Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dhazer  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 1:02:55 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on this. I know alot will say Greg Jennings, but i'm talking about all around Wr. I personally have to go with Hines Ward from the Steelers, he can play wr, rb, and qb if he has to. He puts up the yards and tds, and even throws tds, But he also blocks, and not those little get in the way blocks but decleating blocks. He has been fined twice this year for his blocks but yet he never got the flag thrown on them. I found this video on youtube which pretty much shows his all around play.
Like i said i was just curious what others thought on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbLNFiQSTyE

[youtube]nbLNFiQSTyE[/youtube]

i would embed it but i couldnt figure out how

*Edit.. embedded it for you DH.. so you can see how the code works.. Pack93z *
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Sponsor
Offline DGB454  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 7:00:31 AM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

Hines is one of the best that's for sure. I haven't watched all of the receivers in the NFL but I do pay attention to the Steelers.
They are one of my favorite teams.
Offline gbpfan  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 9:38:05 AM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

as an all around player hines ward for sure,but at w.r i would go with d.d that guy just doent stop once he has the ball :icon_smile:
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 9:40:17 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Bell all around? Blocking? Catching? Route Running? After the catch?
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 10:54:55 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,059

Andre Johnson, Texans... guy is a bigger faster version of Hines Ward.. wicked blocker in the running game and a monster in the passing game.. total package.

Doesn't get the pub he should.. but a struggling team will do that.. I would build a team around that kid.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline TengoJuego  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 11:34:04 AM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Andre Johnson, Texans... guys is a bigger faster version of Hines Ward.. wicked blocker in the running game and a monster in the passing game.. total package.

Doesn't get the pub he should.. but a struggling team will do that.. I would build a team around that kid.

I'm gonna second that. Theres not really any other guy I can think of that does all the things that Zero & Dhazer mentioned.

Hines is a big time blocker, but he isn't very fast, and isn't exactly the best route runner or runner.
Offline zombieslayer  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 1:24:30 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I know this is cliche but I'd take Randy Moss. Yes, he can't block worth a damn. Yes, he's kind of a punk. Yes, he has a low IQ. But he opens things up for an O. He's hands down the best WR since Jerry Rice.

Try covering a guy who's 6'4" and runs a 4.29. Give him a good QB and you have to gameplan to stop him more than any other WR in the NFL. Heck, he made Daunte I'm Glad the Packers Didn't Get Him Culpepper look good.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 1:41:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I know this is cliche but I'd take Randy Moss. Yes, he can't block worth a damn. Yes, he's kind of a punk. Yes, he has a low IQ. But he opens things up for an O. He's hands down the best WR since Jerry Rice.

Try covering a guy who's 6'4" and runs a 4.29. Give him a good QB and you have to gameplan to stop him more than any other WR in the NFL. Heck, he made Daunte I'm Glad the Packers Didn't Get Him Culpepper look good.

I thought we were including route running though?
UserPostedImage
Offline TengoJuego  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 4:17:27 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

United States

Best all around? Blocking... Catching... Route Running... After the catch...

Randy Moss Cant/Doesn't block, Doesn't run that great of routes, dangerous after the catch, but no so much now. I still don't think he is as fast as he was in Minnesota. Actually I don't think hes as good period as he was in Minnesota.
Offline zombieslayer  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 5:53:45 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Best all around? Blocking... Catching... Route Running... After the catch...

Randy Moss Cant/Doesn't block, Doesn't run that great of routes, dangerous after the catch, but no so much now. I still don't think he is as fast as he was in Minnesota. Actually I don't think hes as good period as he was in Minnesota.

Just last year, he scored 23 TDs. Broke Rice's record.

The only problem is Tom Brady's injured. Give him Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre and you'd see Moss get double digit TDs again and 1200+ yards.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline dhazer  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 7:33:35 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

I thought about Johnson but i never seen highlights of his blocks. I thought id start this when i was surfing youtube and came across that vid. I just cant see how Moss fits in there like you said he don't block, pretty much his routes are go long lol. But each person has their own opinion. I might even throw in the old vet Derrick Mason i seen him block and his route running is good. He just don't have the qbs to put up huge stats. Thanks Pack for embedding it for me. BTW did anyone notice Ward calling the trainer after he hit Reed before the play was even over?
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline TengoJuego  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:02:45 AM(UTC)
TengoJuego

United States

I don't think I've ever seen anything BUT Hines Ward Blocking Highlights. And his Ocho Cinco mock celebration.
Offline HoustonMatt  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:24:30 AM(UTC)
HoustonMatt

Personally, I don't see much of a reason to make a distinction between "best WR" and "best overall WR". Sure, the latter includes things like run blocking, but I don't know how important that really is. I don't have any data to support this, but I suspect a WRs run blocking ability is analogous to a pitcher's defense. Is it an asset? Absolutely. But it's such a small part of their job, that I would generally only use it for tiebreakers. Essentially, as great of a blocker as Hines Ward is, I don't feel that skill is important enough to vault him ahead of the Larry Fitzgeralds of the world.

With that said, I would put Larry Fitzgerald at the top of the best WR class.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:58:58 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

If you don't think blocking matters in a WR... try asking a RB that once. Just once and you'll find out how untrue that is. :)
UserPostedImage
Offline HoustonMatt  
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:19:23 AM(UTC)
HoustonMatt

If you don't think blocking matters in a WR... try asking a RB that once. Just once and you'll find out how untrue that is. :)

It's not that I think it doesn't matter, just that I think the other duties of a WR are vastly more important. But maybe more importantly, is a WR in the 80th percentile of blocking ability going to be vastly better at it than a WR in the 20th percentile? Again, I don't have any data to support my theory, but my guess would be that the difference is negligible - at least relative to the difference in receiving ability given the same parameters.
blank