Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:13:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,987
Applause Received: 2,283

http://sports.espn.go.co...10/news/story?id=5433551

Quote:
Brett Favre has informed the Vikings that he will not return for another season in Minnesota, the Star-Tribune reported Tuesday.

Favre has sent text messages to teammates saying, "This is it," league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Neither Favre nor the Vikings have confirmed the news but a press release is expected Tuesday, the sources said.

The Associated Press also reported that Favre is saying that he's not returning this season.

The Vikings' ownership is holding its annual meeting at training camp Tuesday morning.

This would be the third retirement for Favre, who also retired after 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers after the 2007 season and one season with the New York Jets after the 2008 season.

Favre has been working out at his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., still rehabbing a surgically repaired ankle that was injured in Minnesota's overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC title game. He has yet to inform the team if he will honor the second year of his contract and come back for another run at the Super Bowl.

Last year Favre told the Vikings he was not going to play shortly before camp opened. But he changed his mind a few weeks later, and went on to record one of the best seasons of his career despite having less than three weeks to prepare.

Favre threw for over 4,200 yards with 33 touchdowns and just seven interceptions to lead the Vikings (12-4) to the NFC North title and their first NFC title game since 2001.

Didn't he say the same thing early August last year too, that he wasn't playing in the upcoming season, then two weeks later, he's on the sidelines?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline voiceofreason  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:14:01 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 33

Almost makes you feel for the Vikings. Almost.
blank
Offline longtimefan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:16:34 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Yes told them last year he wasnt playing...then changed his mind...Just like telling ESPN he was retired from the JETS and it was REAL and wouldnt change his mind
Online wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:22:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,231
Applause Received: 1,554

UserPostedImage

Brett's retiring. ::roll:
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:29:21 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Almost makes you feel for the Vikings. Almost.

With all that's going on, I need this laugh. Brett saying he's done, again. Now the Vikings fan's can say 'we dont need that cheesepuff anyhow'. I can't wait for those comments to fly. I think Formo might be the only one who's going to say 'FUCK we really needed Brett, but we should be good without him too".

Vikesrule is doing a happy dance right about now.

Do I feel bad for the Vikings, hell no because they were laughing at us year after year since the beginning of the century. I didn't blame them for laughing, as I said at the time, I'd laugh at my ass too.

Here's a timeline....
July 29th, 2009, Favre tells Vikings that he is going to remain retired.
Aug 19th, 2009, Favre unretires and signs two year contract with the Vikings.

I (as MANY also did) said he'd do the ankle surgery, say he wasn't coming back ... then around 2nd/3rd game "heh guys i jes kiddin i commin back!"

The thing is, this will sit in the minds of the players too. Brett did the same thing last year. AND the owner and coach said the time has passed for Brett to be a Viking. THEN he was a Viking!!

There's no stability there, no structure, no fortitude to make a REAL decision amongst the Vikings brass.

So, I laugh, yes, I laugh. Just as I would have laughed at my ass for more than half a decade of going through something similar.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:33:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

http://nbcsports.msnbc.c...d/32147031/ns/sports-nfl

There's a neat time line of Brett, better than the one I threw up. Dates back to 2002.

UserPostedImage
Offline twebdonny  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:33:15 PM(UTC)
twebdonny

Favre set to join the Miami Heat

j/k
Offline Greg C.  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:36:40 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I suspect that Brett was feeling a little lonely because of the lack of media attention, with everyone thinking that he was going to come back for sure. The retirement announcement is a good way to put the spotlight back on him, and it will also make him look more "heroic" to his fans when he decides to play after all. Also, maybe this time he can miss the entire preseason instead of having to play those last couple games.
blank
Online wpr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:40:26 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Favre set to join the Miami Heat

j/k

+1 POTD! Well done.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:41:35 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I want tears at the presser tomorrow or I will feel cheated.
UserPostedImage
Offline twebdonny  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:43:15 PM(UTC)
twebdonny

Favre the "decision"

hey if LeBron can get away with it...

hahahaha
Offline Rockmolder  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:46:02 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 165
Applause Received: 270

You know, if he doesn't come back, he really, really screwed the Vikings over.

I mean, they could've gone after Donovan McNabb earlier in the off-season. Their late 1st would've gotten him. They could've signed Derek Anderson to compete for the starting spot. He showed he can do something if he actually has a supporting cast. They could've drafted Jimmy Clausen in the late first or early second.
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:57:32 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Maybe Brett is still "helping" the Packers. It was a trade off, play soft defense to allow him his public 'revenge' on going 2 - 0 against the Packers for his retirement in this year.

UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:58:38 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

what if this is true? but then in 3 weeks says he wants back..

Vik players and fans be ok with it
Offline flep  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:29:33 PM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 59
Applause Received: 60

I'll believe it when I see Brett on TV saying "As of now I am officially retired"

Then again I believed it 2 years ago.

I've had enough of it to be honest.

I couldn't give 2 friggs anymore!!
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Rss Feed