Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:23:54 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

http://sportsillustrated...index.html#ixzz1EhJqSGwN

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ran into Lions PR man Bill Keenist leaving Dallas Monday, and he made this point: If not for the late-game ridiculousness in games of Dec. 19 in New Jersey and Tampa, the Packers would not be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy today.

Keenist is right. Green Bay finished 10-6, the last Wild Card team and sixth seed in the NFC, by virtue of winning tiebreakers with the 10-6 Giants and 10-6 Bucs. We all know the Giants story: Up 31-10 over Philly at home with eight minutes left in the game, the Giants gave up 28 points in the last half of the fourth quarter and lost 38-31. The killer was punter Matt Dodge blowing the game and keeping a punt to DeSean Jackson inbounds with 14 seconds left in a 31-all game. Jackson returned it 65 yards for a touchdown. Who knows what would have happened if that game went to overtime, but that'll stay a mystery.

The Detroit game, in many ways, was more painful because of who the Lions are. They hadn't won a road game in three years. They were in Tampa, trailing by a field goal with two minutes left, playing third-string quarterback Drew Stanton. He led a field-goal drive to tie it. The Lions won the toss in overtime. Stanton led another long drive to win it in overtime.

Dave Rayner kicked the tying and winning field goals that afternoon in Tampa Bay. He was Green Bay's kicker in 2006, the one fired to make way for new Super Bowl champion Mason Crosby.

Without the ex-Packer to help the current Packers, Green Bay's players would be in the fifth week of their offseason today, not getting confetti and love and cheers showed on them in Lambeau Field. Football is a funny game sometimes.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:58:53 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

ya its freaking unbelievable ... alls I know is that before the giants game the bookies gave great odds for a GB SB win ... ya I didnt take em (missed it last year so errr) ... but after the week 17 win and the WC win over the eagles I jumped on some digits ...
Offline djcubez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:49:07 PM(UTC)
djcubez

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

If Mason Crosby doesn't miss that kick against the Redskins we win that game.

If Rodgers doesn't get concussed in the Lions game we (probably) would win that game.

If Rodgers plays in the Patriots game we'd have a better chance at winning that game.

If Rodgers doesn't fumble the ball in the end zone against the Falcons we probably win that game.

If we don't let a lineman romp 71 yards against us in the Patriots game we have a better chance at winning that game.

If Devin Hester doesn't run back that punt for a touchdown we probably win that game.

See? I can play that game too.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:31:18 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I think this article is wrong. if giants win then eagles don't get in.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:43:37 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 248

...and Bill Kennist....

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.
UserPostedImage
Offline djcubez  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:13:39 PM(UTC)
djcubez

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

We owned head-to-head's against both the Eagles and Giants. However, the Eagles did lose two games after beating the Giants so there could have been a chance of both of them making it.

I just think it's a bit stupid to argue hypotheticals in hindsight.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 4:08:35 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

We owned head-to-head's against both the Eagles and Giants. However, the Eagles did lose two games after beating the Giants so there could have been a chance of both of them making it.

I just think it's a bit stupid to argue hypotheticals in hindsight.

It is stupid, but I still think the article is wrong, lol.

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

I think that means if both Giants and Eagles made it, only one of them would have gotten in?

If Tampa Bay beat the Lions, then the game against the @Saints would have meant a lot to the Saints because they'd have to win to get in. I don't remember if they kept starters in or not, but I believe they had their spot locked in the playoffs.

Hell if I know ... the only team I'm thanking is the Green Bay Packers and I think this is just a way for Peter King to slight the Packers accomplishment. Yes, I'm being petty about it. I don't get any other angle other than he was told to pump out a story an he lacks creativity, which I know he doesn't.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 10:50:46 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

King's a good writer for the most part, but he often lapses into this kind of garbage. I view it less as slighting the Packers' accomplishment than as a statement about how various teams' fates are intertwined in the NFL. Pretty mundane stuff, really. I was only mildly irritated by it.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 11:54:33 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Personally... it proves just how close the margin is in this league to winning it all and sitting an watching another team win it.

That isn't anything new.. just a very solid illustration of that point, IMO.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 1:04:08 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Personally... it proves just how close the margin is in this league to winning it all and sitting an watching another team win it.

that about sums it up - we were that close to having our offseason chatter 1 month earlier. IMO we all knew we were a much better team then most of the other NFL teams.

Simple as this - we had our opportunity and our players/coaches did not let us down. They rose to the challenge and IMO like I talked about all during the preseason. Its the heart of this team - its that that won us the championship.
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 2:41:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,030
Applause Received: 1,467

Yeah this is just more BS. I posted most of the things cubez said awhile back after someone said GB backed into the playoffs.

I added the Miami game. If the official would have gotten the call right and not thrown the flag on Johnson for being lined up over center when he was clearly more than a yard back they would not have lost that game either.

I really don't mind it when the games that went in favor of GB are pointed out as long as they point out the ones what went against GB too.

UserPostedImage

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 3:11:03 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 112

The problem with this article is it lacks all the gifts which were given to Chicago to win the division starting with the joke win against Detroit. I still don't know why somebody with possession of the ball over the goal line has to not lose control of it going down. It is dfferent rules for WRs than RBs in my opinion.

Nobody had a horseshoe like the Bears this year.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 3:41:05 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

How is it solid? It's not even accurate. You can't change one outcome without having a domino effect. Surely you remember playing and how winning and losing effected you, your team and how your coaches coached.

The article is 'un' solid and comes off whimsical in my view. ;)

A thorough article would have outlined the what if's for the Packers as well. This just points out that basically the Packers were 'lucky'. I strongly disagree, the game is of inches, everyone knows this and the Packers have lost by inches and won by inches.

He's only looking at one side of the coin, and only glancing at it.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 3:46:54 PM(UTC)
Dulak

The problem with this article is it lacks all the gifts which were given to Chicago to win the division starting with the joke win against Detroit. I still don't know why somebody with possession of the ball over the goal line has to not lose control of it going down. It is dfferent rules for WRs than RBs in my opinion.

Nobody had a horseshoe like the Bears this year.

That always stumps me too ... so a guy can run in like rodgers or a rb and alls he has to do is be 1 cm over the line and its a TD; but a dude catching the ball has to hold onto it even when he is drilled and he cant let go of it even if he is hit by a mack truck.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 4:07:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Exactly, the Bears had how many injuries, home field advantage (-Falcons) and how'd that work for them? Not to mention the Lions game as just mentioned above.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed