Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
longtimefan  
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.



Just to verify the fact Denver wanted Justin


linkyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote:
Denver wanted Harrell
The Denver Broncos, the upcoming opponent for the Packers on Monday, picked one choice after Green Bay during this past year's NFL draft. If the Packers hadn't already taken Justin Harrell, the Broncos may have done so.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call with reporters according to PackersNews.com. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So should we give Harrell a break and not call him a bust just yet?

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about."
arrowgargantuan  
#42 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:40:07 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
A little early to label him a bust?


Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.


^^^pretty much how i feel here.

i personally think he won't amount to much. i hope i'm wrong.
Zero2Cool  
#43 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11:33 AM(UTC)
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.
IronMan  
#44 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Denver was going to jump on harrell ( they picked 17th and Packers picked 16th ) and I have a feelingTed Thompsonknew that

You do what you needed to do AT THE TIME...

now does it look stupid? Possibly...

But at the time he was a projected top ten pick.....He had an injury that should have been a non issue after a few months.

No one knew he would injury him self this past year playing Wii.


He Got Hurt Playing WII ??!!?!?!?! :microwave: im sorry thats jst hilarious

"Thats not very manly."

-Larry McCarren
dfosterf  
#45 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.


There is a positive aspect to Justin Harrell being hurt again this year, at least so far. I read that the last practice the Pack had like 200 people in attendance vs. the historic 1000+. In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred for Ted Thompson and unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:
zombieslayer  
#46 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:10:34 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.


Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.
zombieslayer  
#47 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:13:24 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred of Ted Thompson and love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
all_about_da_packers  
#48 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:18:31 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:
zombieslayer  
#49 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:36:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:


Oh, no prob. I just talk a lot so you probably confused what I said somewhere with something else.

As for Wii, I'm still waiting for the first Wii death, then uber-lawsuit, Congressional hearing, Mothers Against Wii groups, etc. You know it's coming. It's just a matter of time.
dfosterf  
#50 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 5:12:10 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred ofTed Thompsonand love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
I happen to agree with you as regards the mistake. I think it was a difficult decision regarding C Williams, especially in light of Johnny Jolly being injured and Justin being... well... not being, yet. I was attempting to interject some semi-self effacing humor into a discussion, but shall instead watch my lead balloon pass beneath my feet.
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
uffda udfa (11h) : Per Schefter: Former Skins DT Ricky Jean Francois signed a one-year, $3M deal with Packers, per source.
uffda udfa (11h) : Per Schefter: FormerSkins DT Ricky Jean Francois signed a one-year, $3M deal with Packers, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : lol by .01 not what i thought
Zero2Cool (17h) : he's faster than Montgomery
uffda udfa (22-Mar) : Packers re-sign Christine Michael
Smokey (22-Mar) : Easier said than fixed .
Nonstopdrivel (22-Mar) : The web version lists who started the thread; the mobile version lists who last updated it.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Mar) : Also, there's a weird disparity between the web version and online version of this site.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Mar) : ;-)
Zero2Cool (21-Mar) : Packers wanted D. Ware in 2005. Thank you Cowboys!
Zero2Cool (21-Mar) : lol Rourke
Nonstopdrivel (21-Mar) : I HATE HATE HATE the way all threads get marked as read after viewing a few of them in one session. It's obnoxious.
Smokey (21-Mar) : Check out this site, NFLdraftscout.com , a great resource site.
Smokey (20-Mar) : Jared Cook signs with Raiders .
Smokey (20-Mar) : I did watch SB 45 on YouTube the other night, very eye opening .
Smokey (20-Mar) : Watching Spring Training Baseball, Nationals vs Yankees, very interesting .
Zero2Cool (19-Mar) : B1G making some noise in that bracket
Zero2Cool (19-Mar) : The more join, the more talk, the better. including John
Zero2Cool (19-Mar) : no forum should need one person, we have others, speak up!
gbguy20 (19-Mar) : slow forum needs more uffda
Smokey (19-Mar) : There's always next year .
Smokey (18-Mar) : Virginia is still in it !
Smokey (18-Mar) : On Wisconsin
Zero2Cool (18-Mar) : Down goes Villanova!! Badgers!!!
Zero2Cool (18-Mar) : Might have went into your SPAM or JUNK folder??
yooperfan (18-Mar) : Funny I never got the invite
wpr (17-Mar) : Ignoring the Signing Bonus, Jones' base is only $725K above the vet min
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Not many seem interested, but I did invite those from last year.
dhazer (16-Mar) : no bracket challenge Kevin?
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Blame twitter on the /home page here lol
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Datone Jones Vikings deal $3.75M, $1.6M signing bonus, $1.5M salary, $31,250 per game active, $150K workout bonus, $1.25M sacks-pt incentive
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Nope. I don't care to read up on Vikings players. :-)
Bnoble (15-Mar) : Anyone see any numbers on Jones deal?
uffda udfa (14-Mar) : Datone to Minnesota.
musccy (14-Mar) : A more $ than I'd prefer, but still glad Elliott is back
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2016 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 11 @ 12:00 PM
at Jaguars
Sunday, Sep 18 @ 7:30 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Sep 25 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 2 @ 12:00 AM
BYE
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 7:30 PM
GIANTS
Sunday, Oct 16 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Thursday, Oct 20 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 30 @ 3:25 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Nov 6 @ 3:25 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Nov 13 @ 12:00 PM
at Titans
Sunday, Nov 20 @ 7:30 PM
at Redskins
Monday, Nov 28 @ 7:30 PM
at Eagles
Sunday, Dec 4 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Dec 11 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Dec 18 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Saturday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 1 @ 7:30 PM
at Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

17h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Fantasy Sports Talk / wpr

23-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23-Mar / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbguy20

17-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

17-Mar / Around The NFL / Smokey

17-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbguy20

Headlines