Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline longtimefan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:34:25 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

leader?

Quote:
As NFL training camps open this week with Cleveland and Dallas taking the field first, Brett Favre stands alone as the only player in the league who's happy with his contract but who may not show up for workouts.

Unlike guys who may hold out in an attempt to get more money, he seems fine with the $13 million the Vikings are offering him in 2010. And even though Favre is supposedly still deciding whether he wants to play a 20th season in the NFL, the prevailing school of thought is that he'll be back. So what's the deal with possibly skipping training camp?

The Favre apologists are quick to point out that he has earned this type of special treatment based upon his status and longevity in the league.

If that's the case, didn't Jerry Rice earn it as well? Or Emmitt Smith? Not to mention offensive linemen who played into their 40s, like Bruce Matthews and Jackie Slater.

I'm pretty sure they all earned the right not to attend the worst three or four weeks of the year without facing the possibility of being fined, but I don't remember them skipping out on their teammates.

Sure, their reps were measured and they were given practices off here and there, but they showed up year after year, even in the twilight of their careers. And they all played positions that are much more physically demanding during training camp than quarterback.

For a present day example, I don't see Ray Lewis staying away from camp, even though he too has earned that kind of preferential treatment with the Ravens.

That's because he, like the retired players I mentioned, knows that being with his teammates is the right thing to do, for so many reasons, including team-building. I mean, there's a reason it's called teamwork, Brett.

And yet, Favre isn't likely to report until mid- to late-August, shortly after the Vikings have packed up their training camp bags in Mankato, Minn., and headed back to the Twin Cities.

Is he worried about the intense practices? Sorry, but as a former offensive lineman I am not going to let a quarterback who wears a red jersey in practice attempt to get away with that excuse. That red jersey he wears means he is not allowed to even be touched, so Favre's gotta come up with something better than that.

Maybe he doesn't want to wear out his arm? Seems reasonable until you consider exactly how much clout and control Favre has in this situation. Does anyone honestly think head coach Brad Childress would ask Favre to throw one more football than he wants to? Didn't think so. Favre could easily be on a pitch count if he wanted. Heck, it could be the exact same number of throws he makes every day at Oak Grove High in Mississippi.

So if he can't get hit and he can make as few throws as he wants, why exactly does he not want to be there, like the rest of his teammates?

Is it sunburn? I'm sure they can find him a hat. Doesn't like the beds in Mankato? I'll bet they'd be willing to bring in a king size Tempur-Pedic for the 40-year-old grandfather.

Maybe it's the food, but I always loved the myriad of culinary options available at training camp, so I find that one hard to believe too.

My point is not that Favre's desire to skip training camp will have an adverse effect on the Vikings season, because clearly, based on their success last year, that isn't the concern.

My point is that Favre is not deserving of being a team leader if he misses training camp this year. There doesn't appear to be any good reason for him to not be there, other than he can get away with it. But that means it's all about him again, as, sadly, it usually is.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated...index.html#ixzz0uRBRTG7J
Sponsor
Offline Formo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:40:46 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

LTF!! I wish I could say I missed you.. =P

Moot point. The players on the team decide who's a leader.. Not some schmuck writing an article for hits.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline longtimefan  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 3:33:33 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

I bet you WISH you could say the Vikings have a SB trophy

**Had to edit my sentence looked stupid b4 lol **
Offline musccy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:51:47 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 158
Applause Received: 144

great article LTF. That articulated every virtually every gripe I have with Favre.
Offline longtimefan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:17:42 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Its up to his teamates if he is a leader..

But the reporter does make a valid point
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:35:22 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 221
Applause Received: 249

Leaders aren't elected. They show up and people follow them. Hard to do if you forget the first step.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:24:32 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,987

Quarterbacks are heavily protected in training camp's too. They are not allowed to be hit at all. Yet, no show?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline TheEngineer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:36:32 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

I don't think the Favre apologists will say he's earned this treatment, rather they'll probably say Favre hasn't made up his mind yet whether to play this season.
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:48:02 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Yeah....that's true.
Funny how he always makes up his mind AFTER all the hard workouts are over.
UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:01:46 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 338

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yeah....that's true.

Quite convenient really.

One possible answer that the writer didn't come up with; maybe Brett's down in Mississippi at Oak Grove because he really likes high school boys.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline tromadz  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:15:53 PM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Yeah....that's true.

Quite convenient really.

One possible answer that the writer didn't come up with; maybe Brett's down in Mississippi at Oak Grove because he really likes high school boys.

Sounds like an onion article in the making.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:26:29 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 221
Applause Received: 249

Favre Plays with Boys. Film at 11.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:50:34 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

This made both my wife and I laugh out loud. She suggested that maybe Favre should admit to liking high school boys -- then the whole world will be talking about him for a few more months.

Speaking of coming out, one of the lieutenants in my unit apparently came out (verbally) at some point in our two-week training exercise this month. The resultant shitstorm that is brewing overhead does not bode well for him. Don't-ask-don't-tell, while on its way out, has not been repealed yet.
UserPostedImage
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 6:31:42 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

Applause Received: 3

Oh god, exactly what the world needs. ANOTHER article bashing Favre. Favre didn't show up for training camp last year. Did it matter? Does anyone really think that showing up for training camp last year would have caused Peterson to fumble less, Favre to not throw INTs, etc. in the Saints game?

NO, of course not. It didn't matter. That's the whole point. If Vikings players, management, fans, etc. don't care, why does the rest of the world care? I don't understand it. At the end of the day, last year he didn't need training camp and had one of his best years ever at 40 (40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40) years old. 40! So why show up this year.

So why do people care, I don't understand it. I bet by writing this article, the poster's views went up 300% as opposed to non-Favre articles.

Really, this guy writing on an internet site has decided that Favre is not a leader? "My point is that Favre is not deserving of being a team leader if he misses training camp this year." What does that even mean?

U have haters in life that jump all over this stuff. Remember the "schism". Then no mention of it. What if Favre ends up playing this for $13 million and never demanded more money. There will be no mention of it. What if Favre doesn't show up to training camp, comes out and has a great year and becomes "team leader". There will be no mention of it. What if Favre goes back to Dr. Andrews this week and his ankle stinks and he needs another surgery so there was a reason he sat out this year, there will be no mention of it.

He's not perfect (by any stretch) but how many more of these types of articles can people think of. Seriously. At the end of the day, at 40 to go out there, be a top 3 QB in the league and make the NFC championship game with NO training camp speaks to something - with NO schism or team bitterness, etc. HE DOESN'T F'N NEED TRAINING CAMP AND HIS TEAMMATES DON'T CARE, VIKINGS FANS DON'T CARE - WHY DOES EVERYONE ELSE?

Like get on Favre all you want about stupid decisions (Eagles playoffs OT) or bad throws (Giants playoffs OT) or his age or whatever - that makes sense. But I do not understand people's obsession with the whole being there for training camp. WHO CARES. If Favre sucks this year, it is not going to be because he didnt' "deserve" to be team leader by not showing up to training camp - last year without any doubt proves training camp for Favre means nothing.

Rant done.
blank
Offline nyrpack  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 11:00:00 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 41

any guy who simply elevates others and wins , is a leader in my book, that said brett is a true leader !!
jimmy b.
Rss Feed