You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:49:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

http://profootballtalk.n...fered-broken-collarbone/

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Like Patriots safety Rodney Harrison seven years ago, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson won the first Super Bowl ring of his career despite leaving the game with a broken bone.

For Harrison, it was a broken forearm. For Woodson, it was a broken collarbone.

Woodson confirmed that he suffered the injury while diving to the ground late in the first half.

Hell have plenty of time to heal. And weve got a feeling it wont be hurting quite as much.

Nine years after the tuck rule game and eight years after losing to the Bucs as a member of the Raiders, Woodson has become the rare Heisman Trophy winner to play a key role in becoming a Super Bowl champion.

UPDATE: Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Woodson tried to address the team at halftime, but he became too emotional and couldnt finish.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline jdog2  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:59:44 AM(UTC)
jdog2

Applause Received: 1

I loved how he got hurt and didn't go out, he lined up ready to play before the team called a TO
blank
Offline Kingkoopa  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:00:59 AM(UTC)
Kingkoopa

Applause Received: 2

So is Charles going to wind up in the Packers ring of honor someday?
blank
Offline jdog2  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:02:28 AM(UTC)
jdog2

Applause Received: 1

So is Charles going to wind up in the Packers ring of honor someday?

I think so look at what he has done in a Packer Uni. A lot of INTs 6-8 of those run back for TDs. DPOY
blank
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:05:08 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,416
Applause Received: 1,203

I loved how he got hurt and didn't go out, he lined up ready to play before the team called a TO

He actually did stay in for the play after the TO. But just couldn't go and came out on the following play.
I thought it was broken when I saw how he held his arm as he ran into the locker room.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline istanbulpacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:11:01 AM(UTC)
istanbulpacker

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

No doubt, when the first half ended and Woody, Driver, et al were early to the locker room I texted my family saying I was not excited about the 2nd half and all the injuries. However, I looked at my friend and fellow Wisconsinite and said "We know injuries, we'll make it through this. Offense has to step up."

Well, I would say the Defense stepped up despite the injuries. Props to all.... God Bless the Green Bay Packers!!!!!!!!!!
blank
Offline spicnspan320  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:14:32 AM(UTC)
spicnspan320

Applause Given: 1

Hope he gets better soon and wish him a great offseason. I'm so glad he got his ring
blank
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:19:32 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 480
Applause Received: 225

It looked grim when he left the field but he is a key Green Bay Packer and he finally got a ring.
Nice piece of work Charles and I'm happy for you despite the injury..
One more year Please.
Offline coltonja  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:34:21 AM(UTC)
coltonja

Applause Given: 52
Applause Received: 29

I love the heart shown from Woody and who knows how much he inspired our D to step up. Glad Shields got back into the game even though he got burned. Wish both Woody and Driver could have played more in their big game, but they deserve this win nonetheless. What a high character team we are so blessed to have!!
UserPostedImage

Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Offline porky88  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:35:34 AM(UTC)
porky88

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

Broken bone or not, he's a world champ! What Woodson meant to this team as a leader was just as important as his play on the field. When those guys saw him emotional, I bet they that inspired them to finish or put the stamp on the game.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:36:28 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

After the trials and tribulations of this season, there's a certain ironic appropriateness to the way two of our older veterans who most desperately wanted that ring -- Woodson and Driver -- both ended up on the sidelines in tears.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:38:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,416
Applause Received: 1,203

It is amazing what this guy has gone thru. he is a warrior.

SI.com wrote:
Without pushing the product or making even a single pitch, Charles Woodson has become the ideal spokesman for a venture commissioner Roger Goodell forbids him from talking about: TwentyFour by Charles Woodson, the Napa Valley wine label that the cornerback-turned-entrepreneur introduced in 2008. For NFL players, endorsing alcohol is a no-no. But Woodson, the 13-year veteran in search of his first Super Bowl ring, is proof that some NFL players, like fine wine, improve with time.

Woodson's dominance defies conventional wisdom on cornerbacks, who make a living by backpedaling two steps faster than receivers can run forward. At a geriatric 34, he's playing as well he did in the prime of his careerarguably better. Swirl this around like a fine cabernet: One season after intercepting a career-high nine passes and being named the '09 Defensive Player of the Year (over the then 24-year-old Darrelle Revis), the 1997 Heisman Trophy winner morphed into a pseudo-linebacker in Green Bay's bruising 3--4 scheme, amassing 76 tackles and forcing five fumbles, both career highs. In his five years with the Pack, Woodson has pulled down nearly twice as many picks (30) as he had in eight distinguished seasons with the Raiders (17). "In this league they bring in younger guys all the time to either replace you or beat you," Woodson says. "For me just to stick around, I have to get better every year."

Woodson is the cornerstone of a secondary that allowed eight fewer touchdowns (16) than it had interceptions (24) this season, the league's best differential and perhaps the Packers' key to victory in Super Bowl XLV. The Steelers are often portrayed as a ground-and-pound offense, but in Super Bowls XL and XLIII, Pittsburgh hoisted the Lombardi Trophy behind MVP performances from wide receivers. Don't assume Ben Roethlisberger & Co. will be able to exploit the Packers in the same way. "The level at which we play, the speed with which we play," Woodson says, "there's not a weakness in our secondary."

Credit Woodson with molding the Packers' young talent through countless hours of film study and infusing in them an unwavering confidence. For Green Bay there was no greater concern coming into the season than the secondary, which Kurt Warner shredded for 379 yards and five touchdowns in last year's NFC wild-card round. Three weeks earlier Roethlisberger had thrown for 503 yards on the Pack, the 10th 500-yard game in NFL history. The difference this year? The emergence of fifth-year corner Tramon Williams (six picks, plus three in the postseason) and rookie Sam Shields (two picks, plus two more against Chicago in the NFC title game), which enabled Woodson to patrol closer to the line of scrimmage, blitz more often, spy QBs and line up at corner, safety, nickelback and even linebackerthe perfect threat to keep Roethlisberger's head on a swivel come Sunday. And in the second year under defensive coordinator Dom Capers, the secondary never allowed more than two touchdowns in a single game; all but one opponent was held to fewer than 27 points. "A large part of it has to do with the development of the young guys," Woodson says. "I haven't lost a step. I'm able to adapt. I'm playing this way so we can get our best guys on the field."

Just how baby-faced are Woodson's sidekicks? When Shields was 12 he unwrapped Woodson's number 24 Raiders jersey on Christmas morning and "cried because I was so happy." In high school and college Williams had Woodson's poster taped up in his locker. Now they're blossoming into stars under the tutelage of an idol whom they affectionately call "Old Otis"a nod to the overzealous gray-haired security guard from the sitcom Martin. "He's the wise one, and the young hungry guys are falling in line behind the leader," says safety Nick Collins, 27, himself a three-time Pro Bowl pick. "That's why we've been so successful this year."

Of all the things they've learned from Woodsonhow to break down film, how to anticipate where the ball will be thrown based on field position, formation, personnel and receiver splitsthey know this best: The sum of his accolades hardly compares to his desire for a ring. "It would really validate my career," says Woodson, who came up short in his only other appearance, the Raiders' 48--21 loss to Tampa Bay in Super Bowl XXXVII.

And what would a ring mean to Woodson's legacy? Deion Sanders and Ty Law have five Super Bowl titles between them. Sanders went to eight Pro Bowls, one more than Woodson; Law two fewer. Their names belong in a debate that Woodson feels he should be a part of. "My last few years in Oakland, I could play great and nobody would really care," he says. "Your name is left out of the conversation of best ever because your team is terrible."

New team, new role. Can one win change the discussion? Does he already belong?

"He's not slowing down at all," Williams says. "He's getting better and better with age." For connoisseurs of Packers football, there's no finer wine.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:44:44 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

After the trials and tribulations of this season, there's a certain ironic appropriateness to the way two of our older veterans who most desperately wanted that ring -- Woodson and Driver -- both ended up on the sidelines in tears.

Most importantly, they stepped on the field and contributed. Driver was rallying up the fans after he came out of the game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:46:35 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

Yes, Driver never changed into street clothes. I was impressed by that.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:06:28 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Not only is Woodson a complete player, he is a LEADER. Not to beat a dead Bear or anything, but unlike Cutler or other players that sulk on the sidelines, Woodson was emotional and contributed to the team in any way he could. He was still a leader, just on the sidelines.

Class act, I hope he retires a Packer. He may have spent more time in Oakland but he's been instrumental to the success of this team.
UserPostedImage