Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg C.  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:17:10 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Thumbs-up:

Aaron Rodgers--No surprise here. The guy can play. We already knew that, right? It's nice to have the QB sneak back in our offense. In Favre's later years, we almost never saw this play. Rodgers ran it three times: twice for first downs and once for a TD. Maybe the lack of the QB sneak option was why the offense was dead last in the league last year in third-and-short and fourth-and-short situations.

Brandon Jackson--Looked very good running the ball. Showed some good moves and broke some tackles.

Tory Humphrey--Gained 35 yards on the first play from scrimmage. Nothing after that, but at least he got his one big play. He needed that.

Aaron Rouse--Continues to make plays every time he's on the field, but for whatever reason, the coaches are in love with the mediocre Nick Collins.

Kregg Lumpkin--Looks like a natural running the ball. Probably too raw to make the roster, but would be a great practice squad player.

first string O-line--Not spectacular, but good enough.

Thumbs-down:

Brian Brohm--Still looks like a lost puppy out there. I have to admit that I'm finally beginning to worry about our backup QB situation. Flynn hardly had the chance to throw a pass tonight, so it's hard to say anything about his performance.

Mike Montgomery--Didn't make any glaring mistakes, but I have to ask: What do the coaches see in this guy? He's never done anything for us. If he makes the roster, it will be by default.

Daniel Muir--Gets the Stupid Award for injuring Nick Collins. Plugged the middle well on the goal line stand, though.

Pat Lee--Failed to catch what would have been an easy INT for a 95 yard TD. Not only did he fail to catch it, he looked as if he had never seen a football in his life. Later, took a horrible angle to allow a TD, then got burned deep but was bailed out by a bad pass. Not ready for prime time.

Brandon Chillar--Missed a tackle on the QB to allow a first down on the Broncos' opening drive. Didn't really get in on any plays that I remember.

first-string D-line--Hello? Pass rush? Where are you? Is anybody home? They also played poorly against the run. We need Ryan Pickett. And KGB.
blank
Offline TheEngineer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:19:53 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Agreed with the above. Also thumbs up to Jon Ryan, who had a good day punting.

I'm going to give a thumbs down to Morency also, there's just something that I don't like about him and his dancing in the backfield. I don't know, I'd rather keep Lumpkin over Morency to be honest.
blank
Offline Packnic  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:21:49 AM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

pretty accurate i'd say.

im hoping the pash rush was vanilla by design today. not showing your cards before it counts kinda thing. hoping.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:22:53 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

I'm going to give a thumbs down to Morency also, there's just something that I don't like about him and his dancing in the backfield. I don't know, I'd rather keep Lumpkin over Morency to be honest.

Yeah, Ryan was awesome. I think that one that was downed on the one-yard line was over 50 yards, and later he hit one 71 yards on the fly that landed on the goal line. Gotta love that thin Rocky Mountain air!

I'm starting to wonder if Lumpkin might sneak onto the roster if they keep four halfbacks. He was highly recruited coming out of high school, but had injury problems in college and was kind of forgotten. He seems to have a knack for making tacklers miss. You can't teach that.
blank
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:25:01 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

Great thread yet again Greg.

Didn't get to see the game, but by the sounds of it our D-Line had a sub-par game yet again.

I'm kinda starting to think that trading Corey Williams might not have been the best move (as zombie has been saying for a while now)... :-?
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline Packnic  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:25:08 AM(UTC)
Packnic

definetly agree about Morency. He isnt terrible and he isnt great. and never really shows any real promise. Blumpkin and Herron flash real quality occasionaly and i think with Grant and Jackson we can afford to gamble for some flash.

it think its time we go our seperate ways.
blank
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:25:54 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Props to Crosby too. I believe both his FGs were long tries. Nice to see him carry his solid form into games.
Offline Greg C.  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:28:38 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

I'm kinda starting to think that trading Corey Williams might not have been the best move (as zombie has been saying for a while now)... :-?

I was fine with the Williams trade under the circumstances. The Harrell injury is what's really making that move look bad right now, along with Jolly's legal troubles. But Williams' inside pass rush is definitely being missed right now. They're trying Montgomery in there, but I just don't think he's big and strong enough to rush from the inside.
blank
Offline evad04  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:58:36 AM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 140

If we could have read the future, we probably don't make the Corey Williams trade. But we can't. Also, there are details about his desire to stay in Green Bay and the asking price for staying.

In any case, I haven't even seen the final score yet. I'm watching the replay on NFL Network. The D-line is getting hammered. The Denver RBs in the first two quarters were working us pretty good. Defense in general not looking that impressive (in THIS game).

Passing game looked pretty crisp, though.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline GreenBlood  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:06:58 AM(UTC)
GreenBlood

Thumbs up - Danny Lansanah. I don't care about the late hit. It wasn't intentional; he was just a step late. But he was hitting people all over the field. Wish we could make room for him. Big and fast.
blank
Offline Packnic  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:13:11 AM(UTC)
Packnic

Also big thumbs up to offensive coaching and play calling.

Opening series torched them in the passing game for an easy touchdown. next series they play the pass better so we settle for a FG. Coaching staff responds by throwing more runs in the mix and eventually reached a good balance and scored another TD in the 4th series. Thought it had a nice evolution to it.

Aggressive when it needed to be and smart when it needed to be.

Defensive playcalling still a bit vanilla.
blank
Offline RaiderPride  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:15:56 AM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 120
Applause Received: 212

Thumbs Up To Brian Brohm

He should look like a lost puppy out there. This is in the freaking NFL and the kid is a kid right out of college.

Thumbs up to Brian for not throwing a pick for 6, or even a pick.

Thumbs up to Brian for not dropping a snap or fumbling the ball on a hand off.

Thumbs up to Brian Brohm for choosing to play for The University of Louisville. Picking to play for the hometown Cardinals over scholarship offers from the University of Kentucky, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Alabama, Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois and others.

Thumbs up to Brian Brohm because he is a loyal kid, who has a record of commitment to the community, a Packer Type Player.

Thumbs up to Brian Brohm because he learned a great deal today and did not make a major screw up.

Thumbs Up Young Brian.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:21:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Thumbs UP Brohms butt maybe lol :)

Good stuff again guys.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:22:36 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Kregg Lumpkin--Looks like a natural running the ball. Probably too raw to make the roster, but would be a great practice squad player.

I think there is a good chance Kregg Lumpkin is the 4th RB on this roster this year. I actually said back on the other forum that Lumpkin was my sleeper in camp this year and he's making me look good :lol:

Seriously though he reminds me of DeShawn Wynn minus all the negatives. He's tough and he plays hard. I never saw that with Wynn. Lumpkin you see that with and I think if it's not with the Pack then someone is going to put him on their roster.
Offline rkoRKOrko  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:37:27 AM(UTC)
rkoRKOrko

Thumbs up - Danny Lansanah. I don't care about the late hit. It wasn't intentional; he was just a step late. But he was hitting people all over the field. Wish we could make room for him. Big and fast.

Lansanah went to UConn so I had the chance to see him in person the past 3 years, and he was the anchor of our defense. I wish there was room for him as well, as he is a very solid player.
blank
Offline gopackgo  
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:42:33 AM(UTC)
gopackgo

Didn't get to see the game, but saw on ESPN that Jones and Sitton had knee injuries. Does anyone know more about that?

Looks like a quality start for the starting offense, scoring four times.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:44:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Quote:
Game notes
The Packers lost RG Josh Sitton to a knee injury on their second drive and WR James Jones to a knee injury in the third quarter. Sitton was starting in place of Jason Spitz, who slid to center with Scott Wells sidelined. ... The Broncos lost DE Elvis Dumervil to a finger injury, S Marquand Manuel to a thumb injury and DE Paul Carrington to a strained left calf. ... CB Champ Bailey made his preseason debut for Denver, recording one solo tackle in the first half.

That's all I could find.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Jacob  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:36:44 AM(UTC)
Jacob

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 3

hey, did nelson return any balls? i saw a great return by blackmon, but at halftime NFL network decided to spoil the ending with a NFL Now update or something so i didnt watch the rest of the game....
Offline TheEngineer  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:09:35 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Nelson had a pretty solid one for about 20 yards, but nothing spectacular. Only had 2 or 3 attempts at a return though.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:15:49 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

In his postgame press conference, McCarthy said we'll know more about Sitton tomorrow. The other injuries he did not seem to think were serious. He said that James Jones could have continued playing.

Jordy Nelson only had one chance to return a kickoff, as far as I can recall. Their kicker kept kicking the ball deep into the end zone (so did Crosby). On Nelson's one return, he caught the ball a yard deep in the end zone and returned it to the 22 or so. Pretty average, but there wasn't much he could do with it. I only remember one punt return by Nelson. He got hammered almost as soon as he caught the ball. He probably should've called a fair catch. Blackmon had a nice 35 yard return.
blank
#21 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:03:35 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Injury Updates:

Bigby: Rolled his ankle, says he hopes to be ready for the Vikes on MNF.

Collins: Neck stinger, says there is no question he'll be ready to go for Vikes on MNF.

Jones: Knee stinger, same thing that happened with Charles. This injury won't keept him from the Vikes MNF game.

Sitton: see Greg's post above.
Offline mkapp  
#22 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:18:20 AM(UTC)
mkapp

Applause Received: 1

Post game eval from Packers.com

Notebook: Offense Gets Boost From Jennings' Return

by Tom Fanning, Packers.com
posted 08/22/2008

DENVER - For the first time this preseason, Aaron Rodgers had the full complement of wide receivers at his disposal and was able spread the ball around in the Packers' victory over the Broncos.

The offense benefited from the return of wide receivers Greg Jennings and Ruvell Martin in Denver. Jennings made his 2008 debut after missing the first two games with a knee injury and Martin was out last week at San Francisco after suffering a slight concussion/jaw contusion in the preseason opener vs. Cincinnati.
"I think we had a good rhythm going, and that's what we came over here to do," Jennings said. "We wanted to set the tone and set the tempo and move the ball down the field and make plays and get scores.

"I think we were able to come out and establish what we wanted to establish. I felt great. Any time you can get out there after not being out there since last year, it's definitely a big boost for myself and my confidence, and just for the team."

Jennings led a balanced receiving corps with four receptions for 42 yards, and got involved quickly as he connected with Rodgers for a 17-yard pickup on the second play of the game.

"It's great having Greg back, and one of the guys who benefits the most is Donald because he really takes a lot of pressure off Donald because a lot of teams roll coverage to Donald when Greg is not in," Rodgers said. "Denver has got a set of great corners (starters Champ Bailey and Dr Bly), but I like our guys as well."

After struggling with a few dropped passes the first two weeks of the preseason, Driver felt some added pressure to get back on track, which he did with two receptions for 33 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown grab on the opening drive of the game.

"I think I criticized myself more than anything else, and I like that, because that makes me play the next week," Driver said. "I had a couple of drops in the first two preseason games, and this week I felt I had to come out and prove to everyone that hey, I can catch the ball.

"I think the biggest thing with us was to come out and start fast. Last week we didn't play well at all. It seemed like we didn't know each other, but today it seemed like we knew each other pretty well. The good thing about it was to get Greg and Ruvell back. It took a lot of pressure off of me and James (Jones). Now we just got back in our same positions and we just played football."

Friday night special
Last week in San Francisco, two of the bright spots in an otherwise dismal loss came from the two 50-plus yard kickoff returns from rookie wide receiver Jordy Nelson and the strong punting of Jon Ryan. Ryan posted another impressive night in Denver, and the team received a spark once again from their return game, this time from cornerback Will Blackmon.

Ryan punted three times for a 60.0-yard average, including a 59-yarder in the first quarter that was downed inside Denver's 1-yard line by cornerback Jarrett Bush. Ryan later added a 72-yard punt that bounced in the end zone for a touchback, and finished the night with a 49.9-yard net average.

Early in the third quarter, Blackmon fielded a Brett Kern punt at the Packers' 17-yard line and took it down the left sideline for 43 yards to the Denver 40. The first-team offense utilized the solid field position on their final drive of the night as Rodgers capped a six-play drive with a 1-yard touchdown plunge to give Green Bay a 20-17 lead.

Headset work
On Friday night, safety Nick Collins worked as the primary defensive player with the headset in his helmet to receive the calls from the sideline, with backup middle linebacker Desmond Bishop also getting time with the helmet headset against the Broncos.

Starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett will likely be the primary defensive player to have the headset during the season and used it during the first two preseason games, but the Packers wanted to get some other players experience using the technology in a game.

Injury/participation update
Guard Josh Sitton left the field after injuring his knee on the second drive of the game and did not return. Tony Moll took over for Sitton at the right guard spot with the No. 1 line. Following the game, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Sitton would be evaluated further on Saturday.

Safeties Atari Bigby (ankle) and Nick Collins (neck) both left the game in the second quarter and did not return, as Aaron Rouse and Tyrone Culver came in for the starting tandem. Bush also saw time at safety in the second half. McCarthy said Bigby's injury was not serious and that Collins twisted his neck, but should be OK as well.

Wide receiver James Jones banged his knee in the third quarter and did not return, but McCarthy the injury was not serious and that Jones could have returned.

Defensive tackle Daniel Muir left the game and battled a groin injury during the week, but McCarthy did not have an update on his status.

Eight players did not suit up for the game due to injury. They were running backs Ryan Grant (hamstring) and DeShawn Wynn (ankle), safety Charlie Peprah (hamstring), linebacker A.J. Hawk (chest), center Scott Wells (trunk), defensive tackles Ryan Pickett (hamstring) and Justin Harrell (back) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee).
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#23 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:57:12 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

I think there is a good chance Kregg Lumpkin is the 4th RB on this roster this year. I actually said back on the other forum that Lumpkin was my sleeper in camp this year and he's making me look good :lol:

Seriously though he reminds me of DeShawn Wynn minus all the negatives. He's tough and he plays hard. I never saw that with Wynn. Lumpkin you see that with and I think if it's not with the Pack then someone is going to put him on their roster.

Great point Porky! Lumpkin is a beast out there.......now that you said it, he does remind me of Wynn, without all the "boo-boo's".
I hope they keep him over Morency. Morency really has done sqaut sonce he came here in my view. Why not go with a young kid that seems to have some raw talent.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerFan  
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:24:09 AM(UTC)
PackerFan

Morency Flashed greatness his first season with the Packers late in the season but we ended up going 4-12 that year so most of us tried to forget everyting about that season. Since then your right he has done NOTHING and I wonder why we kept him over Gado and Green who both went to the Texans.

I think the offence definatly outperformed the defence who seemed to play flat until the 3rd quarter but by then I don't think any of the starters except safties were still in. I was hoping we could see the defence that keeps lighting up the practice field though out camp but they seem to go into hiding when the camera's are on them. I am very very glad that Collins is going to be okay because that looked like a NASTY hit. You never want to see a guy writhing in pain holding his head with his helmet off... very scary. Woodsons injury also scared me but mainly because he has been getting a lot of picks in practice but he came back in so I wasn't that worried. We just can't loose anymore guys to injuries.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:38:26 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Morency Flashed greatness his first season with the Packers late in the season but we ended up going 4-12 that year so most of us tried to forget everyting about that season. Since then your right he has done NOTHING and I wonder why we kept him over Gado and Green who both went to the Texans.

I think the offence definatly outperformed the defence who seemed to play flat until the 3rd quarter but by then I don't think any of the starters except safties were still in. I was hoping we could see the defence that keeps lighting up the practice field though out camp but they seem to go into hiding when the camera's are on them. I am very very glad that Collins is going to be okay because that looked like a NASTY hit. You never want to see a guy writhing in pain holding his head with his helmet off... very scary. Woodsons injury also scared me but mainly because he has been getting a lot of picks in practice but he came back in so I wasn't that worried. We just can't loose anymore guys to injuries.

Morency did not join the team till the beginning of the 2006 season. They traded away Gado to get him. Gado was useless in our zone blocking scheme, so it was not a bad trade. Gado has since gone from Houston to Miami, and for all I know, he may not even be in the league anymore. Green left as a free agent after the 2006 season to make big bucks with Houston. This is looking like one of Ted Thompson's better non-moves, as Green missed much of last season with an injury and is already hurt again this year.

I think Morency has shown a little bit of flash, but he has never been able to sustain it. Just a few good plays here and there. Maybe he's just been banged up too much. The coaches have been impressed with his work ethic, but he just hasn't been able to put it all together on game days.
blank
Rss Feed