Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:59:12 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,838
Applause Received: 1,993

http://www.thevikingship...minnesota-vikings-links/

Quote:
Listed below are the stats Peyton Manning would need to average for the specified years to start passing Favres records. With amazing numbers, he may begin passing him as early as four years from now. However, most of these records will be passed in five to six years. An asterisk denotes the point that exceeds Mannings current yearly averages.

4 More Years (2013 Season) Age 37: Completions 463 Attempts 820 Yards 4,800, TD 33

5 More Years (2014) Age 38: Completions 370 Attempts 656 Yards 3,840*, TD 26*

6 More Years (2015) Age 39: Completions 308* Attempts 546 Yards 3200*, TD 22*

7 More Years (2016) Age 40: Completions 264* Attempts 469* Yards 2743*, TD 19*

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline gopackers08  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:26:33 PM(UTC)
gopackers08

Not only will Manning pass Favre's numbers, but he will crush them. There is no doubt in my mind that Manning is a better stats guy than Favre. Also, I'm saying that only if Favre doesn't keep coming back year after year. But as the stats stand right now I think Manning will easily do it.

Manning also has had many fewer injuries than Favre has and he could play into his young 40s.

Just my opinion.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:28:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

It'll only take one Super Bowl win to pass Brett in rings.

I threw some numbers together to get an idea of how long it might take.

I think the TD record might be the only one in real jeopardy.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:37:41 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

This here.. the record book, is something I really care less about tied to an individual athlete.. that includes Brett Favre.

Stats in this game are so interdependent upon your teammates, that IMO it is one of the biggest misconceptions when judging talent. Don't are about the position.. this sport is the ultimate team sport where IMO you can't rely on stats to determine a players place in history.

It isn't Basketball or Baseball where situations are more segmented upon the individual.

So that is a long winded way to say I don't a rats ass if Peyton catches him or not. ;)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:43:00 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I wasn't saying one was better than the other based on stats, or saying it at all. I simply posed a question, because stats interest me. Oddly enough, you have no interest and said more than I did. :)

UserPostedImage
Offline gopackers08  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:46:11 PM(UTC)
gopackers08

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
This here.. the record book, is something I really care less about tied to an individual athlete.. that includes Brett Favre.

Stats in this game are so interdependent upon your teammates, that IMO it is one of the biggest misconceptions when judging talent. Don't are about the position.. this sport is the ultimate team sport where IMO you can't rely on stats to determine a players place in history.

It isn't Basketball or Baseball where situations are more segmented upon the individual.

So that is a long winded way to say I don't a rats ass if Peyton catches him or not. ;)

I disagree, while it may not be quite as important as other sports its still a proper metric of talent. To be in the league for so many years as a starting QB means that no one ever toook your spot which means you were always the best option.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:59:20 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't saying one was better than the other based on stats, or saying it at all. I simply posed a question, because stats interest me. Oddly enough, you have no interest and said more than I did. :)

LOL.. like I said.. a long winded dis of the stats arguments that spawn within this game.. sooner or later it will turn into the whom is better.. or the top 5 all time QB's based on stats.

While stats have some longevity or a player striving within a team and system value.. IMO, it doesn't justify the natural talent of players very well..

Just one quick example.. anyone that thinks Emmitt Smith was a better back than Sander, Payton, Simms, Dorsett, or Brown based on stats, IMO, is barking up the wrong tree.

One has to look no further than the offensive line, QB, and offense that Smith was dropped into verse say a Sanders or Payton.. case closed.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:23:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

You pulled the Barry Sanders card!!!!

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:39:51 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I can throw out others if need be.. but the Smith one is just low hanging fruit.. IMO.. Smith probably doesn't crack the all time top 25 list let alone anything else.

In this game.. player stats for the most part are skewed by their playing situation and environment.

But I like the Sanders card. ;)

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:43:07 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

lol

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:30:18 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I love stats and wish Packers owned every single one of them, but especially Lombardi trophies.

Favre was a Packer for most of his career. Manning never was a Packer. Now if Rodgers and Manning swap teams, I'll be rooting for Manning to break Favre's records. If not, I hope Favre keeps playing and puts them out of reach.

But like I said, Lombardi trophies are more important and that's a team record.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:49:33 AM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I'm not sure though if Manning will be as good as Favre at a later age as he doesn't have the mobility or arm strength Brett has but his smarts might make up for it. Also I feel the Colts are due for some down years as no teams stay on top for a long time anymore
Offline blueleopard  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:00:31 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 60

Peyton Manning is prototypical NFL QB. Brett isn't.

I've seen Peyton Manning make great plays because the guy is an expert at what he does.

I've seen Brett Favre make great plays because the guy won't quit, no matter what's stacked against him.

Beating Peyton Manning is a systematic approach. Beating Brett Favre is about how much you wanna do it.

I really doubt Manning is going to be throwing the balls Brett throws now at age 40. But he CAN catch the records. I just don't see anybody else playing this long.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:07:28 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 250

The decades they play in also means a lot. 14 of the 17 players ranked higher than Favre on the all time list are Active Players. Including Jeff Garcia and Daunte Culpepper. Now is a great time to be a QB.

Life time accumulation records don't mean much if you play twice as long as the vast majority of QBs. He also got more ints, more fumbles, more sacks, more ints in the playoffs... I would be more interested in things like TD/TO ratio, Yards/TO, Completion percentage, QB rating and stuff like that. Even that is subject to the team they play with. Look at Tom Brady and Matt Cassell. The Patriots make them both look great, Cassell goes to the Chiefs and his rating drops 20 points. Bradys line starts to break down and their D retires and he has trouble scoring.

The one stat that impresses me is the consecutive games. No matter what, that is out standing and will probably never be beaten.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:10:50 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Dexter, I've been fighting this fight long before you arrived here, and I can tell you it's a losing battle. People are blinded by the raw numbers -- the life time accumulation records, as you call them -- and never put them in the context of the ratios you mention.

Ah, well, stand back-to-back with me and we'll bravely wield our swords together. ;)
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed