Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MassPackersFan  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:42:38 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

Why the huge disparity in price based on what the autograph is written on?
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:19:16 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

If they don't want things resold on eBay, they could mark them with some insignia of authenticity (say, a serial number) and keep records of the signings. That way if things turned up on resale venues like eBay, they could go after the original recipient for violation of whatever terms they decided to impose.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:23:07 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,988
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Why the huge disparity in price based on what the autograph is written on?

Certain items hold a higher value on being sold than others. A signed napkin is going to get you less than a signed football cleat.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline RaiderPride  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:37:12 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 215

I don't recall about too many others, but Brett didn't like others making money off his name. He said something about it being wrong. I don't remember the full context of it, but that was his beef with it. He mentioned he loved giving his autograph to anyone who wanted it because it was Brett Favre's autograph. Those who wanted it because they could sell it, he didn't care for them. His issue was ... how can you tell the difference?

Enter the enormous amounts to pay for it...

Good post.

I am sure this does piss off people like Brett. HOWEVER. The answer is very simple. DO NOT SIGN AN AUTOGRAPH unless it is personalized.

In other words ask the person who is asking for the autograph for their name and sign it "To Joe"

The fan gets a cool autograph... And it is not re-saleable to anyone other than a person named Joe.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline alharrisdude31  
#20 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:34:12 PM(UTC)
alharrisdude31

United States

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 15

well, all i care about my brett favre items now (all signed) is the money i can get in about 20 years, especially for the classic minihelmets
Offline TheEngineer  
#21 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:13:24 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Isn't the market flooded with fake signed articles of memorabilia, anyway? Who's to know whether Brett Favre really signed a jersey, or if some imposter just signed his name? Charging x amount for it won't stop the resale of unauthenticated items anyway (assuming that none of these signing days give a certificate of authenticity, then it's very difficult to tell between a good fake and these real signed pieces), means that the argument that charging a greater amount of money will stop people from reselling at a later date is ill-conceived, as it only provides a greater incentive to defraud a customer through fake signatures, since ostensibly a signed Favre piece of memorabilia will be priced up according to the 'cost' of acquiring such articles.

It all stinks in my opinion, from the profiteering by those who received and resell signed merchandise to Favre's motives.
blank
Offline 4PackGirl  
#22 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:14:03 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 161
Applause Received: 124

even though he has pissed me off beyond words the last couple years, i will never EVER sell my dad's autographed favre football nor will i ever get rid of the personal letter favre sent my dad. some things truly are sacred.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:22:09 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,988
Applause Received: 2,283

My Favre stuff is where it was when he retired a Packer. In a box in my closet. I don't foresee that changing unless he publicly insults the Packers fans. Then I'd consider burning it or something.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:31:37 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 693
Applause Received: 725

Color me disinterested... I could give a crap less if some people are willing to fork over 400 dollars for the honor of his John Henry.. more power to those that can milk that cash for something that will be meaningless by such an impersonal way to get something signed.

Of course if you did, that would make you a real toolio. (Since a "John Henry" is a a hammer, unlike a John Hancock, which is a signature.)

On a less pedantic note, I agree completely. I remember when I got Bart Starr's autograph, it was the coolest thing. But it was cool not because I got the signature on something, or because I could sell it later for dough, but because I was a little kid, because it was after a football game, and because I got within a foot or so of my idol and he said hi.

If people want to spend their money on such stuff, well, hey, it's their money. And since I've spent enough money on silly stuff in my life, who am I to talk? After all, what's dumber, the $400 autographed helmet in Packer bedroom shrine, or the $400 replica Sword of Charlemagne that hangs in my living room?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline dhazer  
#25 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:41:04 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 206

anyone want Aaron Rodgers autograph? I can get it done for cheap and its the real deal.

Of course it is from a wind tech but his name is spelled the same exact way lol
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Cheesey  
#26 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2010 9:47:45 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 229
Applause Received: 453

Here's my take.
I think atheletes charging for autographs is BULL. Plain and simple. So WHAT if someone makes a buck on it. They are making MILLIONS. Their refusing to sign hurts the REAL fans that can't afford to drop $400 for an autograph.

If a guy signs everything that he is asked to sign, and people KNOW that, what would it do to the prices of said items? They would drop ALOT. Thus, allowing those that can't GET to where a player lives or plays to be able to get a signature from their favorite player, without having to mortgage what they own. To me, any player that says he won't sign because someone might make a buck on it is just saying that because THEY want ALL the money for themselves. All just a convienient excuse.
Bart Starr will sign anything, for a small charge. (Which he gives to charity) But he insists on personalizing EVERYTHING. Even at Fan Fest, EVERYTHING he signed was personalized. That ends anyone making money off it.
Nice thing too, you can READ his signature.
After super bowl 31 i had a SB mini helmet signed by Desmond Howard. I paid $35 to have him sign it. You know what his "autograph" looks like?
"OX" Not kidding. If i didn't take a picture of him as he was signing it, you would have NO clue what the 2 letter scribble was. $35, and you SHOULD be able to READ it. Thats' BS in my view.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed