Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:56:47 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,448
Applause Received: 3,868
As most of you know, this site started out as a hobby of mine.

I made many tweaks, changes, "enhancements" and what have you to the core code. That is not bad, that is a good thing. What is bad, I did not document my changes, which is a supreme fail for any programmer. I figured "I break it, no biggie, I upload the core again and start again". It was fun.

I think now if I were to just wipe it all away, some of you might be upset. I know if I was you, I would be. One of the things I aim for is providing a stable platform/media for those who choose to use it.

The CMS core developers have been long at work improving security, response time, modules, etc in the "dark" (for lack of better term). They've released a "silent" update, while working on a publicly known major release.

Software typically is released in minor and major releases. 1.0 to 1.1 is minor, 1.1 to 2.0 is major.

We're on 9.2, but they're working on 10.0 currently. The latest core is 9.3.

I'm going to set up a mirror site using that core and gradually prepare it for upgrading to 10.0 when it's released.

Why might you care?
As has been one of my goals is to keep members informed of the sites direction as much as I possibly can. Also, this is a warning, I will make mistakes and I will screw something up. That's inevitable. BUT, if you navigate to a page and it fails or you hit PH.com and it fails ... it's just me screwing something up and rest assured, it's being worked on.

This also means I've decided to stick with PHP front end with MySQL as the backend instead of ASP/MVC with SQL Server. Reason is, there's just too many positives to what we've got here already to re-invent the wheel. Instead, I'm going to systematically force myself to learn PHP more efficiently.

A complete site rebuild is necessary to procure new features into the site effectively. My first goal is develop a method of creating and maintain code level changes and effects.

Some might remember the NFL Picks feature that was worked on. It was completed, but not to my satisfactory because of the lack of knowledge of other changes that I wanted to incorporate.

I want to build new features, but it's hard when you don't know what you're breaking. With documentation of the changes, new features will be more likely to be added and implemented properly.

A few things I want?
I'd like to be able to "Like" or "Dislike" posts (sorta like Facebook)
Add sarcasm tags on single click.
Incorporate NFL Picks
Single tier quoting
Enhance search (Search for "by Jason Wilde", or tag [OFFICAL])

Those are just examples, I have a few more, but I can't do anything with them until the site is rebuilt, intelligently.

There shouldn't be many changes noticeable in the immediate feature, but if you have other ideas, please, post them with detail.
Offline Packers_Finland  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:02:20 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45
Thanks for the heads up in advance.

I wouldn't like a like/dislike button. We already got applause buttons. Not to mention that like/dislike buttons are just a cheap replacement for comments, and in the process we might end up losing some really insightful posts.

I like all the other stuff though.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:05:29 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
True, but on a positive, it may help eliminate the turds who quote a post and type nothing but "this". I'd gladly code for 5 hours to get rid of that embarrassing effort of a contribution.
Offline Packers_Finland  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:06:35 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45
" said: Go to Quoted Post
True, but on a positive, it may help eliminate the turds who quote a post and type nothing but "this". I'd gladly code for 5 hours to get rid of that embarrassing effort of a contribution.

This.

On a serious note though, you should go all NFL on the "This" guys and start ejecting and suspending people.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:14:41 PM(UTC)

United States
The Like and Dislike can be toggle enabled/disabled in my preferences too.

If you don't wish to have the option to like, or dislike, turn it off.

Or, we can have it enabled to members who exceeded X amount of posts.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 12:13:51 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 304
You can enable single-tier quoting very easily in the administrator's control panel. At least you can in phpBB, and if I understand correctly, the software behind this forum is a fork of phpBB.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 2:06:00 AM(UTC)

United States
" said: Go to Quoted Post
You can enable single-tier quoting very easily in the administrator's control panel. At least you can in phpBB, and if I understand correctly, the software behind this forum is a fork of phpBB.

http://packershome.com/F...ro/viewtopic/t=9188.html
Offline dfosterf  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 12:58:27 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:24:08 PM(UTC)

United States
http://demos.telerik.com/mvc/forum/aspnet-ajax/

I like the tree-view to access the categories, then the sections on the side. It'd take some work to make it feasible though. Good thing with that forum is I can tinker with it at work, because it's MVC and it'll be considered a learning project. :)

As I post this, the site is blazing fast. Go figure.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:31:47 PM(UTC)

United States
http://mesoboard.com/ another asp.net mvc board software
Rss Feed