Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline longtimefan  
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.



Just to verify the fact Denver wanted Justin


linkyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote:
Denver wanted Harrell
The Denver Broncos, the upcoming opponent for the Packers on Monday, picked one choice after Green Bay during this past year's NFL draft. If the Packers hadn't already taken Justin Harrell, the Broncos may have done so.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call with reporters according to PackersNews.com. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So should we give Harrell a break and not call him a bust just yet?

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about."
Offline arrowgargantuan  
#42 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:40:07 AM(UTC)
Rank: Rookie

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 2
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
A little early to label him a bust?


Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.


^^^pretty much how i feel here.

i personally think he won't amount to much. i hope i'm wrong.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#43 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11:33 AM(UTC)
Rank: Premier Member

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI
Applause Given: 2,312
Applause Received: 3,560
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.
Offline IronMan  
#44 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 138
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Denver was going to jump on harrell ( they picked 17th and Packers picked 16th ) and I have a feelingTed Thompsonknew that

You do what you needed to do AT THE TIME...

now does it look stupid? Possibly...

But at the time he was a projected top ten pick.....He had an injury that should have been a non issue after a few months.

No one knew he would injury him self this past year playing Wii.


He Got Hurt Playing WII ??!!?!?!?! :microwave: im sorry thats jst hilarious

"Thats not very manly."

-Larry McCarren
Offline dfosterf  
#45 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.


There is a positive aspect to Justin Harrell being hurt again this year, at least so far. I read that the last practice the Pack had like 200 people in attendance vs. the historic 1000+. In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred for Ted Thompson and unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:
Offline zombieslayer  
#46 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:10:34 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.


Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.
Offline zombieslayer  
#47 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:13:24 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred of Ted Thompson and love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#48 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:18:31 PM(UTC)
Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 23
Applause Received: 142
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:
Offline zombieslayer  
#49 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:36:46 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:


Oh, no prob. I just talk a lot so you probably confused what I said somewhere with something else.

As for Wii, I'm still waiting for the first Wii death, then uber-lawsuit, Congressional hearing, Mothers Against Wii groups, etc. You know it's coming. It's just a matter of time.
Offline dfosterf  
#50 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 5:12:10 PM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred ofTed Thompsonand love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
I happen to agree with you as regards the mistake. I think it was a difficult decision regarding C Williams, especially in light of Johnny Jolly being injured and Justin being... well... not being, yet. I was attempting to interject some semi-self effacing humor into a discussion, but shall instead watch my lead balloon pass beneath my feet.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
5 Pages«<345
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24-Jun): ;-)
Zero2Cool (24-Jun): Because reading and wondering "typo or bullshit abbreviation" is fucking awesome!!
Zero2Cool (24-Jun): I think we should all use a shit load of abbreviations to infuriate readers.
Wade (23-Jun): Thuji the Magnificent lhasa apso, 17 lbs, and a bit over 4 y.o.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun): Hmm, that speed "fix" didn't seem to work. ;-)
Porforis (22-Jun): My 62-pound German Shepard/Husky/Doberman mix turned 1 yesterday.
yooperfan (21-Jun): I have a Wire haired Pointing Griffon. Fabulous dog. 75 pounds.
yooperfan (21-Jun): Thanks guys.
wpr (21-Jun): Congrats Yoop. I'm still a couple of years away.
Laser Gunns (20-Jun): thinking about getting a puppy since my bro is leaving. Anyone recommend a breed? Bigger dog preferred :D
Cheesey (20-Jun): congrats Yoop!
yooperfan (20-Jun): Yesterday was my 1st Fathers Day as a grandfather!
buckeyepackfan (20-Jun): Not a huge BB fan but. CAVS WIN! CAVS WIN! CAVS WIN!
wpr (19-Jun): Happy Fathers Day to you all.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun): Happy Father's Day fellas
wpr (17-Jun): You can get a nice deal on Shark's gear.
wpr (17-Jun): The major sports leagues always gouge on championship goods.
Zero2Cool (16-Jun): That's a bit pricey. I won't even pay that for a Packers hat lol
dhazer (16-Jun): $30
Zero2Cool (13-Jun): Definitely. How much it cost!??
dhazer (13-Jun): Kevin you want me to grab you a championship hat?
Smokey (8-Jun): No Dairy ! ?
TheKanataThrilla (8-Jun): Rodgers on a vegan diet...with red meat and chicken. OK, but no dairy.
Cheesey (7-Jun): I went to the Favre charity softball game many years ago. It was a lot of fun! ENJOY IT!
wpr (5-Jun): Ali was the GOAT
Smokey (4-Jun): RIP Mohammad Ali
wpr (4-Jun): Nope. Have a great time gbguy.
gbguy20 (4-Jun): Anyone ever been to the jordy nelson charity softball event? Got tickets from my boss.
Porforis (3-Jun): I abstain because hockey.
Zero2Cool (3-Jun): Penguins 2, Sharks 0. What up!!!
Cheesey (2-Jun): I don't know...in a shark VS. a penguin, the penguin ends up being a snack.
Zero2Cool (2-Jun): Damn. That's right! Ugh! Me = powerless!!!!
wpr (2-Jun): Not if Craig, Shawn or I don't think so. Bahahaha
Zero2Cool (2-Jun): You better be rooting for Penguins > Sharks or you get banned!! Bahahahaha
Zero2Cool (2-Jun): NHL Stanley Cup Finals. They are up 2 - 0 over the San Jose Sharks.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout

Current Headlines

Road To Super Bowl LI
Sunday, Sep 11 @ 12:00 PM
at Jaguars
Sunday, Sep 18 @ 7:30 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Sep 25 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 2 @ 12:00 AM
BYE
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 7:30 PM
GIANTS
Sunday, Oct 16 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Thursday, Oct 20 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 30 @ 12:00 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Nov 6 @ 3:25 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Nov 13 @ 12:00 PM
at Titans
Sunday, Nov 20 @ 7:30 PM
at Redskins
Monday, Nov 28 @ 7:30 PM
at Eagles
Sunday, Dec 4 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Dec 11 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Dec 18 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Saturday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 1 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions

Think About It
Think About It

Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / RaiderPride

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

25-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Barfarn

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

22-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

17-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

17-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules


Tweeter