Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
18 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:45:51 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 652
Applause Received: 1,340

Yeah 93, a lot of people don't ever get to piss in the big boy urinal. Many of which have a main bitch about paying taxes - like that's the end of the world.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:57:23 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

Just as anyone who coined the phrase "Sleeping like a baby" has never tried to sleep with one.

P.S. I have been doing my own taxes since I was 16. I don't complain about paying taxes. I do think it is ridiculous that more than half of the current federal budget is funded not with tax revenues but with borrowing.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:25:37 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post

P.S. I have been doing my own taxes since I was 16. I don't complain about paying taxes. I do think it is ridiculous that more than half of the current federal budget is funded not with tax revenues but with borrowing.

Several years, mine were too complex to do on my own. Brick wall

And agreed. This country needs to learn to live within its means.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Formo  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:33:50 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

I hate that platitude as much as you do, DakotaT, and it chaps my ass every time some mindless moron uses it. I have been through some sh*t in my life (most of which I don't talk about here), and I can't think of anything that has really made me stronger -- but I can certainly think of things that have set me back quite a bit.

Listen to you pussies whine.. lol Time to find your big boy pants!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Pack93z  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:35:01 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 1,048

I have something similar in the shop..

Quote:
Humor is always based on a modicum of truth. Have you ever heard a joke about a father-in-law? ~ Dick Clark

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:50:30 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 652
Applause Received: 1,340

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
Listen to you pussies whine.. lol Time to find your big boy pants!

See any other day, I'd be on you like white on rice, but you're not baiting me today. Take advantage bitch. These types of days are rare.

As for your chemo questions - she takes two different kinds that alternate, and they are interveniuos. I'll find out the names and PM them to you.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:52:54 AM(UTC)
Formo

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
See any other day, I'd be on you like white on rice, but you're not baiting me today. Take advantage bitch. These types of days are rare.

As for your chemo questions - she takes two different kinds that alternate, and they are interveniuos. I'll find out the names and PM them to you.

Read Pack93z's post in response to ya'll. He was far more eloquent than I was. As much of a 'catch phrase' that quote is, it is only true for those who make it true (93z's mindset comment).
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:25:34 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

One can learn a lot from the crap that happens in life. I know I have. But I would say I grew stronger in spite of those problems instead of because of them. My dad taught me two useful things -- how to type, and how to tie a tie -- and for that I am grateful; but if my parents had had their way, I would still be a 140-lb virgin devoid of any semblance of self-confidence. All that I have now, I had to learn on my own.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:35:38 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

I guess it depends on how you harness it and chose to look at life experiences.. I can both look at 1987 as a growing experience as well as one that ultimately will be my undoing upon this earth. Lying on a gurney, body shaking off of it because they are pumping blood into so fast that they cannot warm it properly, being read last rights and all but expected not to pull though will do such.

For the first couple of years.. it seemed like a life sentence.. how could one recover both mentally and physically. Hope seemed lost.

After some time, I will be very honest.. it made my appreciation for life much greater and to a greater depth. I choose to disregard (for the most part) the tragic and sadden filled aspect of that moment and latched onto the positives (yes there were many).

So yes.. most people that use the cliche' have little understanding from my perspective, but I am not wired into their cerebrum and actually see the world from their aspect. What would seem trivial to me, may seem earth shattering to them.

With that.. I will state that I hate the casual use of such a phrase, how it feels cheap and lacks understanding.. but that doesn't mean that there isn't truth in the words.. just depends on your mindset and interpretation of them in context.

Basically, tragic life experiences can be very grounding.

I can't imagine going through what you did.

As for the phrase, I hate it. I actually think something along the lines of "whatever doesn't kill you makes you more cold." I think bad life experiences have made me more cautious and callous, not stronger. But then again, I can't speak for anyone else besides me. Don't know how others feel about it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Wade  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:56:22 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 678

Adversity can make you stronger (as it has, obviously, for Shawn).

Adversity can reveal the true and good quality of your character (as it has, also obviously, though in different ways,for Troy and Alan and Kevin and Julie and Foster and Formo and...well, come to think of it, everyone here).

The operative word in both sentences is "can." It is not "will."

As I age, I find that the people I respect most deeply have all dealt with adversity. Have all, by their actions and via their character, found ways to convert that "can" into "will."

Not always, of course. None of us is perfect. No one always deals with adversity well. Some of that scar tissue we get keeps the blood from flowing well, and makes us cynical and bitter and frustrated and angry and all the rest.

But those with true quality of character -- and that includes you, my zombieslaying friend -- survive the scars and bring themselves away better overall.

This I believe.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Wade  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:59:24 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian

In one day I discovered that both Natalie Portman and Emily Deschanel are vegans.

They're still babes, but they're bimbos.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Offline Wade  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:08:27 PM(UTC)
Wade

Okay, so I went off topic not once, but twice in the same thread.

So I guess I owe two quotes:

1. Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
2. Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.

(both by Oscar Wilde)
Online wpr  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:14:39 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,930
Applause Received: 1,416

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Formo  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:48:00 AM(UTC)
Formo

One last comment about this topic and then I'm done with the derail.

One can learn a lot from the crap that happens in life. I know I have. But I would say I grew stronger in spite of those problems instead of because of them. My dad taught me two useful things -- how to type, and how to tie a tie -- and for that I am grateful; but if my parents had had their way, I would still be a 140-lb virgin devoid of any semblance of self-confidence. All that I have now, I had to learn on my own.

I hear ya.. Think of it this way, if you never had those problems, you couldn't have grown stronger in spite of them. You know, because there WAS no 'them'.

I've been through some stuff as well, and I can't think of any single circumstance that I went through where I DIDN'T learn something either about myself or about how to avoid whatever that circumstance was. Thus I came out stronger.

But Shawn already nailed it I think.. It's only true for those who make it their mindset.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:37:57 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Yeah, but if you get stronger because of your mindset, it is not really the circumstances of your life making you stronger, but your own decisions and determination -- which was my point all along.

Speaking of quotes of the day, here's the latest excuse for calling in sick:

Sorry I can't come in today. I've a touch of the womb fury.Ha Ha I'm Right! Rolling On The Floor Laughing
UserPostedImage