Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:12:09 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Lay it out there, you won't hurt my feelings because I'm sure you all know the was little to no saving the other site for long term and thus without this site, we'd have nothing.

The site's no where near being done, but none the less, I'm serious when I say I want to know how you all feel about the site. If you love it, hate it, what it needs, what it doesn't need, etc.

I know I have my own personal bitches, I want to hear yours. The majority of mine are in the works of being patched out.

Message modified by user Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:14:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:15:34 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

So you don't want us doing the separate "Forums > Problem" threads any more?

Anyway, my bitch right now is...

I can't figure out the rules for when the PH logo at the left is greyed out and when it is bright. It seems as if when I read one thread and go back to the index page, all the other unread threads are now greyed out.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:35:38 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
So you don't want us doing the separate "Forums > Problem" threads any more?

Anyway, my bitch right now is...

I can't figure out the rules for when the PH logo at the left is greyed out and when it is bright. It seems as if when I read one thread and go back to the index page, all the other unread threads are now greyed out.

Nope, I'll put them in to categories.

The new post icon stuff is pretty annoying. It's to be fixed in the next release, supposedly.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:55:34 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

DarkaneRules wrote:
Hey

the area that is white needs a background that has opacity of a slightly transparent overlay so that it gives the whole page more flavor, but the opacity will make sure it doesn't appear to busy or chaotic

adam

I'm not sure what this means, but I do agree the white is too much. I don't know that I want the site as dark as the previous one. That kind of worn my eyes a little.

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:17:59 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 252

more green...
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:15:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

My Comments.

I'll be working on a dark theme as this one fullfills my moderate goal for a light theme.

I don't like there being two profiles, one for site, one for forums, however, it's a necessary evil. DotNetNuke has its own forums, but they are not mature in development. If DNN 6 has the good forums integrated in its released, we'll look into converting the YAF forums into the DNN flavor. I doubt that will happen since the YAF forums are one of the best out there and their support is really good.

I do not like the new post icon behavior. If you click the forum category and click each thread, the icon works as expected. If you access the forum category via the quick link or the little icon's to the right of the last post user name, they do not behave properly. This is supposed to be fixed, or is fixable. I've seen it on other YAF forums that work as expected.

The forums signature box is not positioned level with the user information box. I don't like that. <-- was just told I'm not the first to bemoan about this and it's fixed in the next release 1.9.5.6

When making/editing a post, sometimes you lose everything. I've started copying everything I post just in case, lol.

I like the flow of the site and how it's structured,
the admin panel is fantastic,
I really like both the thumb up/down feature and the Thank feature,
the banning of users is really nice you can even suspend someone for X hours or from a specific forum,
its written in a language I'm familiar with (C# and ASP),
installing modules/extensions/skins is extremely easy.

Overall, the site is really great and with having the source code and it being in a language I'm knowledgeable leaves expandability virtually limitless. I just need to get familiar with the nuts and bolts of everything and then I can start tinkering.

I'll probably start working on a dark theme this weekend, or the next.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:07:20 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

Compiling right now.. a few comments.

<Likes>

• Layout
  • Expanded Post Editor Features
  • Album's (Although not friendly to link from)
  • Like the lighter theme.. has a cleaner look.. although I think we could spruce up from of the backsplashes with some PH logos or other water marked images.
  • Like the fact that the screen focus sticks even if a large image is posted
  • Love the fact that it is very easy to look at a posters last posts..
  • Love the edit notification concept, even if the dialog within needs improvement
  • Like the latest posts listing at the bottom of the page.
  • Because I have control "freak" tendencies, lol.. or I am just plain nosy, I like the fact that you can see where others are at.. albeit again that needs some tweaking from YAF perspective.
  • I like the idea that the platform can be expanded upon, updated and YAF will probably introduce new features along the way and clean up some of their code. 
  • Attach feature absolutely rocks.
<Dislikes>

• New Post notification nonsense issue.. but that is more of an annoyance than hardcore issue.
  • Don't care for the shoutbox placement, sizing and the fact the flyout seems flaky. 
  • Navigation controls are spotty.. but concepts are solid
  • There seems to be random errors in the code.. like as mentioned that fact at times the software boots you out of a thread.

Will add more today as I am compiling... the monotonous cycles in the ERP development software.. lol.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:48:27 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

A tip for my fellow PH members to help them overcome the problems with new post notifications. This isn't foolproof, but it works well enough.

Open the front page of the forum in one tab. Thereafter, open all links (i.e., sub-forums) by right-clicking and selecting "Open in new tab" (or equivalent command in your browser). Then from the second tab, right-click on all links to threads and open in yet a third tab. Whenever you finish a thread, close that tab and open the next thread in a new tab. After you have read all the threads in a sub-forum, close the second tab and open the next sub-forum in a new tab.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:54:48 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Another Dislike to add...

• no bb tags allowed in signatures today..including img tags.. must be a new flipped setting.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:59:12 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I'll be eliminate the current ShoutBox with my own personal flavor Fan Shout, when I find time to learn how to create a module, lol.

The BBCode in Signatures is something I can fix now, I made a boo boo. <-- should be fixed now

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:36:03 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

When a thread is opened with multiple pages, it always goes to the first page. It should go to the last page. We've already read the first page.

EDIT: Zero - I just noticed you noticed this so you can either disregard this or keep it here for reference.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Pack93z  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:53:52 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Click the following button (view image (double click)) when opening a thread and it will index to the latest post in the thread.

The other button to the right of it.. that indexes you to your last unread on the thread..

Message modified by user Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:37:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pack93z attached the following image(s):
Last post.png (40kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 1/23/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:11:51 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

<Another Dislike>

• Inability to post a poll.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:36:42 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

Anyone else notice that the "post" button often needs to be clicked twice (or more) to start loading your reply?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:50:52 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Yep, and as has been pointed out before, instead of loading the Post a reply dialog, it often loads the New Topic dialog instead -- sometimes multiple times in a row.

Rourke's Maxim No. 27: Most internet forum software is shitty.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:46:21 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

I don't mind the white in the actual forum, though if you want constructive criticism on it here it is: I do think there needs to be more contrast. As I am typing this I see a lot of grey sections, either they need to be darker, or everything that is completely white (the outside edges) should be green.

Also, the white on the homepage is what bugs me. I realize the site is nowhere near finished, but the homepage just looks like it. It looks like it was half done, simply because there is sooo much white. That's ok for the forum, but for the homepage, it just doesn't work. Adding grey for contrast in the text boxes would work nicely, I think.
call me Dan
Zero2Cool on 6/10/2011(UTC)
Online wpr  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 5:21:28 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

I really hate the HTML editors that we have. I know that it is nice to have a choice of editors.
But I do not see where any of them have the "quote" button. So I type in the [quote" "/quote] myself.
Some of them do not have spell check squiggles. That is manditory for me since I am such a lousey speller. (mistakes here where intentional.)
When I copy and paste an article all of the editors put way too many spaces between paragraphs. I find it annoying.
I know you have tried to help me with making code columns but with this new site I just can not seem to get it down. It is very frustrating for me.
Some of them will arbitrarily highlight a sentence or paragraph and cut it off when I try and paste additional info or type in some other information.  I have tried them all so many times I can not remember which one does what.
Of course the time out is annoying as well.  Sometimes I head out to other sites looking for info and comeback to a timeout.  Sometimes I get tyied up with other times (Like work) and get timed out. 

Some of the editors make me post to a security box.  That is pretty lame.  Others won't let me cut and paste.  But I can if I use the "edit" button on the browser.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Zero2Cool on 6/10/2011(UTC)
Online Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 5:55:59 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

The text editors I'm told are third party, except the "YAF" and "DNN" editors. That means, I can't really do much about them. I too noticed the lack of spell check with HTML and the stupid extra spacing and the lack of a quote button, and ease of insert an image too.

I'm not sure what you mean by posting to the security box.

Finding a suitable HTML or BBCode editor is one of the things I tend to do. I just don't know when unfortunately.

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 7:28:45 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The text editors I&#39;m told are third party, except the &quot;YAF&quot; and &quot;DNN&quot; editors. That means, I can&#39;t really do much about them. I too noticed the lack of spell check with HTML and the stupid extra spacing and the lack of a quote button, and ease of insert an image too.

I&#39;m not sure what you mean by posting to the security box.

Finding a suitable HTML or BBCode editor is one of the things I tend to do. I just don&#39;t know when unfortunately.

first I get this in a popup box when I want to copy-

Quote:
Your browser security settings don&#39;t permit the editor to automatically execute copying operations. Please use the keyboard for that (Ctrl/Cmd+C).

then I get this in another one.

Quote:
Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.

Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK

Message modified by moderator Monday, September 12, 2011 12:29:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Online wpr  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 7:29:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I have 2 different computer that it shows up on. I am not smart enough to mess with the "settings". This in in CK Editor.

It also adds all the extra spaces between the lines.  When I look at my text in the edit mode there are no additional lines to delete.
UserPostedImage

Offline PackerTraxx  
#21 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:22:36 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Not having the links on each page that go back to the forum one is on is a pain - or am I not seeing it.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Online wpr  
#22 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:01:54 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I can't see the user names when they are in black and the background in green. These may be the same colors as the old site but I used the light version in order to see better. Colorblindness is a b****.
UserPostedImage

Offline Porforis  
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:45:20 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

The site looks MUCH nicer since you set the background to green.

I was a member of GameFAQs' social forums for about 5 years, during that time they went through a lot of graphical changes. Everytime they did, everyone complained and threatened to leave but never did. Then they did the same thing when they changed the new graphics.

The point is, things like this just take a bit of adjustment as long as the changes aren't very radical.

I do kind of miss the shout but I'm guessing you got sick of people using it for drawn-out discussions and in lieu of actually posting a topic.

Aaand, I think that's all I got for now.
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:13:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post

I was a member of GameFAQs' social forums for about 5 years, during that time they went through a lot of graphical changes. Everytime they did, everyone complained and threatened to leave but never did. Then they did the same thing when they changed the new graphics.

The point is, things like this just take a bit of adjustment as long as the changes aren't very radical.

I do kind of miss the shout but I'm guessing you got sick of people using it for drawn-out discussions and in lieu of actually posting a topic.

Thanks. There are a few things I'd like to tweak yet on the Dark theme. I just can't figure out what class it is. WPR mentioned the one thing that's really bugging me in his quote below.

If folks choose to leave, that's their choice. I can only do so much in so much time and if that's not good enough, I do understand their decision.

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I can't see the user names when they are in black and the background in green. These may be the same colors as the old site but I used the light version in order to see better. Colorblindness is a b****.

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post

Go to Gate 16. It is right below the line "logged in as" and above "Forum" There is a "-" sign that opens up.
UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 6/12/2011(UTC), Nonstopdrivel on 6/12/2011(UTC)
Rss Feed