Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bozz_2006  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:42:05 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

my point is that there is no such thing as a predetermined expectation. each player is an individual, and needs to be treated as such.
UserPostedImage
Offline millertime  
#32 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:14:18 PM(UTC)
millertime

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 6

At the time, I wanted Leon Hall or Dwayne Bowe. But with the Williams trade, I'm glad we took Harrell, he's def. been better than the next highest ranking DT, Alan Branch. I give him a break for his rookie year. He'll need to step up this year in the absence of Williams and if/when Jolly get suspended.
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline pack_in_black  
#33 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:10:19 PM(UTC)
pack_in_black

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 2

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick, and he's had three years of no contributions, yet we're giving him more time.

Justin Harrell didn't have Brett Lorenzo Favre starting in front of him.

The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.

Just to play Devil's advocate, Harrell did have Jolly, Pickett, Cole, and Williams starting in front of him. And AJ started his first year for a team that was coming off a 4-12 season.

Harrell's was coming off a 8-8 season.
UserPostedImage

Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
Offline zombieslayer  
#34 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:03:31 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Just to play Devil's advocate, Harrell did have Jolly, Pickett, Cole, and Williams starting in front of him. And AJ started his first year for a team that was coming off a 4-12 season.

Harrell's was coming off a 8-8 season.

True dat. Good argument.

However, now we need him healthy. I was very much against getting rid of Corey Williams. That guy is solid. Now he's gone and Harrell's hurt again.

The other thing is, in GB, we use all our DTs. We rotate them all in, making sure we keep them fresh for 4 quarters of football. His not contributing is hurting the rotation. So I'm sticking to "heading towards bust status" until he proves me wrong.

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, starts getting 7 1/2 sacks from the middle every year and clogs the middle and becomes a perennial Pro Bowler. As it's looking though, he may spend more of his career on the bench than on the field unfortunately.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline dhpackr  
#35 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:57:28 PM(UTC)
dhpackr

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

WhenTed Thompsondrafted Harrell he had the chance to trade down to Clevland's second, which wasn't too much lower, and then pick up Clevland's first this year. Harell is a bust so far, we may have been able to get him with that second rd pick, and we could have gotten Rashard Mendenhall(or whoever) this year's with the first. But that's all hindsight.

What seems to contradict TT's value of drafts choice is that he didn't make the trade to pick up an extra pick that was also a high pick. Especially being in a building mode.

I wish we would have made that trade. What really hurts is the Cowgirls did. This has been on my mind since then and I'm just curious what others would have done. What do you think?

I wish Ted Thompson drafted Greg Olsen instead of Harrell
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Online Zero2Cool  
#36 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:20:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

I wish Ted Thompson drafted Greg Olsen instead of Harrell

I'm starting to think that too, but I'll give Harrell another half season or so before I jump ship.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#37 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:37:01 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I wishTed Thompsondrafted Greg Olsen instead of Harrell

I do too. That would have made more sense.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline bozz_2006  
#38 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:49:50 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

if we'd have drafted olsen, i doubt we'd have drafted jermichael finley this year. he won't get much, if any, playing time until he learns how to block, but he's only 21, so he has time to learn. plus, he is a freak as a receiving TE. I am so excited to see what he can contribute once he develops a bit. he's gonna be a stud, i think. and if we drafted olsen, who is just ok IMO, we'd not have taken finley.
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:52:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

off topic a bit, but Jermichael Finley is a stud on Madden '09 lol
UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#40 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:58:11 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.

The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.

Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline longtimefan  
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.

Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.

Just to verify the fact Denver wanted Justin

linkyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote:
Denver wanted Harrell
The Denver Broncos, the upcoming opponent for the Packers on Monday, picked one choice after Green Bay during this past year's NFL draft. If the Packers hadn't already taken Justin Harrell, the Broncos may have done so.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call with reporters according to PackersNews.com. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So should we give Harrell a break and not call him a bust just yet?

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about."
Offline arrowgargantuan  
#42 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:40:07 AM(UTC)
arrowgargantuan

A little early to label him a bust?

Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.

^^^pretty much how i feel here.

i personally think he won't amount to much. i hope i'm wrong.
Online Zero2Cool  
#43 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#44 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 71
Applause Received: 86

Denver was going to jump on harrell ( they picked 17th and Packers picked 16th ) and I have a feelingTed Thompsonknew that

You do what you needed to do AT THE TIME...

now does it look stupid? Possibly...

But at the time he was a projected top ten pick.....He had an injury that should have been a non issue after a few months.

No one knew he would injury him self this past year playing Wii.

He Got Hurt Playing WII ??!!?!?!?! :microwave: im sorry thats jst hilarious

"Thats not very manly."

-Larry McCarren
Offline dfosterf  
#45 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 416

I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.

There is a positive aspect to Justin Harrell being hurt again this year, at least so far. I read that the last practice the Pack had like 200 people in attendance vs. the historic 1000+. In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred for Ted Thompson and unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Rss Feed