You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 2:20:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,784

Duh! I know, I know ... I apologize, but the concept of posting snippets (or portions) of material from another site is being abolished effective immediately. If anyone posts content from another site, the post will be deleted and the offending member will receive a Private Message informing them their post was deleted.

A good deal of time was spent debating what to do and what was best for PackersHome. Eliminating off site material and encouraging members to provide input an opinions in their own words is the conclusion. It is evident the best discussions snowball from members own opinions and not that of material that was snipped and linked. The off site material clutters the board and buries good PackersHome homegrown material.

You might be thinking, "What if I find a great article that others should be aware of?". First, great question, second, we do exactly as Shawn has done in the quote below. He found an inspiring article that sparked words to flow from his keyboard and linked to the article of said inspiration.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Albeit some might not agree with the notion that those in the armed forces or patriotism as a whole warrants special consideration, the NFL took the proper steps in allowing players to wear this nations colors in the peripheral attire in recognition of the ten year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Of course there is branding issues (sponsorship and endorsement related) rules to followed (money being the primary concern in this culture of greed), I think the NFL did the correct thing in general by allowing some flex in the rules for the occasion.

IMO, it is the least the sport can do is to allow the players to have some personal influence on how they wish to support the anniversary via their attire.

Chris Gizzi running out onto the field at Lambeau with the flag in tow is a burnt in memory.. maybe a new one is formed via freedom in expression from the current players.

In rare instances there is off site material that must be shared and shared in entirety, send a Private Message to Pack93z or Zero2Cool with a link to the off site content. If either agrees, they will make the necessary post crediting whomever made the off site material discovery.

We're confident this will procure many more solid an intriguing discussions and keep the ignorant editors that don't understand how the internet works, off of my ass! It's a win for PackersHome and a win for PackersHome!

Everyone's understanding and full cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Edited by user Monday, September 12, 2011 7:06:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 2:33:41 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 351
Applause Received: 932

I am going to through it here for reference more so.. but what about images hosted on other sites. IE Hot-linking the images in?
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 2:36:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I am going to through it here for reference more so.. but what about images hosted on other sites. IE Hot-linking the images in?

Images are fine. I'll be developing a module that will eliminate the need for hot linking images.

UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 6:19:04 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

Really takes away from the site in my opinion. I come here because I like the idea of being able to come across good packer articles from a variety of sources while at the same time being immersed in discussion. If I found a good article with good quotes in it that I would like to share I don't see why it should be such a process in order to share it. Having to paraphrase an article into my own words seems like a waste of time, since it is already written, and written much better than I could do it. I don't know about anyone else but my writing is awful compared to that of the writers.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know if it is wanted or not but I felt like sharing it. Feel free to delete this.
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 8:45:32 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Really takes away from the site in my opinion. I come here because I like the idea of being able to come across good packer articles from a variety of sources while at the same time being immersed in discussion. If I found a good article with good quotes in it that I would like to share I don't see why it should be such a process in order to share it. Having to paraphrase an article into my own words seems like a waste of time, since it is already written, and written much better than I could do it. I don't know about anyone else but my writing is awful compared to that of the writers.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know if it is wanted or not but I felt like sharing it. Feel free to delete this.

Of course feedback and input is appreciated. I understand and respect what you are saying.

Do you know you just did exactly what's being asked? You took my post, wrote your opinion on the subject I covered and put it in your own words. Smile

Professional writers and editors are naive on the benefits of their material spread wide on the internet. It's not their responsibility to understand. What they fail to understand is, when their material is spread around, it is seen by MORE eyes and gives them MORE ad revenue click opportunities.

Where I agree with them is when they see 60% - 70% of their material being posted on one site, which is what was going on. That's eliminating the readers temptation to hit the sources site, because as you said, you can just go to one site to get access to all articles.

I know this concept change won't be popular. Please respect me not wanting to be popular to writers and editors via email and threats to shut PackersHome down. There's been a LOT of time and sacrifice to build this site and to maintain it.

You mentioned when you come across an article that you like, it's too much effort to write a summary of the article in your own words. Then the article wasn't that good, in my opinion.

You also mentioned that you're not as talented of a writer as those who are professional writers. Who gives a damn? When you read an article and come across something interesting, come to PackersHome, start a thread to spark a discussion on it. We're here to DISCUSS the Packers, not criticize ones writing. Sure, Rourke bitches about others writing, but he bitches about everything. Who cares?

I promise you, no one in their right mind is going to say "Damn, I have several things I want to respond, but this guy wrote an article with poor flow so .. .screw it!".

What I'm saying is, no one expects Pulitzer prize material when they come to PackersHome, they come for intelligent outside of the box thinking and discussions. I firmly believe everyone here can contribute to this direction.

UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 10:48:37 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 211

And what happens if we quote something short.. have it linked.. and don't tell you guys?

You're gonna be upset and delete it? ...

I think people should be allowed to quote some small portions... and if some small portions sum it up then they shouldn't have to add more.

I understand you don't want mean emails from writers... but they should be fine with us quoting a small portion and linking it. Of course how you define small could be interesting...

I guess what I'm saying is i don't mind the rule as long as it's not strictly enforced, unless people are posting most part of articles or something... and give warning for the people that don't know.

So the new linking deal will ask us to make post like this?

Quote:
The good news is he's not out for the season, after getting injured in the season opener, but the bad news is he's out for at least four weeks (maybe more) with a broken collarbone

America's team... of the people, by the people, for the people
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:59:14 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 351
Applause Received: 932

On the top header bar there is a Packers News block, it is a collection of RS type feeds... I know it is not the same as many threads.. but it does provide a summary of current articles.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:17:21 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Damn, Rourke had a nice long post that I wanted to respond to. I had to revert to the backup version of the database because the upgrade failed. Sorry Rourke.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 7:56:34 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Most respectful journalists simply want their work sourced.
Peter King wrote:
Horsecrap Journalism of the Week Award: To FOX, for taking my quote from Tony Dungy about Lee Roy Selmon and putting it on the screen of the Lions-Bucs telecast without sourcing.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated...index.html#ixzz1XkZRs2eX

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:00:01 PM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 249

Is YouTube out?

edit:

And can we link to the Packers Weekly Dope Sheet, that is made available on Packers.com for download?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:07:07 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
Is YouTube out?

edit:

And can we link to the Packers Weekly Dope Sheet, that is made available on Packers.com for download?

Post it in the gameday thread and I'll edit the original post. :)

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:26:05 AM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 249

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Post it in the gameday thread and I'll edit the original post. :)

Z2C-Thanks for Dope Sheet link. Wasn't necessary to list me--I enjoy them and just wanted to pass it on to those who might not have been aware the media guides existed.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:39:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
Z2C-Thanks for Dope Sheet link. Wasn't necessary to list me--I enjoy them and just wanted to pass it on to those who might not have been aware the media guides existed.

I like to give credit where credit is due. Thanks for the find.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:27:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Apparently we need bump this for some folks to read. Thank you for your cooperation.

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:34:17 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

We can't even quote individual paragraphs anymore? I make longer quotations than that in term papers!

Good to know, I guess.
UserPostedImage