Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackerTraxx  
#26 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:51:24 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

That is truely a difficult question and one we are not actually equipped to answer. Vince said Forrest Gregg was the greatest player he ever coached. I put a lot of stock in Vince's opinion, yet where is Gregg on any lists? How about Gale Gillingham, in the new Packer Yearbook Ron Wolf says he may be the best GB ever had.

However, this is America and we're entitled to our opinions. I believe to so one has to study past players and eras and put things in perspective. Football changes and rules change. The offense has been given tremendeous advantages in our new era. Linemen able to use they're hands, 5 yard bump rule for receivers, Dlineman can't club to the helmet, etc.

After all that I say . . .

DON HUTSON
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline dingus  
#27 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:53:42 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 27

Tough Choice but I'd have to say Starr. He wasn't the flashiest QB but, as Herm Edwards said "You play the game to win". Starr did just that, 9-1 in the postseason, 5 championships.

When I was young I was sitting in my parents garage, playing with my Matchbox cars (loved those orange tracks, perfect weapon when your friends got unruly) and a van pulled into our driveway. Out pops Ray Nitschke, coming to meet with my dad about some GB public schools fundraiser. I was in awe.
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#28 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 9:27:57 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

Brett Favre. easy.
UserPostedImage
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:18:21 PM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I'm young too but from what I know I'd say Hutson because the way he dominated the game. Everyone takes fro granted that Rice is the best WR ever but if you compare his stats to the other WR's of his era he doesn't come close to dominating the way Hutson did. If you take into account everything a player has done for a franchise that brings Favre up there for me. (funny as I'm typing this I'm watching his first big game against the Bengals)
Offline Cheesehog  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:02:29 PM(UTC)
Cheesehog

[size=18]Ray defined the Packer image and the "Black & Blue" division.
UserPostedImage
Before Favre and Reggie, when someone said "Green Bay Packers".....Nitschke and Starr were the names of players that came to mind. Now it's Favre and Reggie White. I guess before the sixties.....Fans were more into the team as a whole than what it has evolved into now-a-days, Individual Super-Star status...although the day had it's "outstanding performers".

In the years ahead....and it will come....the Packers will have household names that helped them win Championships ::wink: ...and their names will be trown into the mix.[/size]
There are TWO types of Football Fans,...Packers fans....and those who wish they could be a Packers Fan.
UserPostedImage
Offline brnt247  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:18:07 PM(UTC)
brnt247

Regardless of how many titles were won, the question is who is the greatest single player in Packer's history. To go with anyone other than Favre is kind of wacky.
blank
Rss Feed