You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cheeseheads123  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:32:31 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 79

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline WhiskeySam  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:42:12 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Applause Received: 1

His advice "Suck it up and be a man."
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline Packnic  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:37:41 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Quote:
By Ed Werder
ESPN.com

Updated: October 14, 2008, 3:43 PM ET

New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre, who has started an NFL-record 258 consecutive regular-season games, told ESPN he called Tony Romo to offer encouragement as the young quarterback copes with a fractured finger on his passing hand that apparently will end his streak of consecutive starts after 30 often spectacular performances.

Favre called Romo as the Dallas Cowboys quarterback was heading to an appointment with doctors.

Romo could not be reached by ESPN for comment.

Favre said he respects Romo's toughness and regards him as one of the top-five players in the entire NFL, regardless of position.

Predictably, Favre advised Romo to do everything possible to avoid the sideline, explaining how he played though the agonizing pain of a fractured thumb to maintain his streak with the Green Bay Packers.

"The only thing I said was, it's worth trying [to play] if you can deal with the pain and can function good enough with a splint,'' Favre said. "If not, don't try.''

Romo will not require surgery but is expected to miss four weeks with his injury. While quarterbacks such as Favre and Drew Bledsoe -- the quarterback Romo replaced in Dallas -- have played with broken fingers, the Cowboys explain that the pinkie is essential in gripping the ball whereas other fingers are more involved in delivering accurate passes and taking direct snaps from under center.

Favre told Romo that his thumb injury "hurt like hell, but that doesn't mean a pinkie would be any easier.''

Although there seems to be some unjustified question about Romo's toughness, Favre has no such doubts, lavishing praise on a player whose reckless style and fun-loving nature on the field has been compared to the future Hall of Famer who holds virtually every significant NFL record for quarterbacks.

"I talked to Tony about what I did to play with the thumb,'' Favre said. "Everyone is different and the two injuries are different, so only Tony knows. I will say this: Not only do I think he's tough, but I think he's also one of the top five playes in the entire league.''

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

I hate this for so so many reasons.

First of all the fact that this even made it the headlines on ESPN at all. The fact that Brett didn't call his former teammate Aaron and offer advice or encouragment. The fact that Aaron outplayed Brett yet again and no mention of a side by side comparison. and the fact that Brett considers Tony Romo one of the top 5 players in the NFL ... regardless of position. Even though Romo has never won a playoff game and consistently screws his own team in the clutch.

I think i just hate ESPN most though.
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:47:18 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I have some of the call. I'll post a bit of it...........

BF: Hey Tony.
TR: Hey Brett!
BF: Heard ya broke yur pinkie.
TR: Yup....hurts like heck!
BF: Damn.....yur a WUSSIE!!!
TR: What???
BF: WUSSIE! Whatsa matter Tony.......can't raise yur pinkie when ya drink yur tea now?
TR: Brett.....I never expected that from you!!! *sniff*
BF: What? Yur gonna start cryin' on me too??? Damn wuss........
TR: Hey! You cried at yur "I'm retiring! I ain't got nuthin' left!" press conference! I got REAL pain! YUR the wussie!!!
BF: You take that back you Cow pokin' perv!
TR: BITE ME "Mr. Jet!"
BF: Thats low Tony......REAL low.
TR: Sorry Brett.....sorry......
BF: But yur STILL a WUSSIE!!!
TR: Yeah? How many times did ya beat the Cowboys in Texas?????
BF: (HANGS UP)
TR: NOW who's the wussie????
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:45:40 PM(UTC)
IronMan

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 53

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
. and the fact that Brett considers Tony Romo one of the top 5 players in the NFL ... regardless of position. Even though Romo has never won a playoff game and consistently screws his own team in the clutch.

You can't really say he "consistently" screws his team in the clutch when he's only played in 2 playoff games. Remember when Peyton Manning had the same reputation?
Offline agopackgo4  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:57:18 AM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

Who is to say that Brett has not talked to Arod at all? Who knows... I thought that it was cool that Favre called him up. Nothing better than getting advice from a hall of famer.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:52:08 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 149
Applause Received: 121

uhhh nic - then why the HELL did you post the friggin article???? LOL. ;)
UserPostedImage
Offline Heatherthepackgirl  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:59:11 AM(UTC)
Heatherthepackgirl

Applause Received: 1

Cool article, coming from a classy guy. Not many can play with the injuries Favre has all had. I hope Romo can get back on the field soon. :)
Heathiee
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:15:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

uhhh nic - then why the HELL did you post the friggin article???? LOL. ;)

Just because he hates ESPN, doesn't mean he shouldn't share an article with the rest of us.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DGB454  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:55:57 AM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

I hate this for so so many reasons.

First of all the fact that this even made it the headlines on ESPN at all. The fact that Brett didn't call his former teammate Aaron and offer advice or encouragment. The fact that Aaron outplayed Brett yet again and no mention of a side by side comparison. and the fact that Brett considers Tony Romo one of the top 5 players in the NFL ... regardless of position. Even though Romo has never won a playoff game and consistently screws his own team in the clutch.

I was kind of wondering when the call to Rodgers was going to happen after I heard he called Tony Homo. I guess Brett is still holding a grudge.

I actually don't think Rodgers needs advice from anyone on how to be tough and play through pain. He is doing a great job at it now.
Offline longtimefan  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:08:30 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

I say either no one knows Brett called AR, or since Aaron Rodgers is PLAYING with the injury why bother calling him?
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:45:24 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Either Brett is nowhere near the guy I think he is, or he's called Aaron and offered encouragement -- likely more than once. For obvious reasons, I doubt either one of them would talk about it, but I can't imagine he hasn't done so.

This is only news because the only guy ESPN loves to butt-kiss more than Brett is Romo -- they've been through the whole "Romo is the second coming of Favre" thing so many times I can't count all of them.

Brett's had nothing but good things to say about Aaron when asked, and made a point of saying he had no problems with Aaron succeeding him. They also (at least reportedly) had a good relationship while he was in GB -- I would bet he's been in near-constant contact w/ Aaron since the season started.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:54:32 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

I prefer to think that Brett knows Aaron makeup and character.. thus not much encouragement is needed, but I will almost guarantee that Brett and Aaron have talked.

Plus, if Brett or Aaron made public they are speaking.. can you imagine the media spin on that.. holy smokes.

Tony is mister media.. with a very famous gf.. what better way to get his name in the media for the 10,000 time this month.. or Brett's...
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:12:10 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I have some of the call. I'll post a bit of it...........

Brett Favre: Hey Tony.
TR: Hey Brett!
Brett Favre: Heard ya broke yur pinkie.
TR: Yup....hurts like heck!
Brett Favre: Damn.....yur a WUSSIE!!!
TR: What???
Brett Favre: WUSSIE! Whatsa matter Tony.......can't raise yur pinkie when ya drink yur tea now?
TR: Brett.....I never expected that from you!!! *sniff*
Brett Favre: What? Yur gonna start cryin' on me too??? Damn wuss........
TR: Hey! You cried at yur "I'm retiring! I ain't got nuthin' left!" press conference! I got REAL pain! YUR the wussie!!!
Brett Favre: You take that back you Cow pokin' perv!
TR: BITE ME "Mr. Jet!"
Brett Favre: Thats low Tony......REAL low.
TR: Sorry Brett.....sorry......
Brett Favre: But yur STILL a WUSSIE!!!
TR: Yeah? How many times did ya beat the Cowboys in Texas?????
Brett Favre: (HANGS UP)
TR: NOW who's the wussie????

Cheesey - That was hilarious! :lol:
+1
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline TheEngineer  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:21:23 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

I prefer to think that Brett knows Aaron makeup and character.. thus not much encouragement is needed, but I will almost guarantee that Brett and Aaron have talked.

Plus, if Brett or Aaron made public they are speaking.. can you imagine the media spin on that.. holy smokes.

See, I don't know about that. Rodgers has said that he hasn't talked to Favre since he left the Packers, back during the start of the season. Have they talked since then? Maybe, but I get the feeling both players are trying to be professionally distant.
blank