I think that's what I was saying. You have to pay so much for it already, chances of turning a profit are limited.

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:51:45 AM(UTC)
Formo

I think that's what I was saying. You have to pay so much for it already, chances of turning a profit are limited.

Yup. We agreed.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:58:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I think it's bull. Sterling Sharpe comes to mind. He refused to sign anything and I later found out it was because he didn't want it being sold to the highest bidder. I remember finally catching up to him when I was I think 10 and asked "Mr Sharpe, Mr Sharpe!!! can you sign this please??" his response was he couldn't cuz his hands were full. One hand he had his helmet through his shoulder pads and his other hand had his cleats and something else. I of course offered to carry anything for him and he just smiled and continued walking at a brisk pace.

This was shortly before I learned of the greatness that is Barry Sanders, so Sharpe and Majik were hands down my most favorite athletes ... as I would have said it then 'in the whole wide world!'.

I still remember the devastation I felt. After trying so many times to get close enough to him to ask, I finally got there and was rejected.

I blamed Sterling at first, but as I got older I realized why and stubbornly understood. Which is partially why I dislike money so much, I strongly feel it ruins the true 'value' of things that should not have a price tag. Such as, autographs. It would have meant the world to me as a 10 year told to have his ink on my purple bordered '89 Score supplemental card of his.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed