Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
longtimefan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:04:20 PM(UTC)
Quote:
No suspension, but a big fine 4 Barnett

Linebacker Nick Barnett was able to get out of a one-game suspension that would have kept him out of the regular-season opener against Minnesota but still was hit with a major fine 4 violating the NFLs personal-conduct policy.

The NFL originally suspended Barnett 4 one game after he pled guilty in March to two counts of disorderly conduct 4 his role in an incident at an Appleton nightclub last year.

To appeal the original one-game suspension, which includes a one-game fine, Barnett had to travel to New York City to meet with NFL officials. Though the league dropped the suspension, it still fined him a one-week proration of his $2 million base salary. Players are paid once a week over 17 weeks, so he lost 1/17th of his salary, or $117,647.

i forgot ALL ABOUT that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad he isn't going to miss any time
bozz_2006  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:08:32 PM(UTC)
thanks for the update LT +1... I'm being such an applause hussy tonight.
longtimefan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:32:08 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

me love you long time......

umm

NM used already
TheEngineer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:23:49 AM(UTC)
Good to see that he's not going to miss time.
wils0646  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:43:38 PM(UTC)
Nice. Barnett is a beast!
Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:57:15 PM(UTC)
Want an honest opinion.. I kinda wish he would have gotten a one game suspension.. without opening this up for a large debate.. it would have burned it into Nick's mind frame and more importantly the younger guys on the field to understand you are risking a lot for a couple hours of fun.

Same goes for Johnny Jolly.. I hope he has to sit for a little and make him rethink his choices away from the field.
strobl2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:05:48 PM(UTC)
I agree, I think all professional athletes should be held more accountable for their behavior off the field. They are role models for younger players and for kids across america.
NodakPaul  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:26:07 PM(UTC)
Wow, I didn't even realize he had been suspended.
NodakPaul  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:27:22 PM(UTC)
Want an honest opinion.. I kinda wish he would have gotten a one game suspension.. without opening this up for a large debate.. it would have burned it into Nick's mind frame and more importantly the younger guys on the field to understand you are risking a lot for a couple hours of fun.

Same goes for Johnny Jolly.. I hope he has to sit for a little and make him rethink his choices away from the field.

Pack, I agree with you in regards to situations like this. As a Vikings fan, I am hoping that McKinnie gets some kind of suspension for his actions over the summer at the night club. It would definately hurt the team, but I think he needs to be held accountable.
TheEngineer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:38:02 PM(UTC)

Pack, I agree with you in regards to situations like this. As a Vikings fan, I am hoping that McKinnie gets some kind of suspension for his actions over the summer at the night club. It would definately hurt the team, but I think he needs to be held accountable.

Interesting take, and upon reflection, I'd have to agree with this. No individual player should be above the law, and being held accountable for one's actions is the true test of responsibility. I guess he's lucky not to have missed a game, and the Packers moreso.
zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:56:19 PM(UTC)

Agreed. Barnett is one of my favorite Packers, but Lombardi probably would have made him sit out a game, regardless of what the NFL decreed.
bozz_2006  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:00:02 PM(UTC)
I think the fine will do a good deal to convince him of the gravity of his actions. A young player sees one of his teammates lose $117,000... that's a pretty big deal to a young player.
longtimefan  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:02:47 PM(UTC)

he wasnt
Packnic  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:38:05 PM(UTC)

I agree about Jolly. But with Barnett... I believe this whole things stems from the night club incident where someone threw a drink and attacked Nick and he was fighting back. I mean Im not sure he should be suspended for defending himself, regardless of who it was against male or female.
NodakPaul  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:20:59 PM(UTC)

he wasnt

??? Sure he was. He was given a one game suspension and fine of one game check. Before the suspension could be served, he was able to appeal it with the NFL.
millertime  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:09:39 PM(UTC)

Sounds fair. If I remember correctly, someone threw a drink at Barnett and he got a little testy (as would anyone). Hopefully this shows the other guys that NFL players are held to s higher standard of behavior.

The verdict is still out on Jolly, but its not looking to good. That's a pretty serious event.
RaiderPride  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:37:54 PM(UTC)

I agree.

Infact not only should he have sat out the Vike Game. But during the Vikes game he should have had to run laps around the field with his pants around his ancles while sucking his thumb. (Like the fat Marine in the movie Full Metal Jacket.)

Teach them the Marine Corps Way.
longtimefan  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:49:12 PM(UTC)

he wasnt

??? Sure he was. He was given a one game suspension and fine of one game check. Before the suspension could be served, he was able to appeal it with the NFL.

did he miss a game?
NodakPaul  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:19:41 PM(UTC)

he wasnt

did he miss a game?

Semantics.

He was suspended. But didn't have to serve the suspension.
NodakPaul  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:21:11 PM(UTC)

Sounds fair. If I remember correctly, someone threw a drink at Barnett and he got a little testy (as would anyone). Hopefully this shows the other guys that NFL players are held to s higher standard of behavior.

The verdict is still out on Jolly, but its not looking to good. That's a pretty serious event.

Actually, he was the one doing the drink throwing.

http://sports.espn.go.co...fl/news/story?id=2907430
http://www.greenbaypress...701/PKR01/307010015/1058

Quote:
Barnett is accused of knocking drinks from the hands of two women during an argument in the nightclub Wet, 344 W. College Ave., and throwing a cell phone belonging to one of the women against the wall, damaging the phone.

In a separate alleged incident about 45 minutes later, Barnett again confronted one of the women, allegedly threw a drink in her face and knocked her to the floor. Barnett left the bar in the company of another Packers player, the complaint said.
Rss Feed