Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline longtimefan  
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.



Just to verify the fact Denver wanted Justin


linkyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote:
Denver wanted Harrell
The Denver Broncos, the upcoming opponent for the Packers on Monday, picked one choice after Green Bay during this past year's NFL draft. If the Packers hadn't already taken Justin Harrell, the Broncos may have done so.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call with reporters according to PackersNews.com. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So should we give Harrell a break and not call him a bust just yet?

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about."
Offline arrowgargantuan  
#42 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:40:07 AM(UTC)
Rank: Rookie

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 2
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
A little early to label him a bust?


Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.


^^^pretty much how i feel here.

i personally think he won't amount to much. i hope i'm wrong.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#43 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11:33 AM(UTC)
Rank: Premier Member

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI
Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 3,473
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.
Online IronMan  
#44 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 134
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Denver was going to jump on harrell ( they picked 17th and Packers picked 16th ) and I have a feelingTed Thompsonknew that

You do what you needed to do AT THE TIME...

now does it look stupid? Possibly...

But at the time he was a projected top ten pick.....He had an injury that should have been a non issue after a few months.

No one knew he would injury him self this past year playing Wii.


He Got Hurt Playing WII ??!!?!?!?! :microwave: im sorry thats jst hilarious

"Thats not very manly."

-Larry McCarren
Offline dfosterf  
#45 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.


There is a positive aspect to Justin Harrell being hurt again this year, at least so far. I read that the last practice the Pack had like 200 people in attendance vs. the historic 1000+. In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred for Ted Thompson and unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:
Offline zombieslayer  
#46 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:10:34 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.


Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.
Offline zombieslayer  
#47 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:13:24 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred of Ted Thompson and love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#48 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:18:31 PM(UTC)
Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 23
Applause Received: 142
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:
Offline zombieslayer  
#49 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:36:46 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:


Oh, no prob. I just talk a lot so you probably confused what I said somewhere with something else.

As for Wii, I'm still waiting for the first Wii death, then uber-lawsuit, Congressional hearing, Mothers Against Wii groups, etc. You know it's coming. It's just a matter of time.
Offline dfosterf  
#50 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 5:12:10 PM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred ofTed Thompsonand love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
I happen to agree with you as regards the mistake. I think it was a difficult decision regarding C Williams, especially in light of Johnny Jolly being injured and Justin being... well... not being, yet. I was attempting to interject some semi-self effacing humor into a discussion, but shall instead watch my lead balloon pass beneath my feet.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
5 Pages«<345
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Fan Shout
IronMan (9h): seriously. Waffle House
IronMan (9h): Waffle House!
Mucky Tundra (20h): In unrelated news, a six figure sum was wired to Dr James Andrews bank account in the Cayman Islands
Zero2Cool (20h): Dr. James Andrews, who examined Myles Jack in December, told the UCLA LB today that he does not need micro-fracture surgery.
wpr (21h): 64321 is still available
Mucky Tundra (21h): thanks wpr, now i have to change it :(
wpr (22h): Right. Mucky is 12346. Big difference.
Mucky Tundra (22h): because i'm smarter than he is ;)
Zero2Cool (23h): 12345 didn't fare well for Tunsil, what makes you think it will for you?
Mucky Tundra (29-Apr): I don't want to reset my password
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): First round is over. Reset your passwords.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): Thompson on Clark: We thought he was the best player available.
IronMan (28-Apr): Brady won his appeal. no suspension.
Yerko (28-Apr): Happy Draft Day everyone!
Pack93z (28-Apr): Buckeye players that is... speaking of that, anyone see Buckeye around?
Pack93z (28-Apr): You certainly can have enough Buckeyes.... and 1 is probably too many. lol.
Zero2Cool (27-Apr): draft chat party tomorrow boys/girls welcome come all
wpr (27-Apr): Hawk is a FA
IronMan (27-Apr): AJ Hawk is still in the NFL?
FLORIDA PACKER88 (27-Apr): You can Never have Enough Buckeyes! Lets sign Lil animal Laurinitis and Hawk and put em both in the middle! ;)
wpr (26-Apr): 48 hrs until Christmas!
Zero2Cool (26-Apr): We have one too many Buckeye on the team already!!
Porforis (26-Apr): AJ Hawk released. Lol if the packers picked him up, would make for some spirited debate
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): Tom Brady re-suspended for four games. Boring.
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): and next year it'll take 24 seconds to do 2017 ;-)
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): 2016 NFL Pick'em schedule ... done!
IronMan (25-Apr): ball for 14 seconds and doesn't even get a shot off. lol
IronMan (25-Apr): So the Hawks call a TO with 15 seconds left, the coach scribbles some play down on the board. They inbound it to Teague and he holds the bal
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): Scores for every season matchup dating back to 2012 ... done!
wpr (23-Apr): Smokey I posted something a day or so ago that it is 10 + mil
Smokey (23-Apr): How much CAP money is left in the Packers acct. ?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr): ;-) until tomorrow folks
Zero2Cool (21-Apr): Always surprised how deep his non-singing voice was and also how high pitched he sang.
Pack93z (21-Apr): Purple Rain is one of my favorite album's all time... played the crap out of it as a youth.
Pack93z (21-Apr): Wow... The Prince new... just wow... different cat, great artist
Please sign in to use Fan Shout

Current Headlines

2016 Opponents
Sunday, Sep 11 @ 12:00 PM
at Jaguars
Sunday, Sep 18 @ 7:30 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Sep 25 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 2 @ 12:00 AM
BYE
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 7:30 PM
GIANTS
Sunday, Oct 16 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Thursday, Oct 20 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 30 @ 12:00 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Nov 6 @ 3:25 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Nov 13 @ 12:00 PM
at Titans
Sunday, Nov 20 @ 7:30 PM
at Redskins
Monday, Nov 28 @ 7:30 PM
at Eagles
Sunday, Dec 4 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Dec 11 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Dec 18 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Saturday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 1 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions

Think About It
Think About It

Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / millertime

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey


Tweeter