Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Buck  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:03:32 PM(UTC)
After yesterdays game, fellas, I have to admit that I was missing Cullen Jenkins. It seemed like Cam had forever and our D line couldn't get there. It looks like our D line is missing something. Hopefully Neal will be that missing piece and soon!
gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:11:07 PM(UTC)
he was definitely a force when healthy.
beast  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:35:52 PM(UTC)
Yeah I'm surprised when Jenkins price dropped we didn't become interested again. I thought he would be back. I'm disappointed he's not.

Hopefully Neal, Zombo and So'oto are able to get healthy and pick up the slack... also maybe Howard Green. Seems like Green had a bigger impact last year... rumors are he reported back over weight but hopefully he'll start being able to had some pass rush again.
millertime  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:42:07 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I'm surprised when Jenkins price dropped we didn't become interested again. I thought he would be back. I'm disappointed he's not.

I thought Ted would have a similar strategy with Jenkins as he did with Jones. He'd let the market determine the price and match what was fair. The Eagles got Jenkins for basically a 1 year deal for around $4 (rest of his $25M contract can be voided after this season). Seems like he would have been worth the investment. I really wonder if Cullen ever brought that offer back to Ted to see if he'd match. He seemed pissed off last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted a fresh start.
get_louder_at_lambeau  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:51:04 PM(UTC)
The Packers are currently tied for 5th in the league in sacks, without Jenkins, and without Neal, Zombo, or So'oto playing one snap yet. If they can keep this pace up for the rest of the year, they will have broken the Packers season sack total record by 4 sacks, and would record the second-most sacks in a season by any team since 2006.
earthquake  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 5:00:40 PM(UTC)
I'm not going to freak out quite yet, so far GB has faced a legitimate elite QB, who has a very quick release in week one, and one of the most mobile QBs in the league in week two. If the Dline struggles against the hapless bear's Oline, and crybaby Cutler, I will be concerned.
beast  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 5:04:31 PM(UTC)
get_louder_at_lambeau said: Go to Quoted Post
The Packers are currently tied for 5th in the league in sacks, without Jenkins, and without Neal, Zombo, or So'oto playing one snap yet. If they can keep this pace up for the rest of the year, they will have broken the Packers season sack total record by 4 sacks, and would record the second-most sacks in a season by any team since 2006.

That's because other teams are passing so much and so often on the Packers... because the Packers are having a hard time stopping the passing game so far this season. Hopefully the Packers can stop the Bears passing attack with their RT starter out.
go.pack.go.  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 5:19:59 PM(UTC)

That doesnt mean we are getting a consistent pass rush.
wpr  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 5:57:19 PM(UTC)
Jenkins was a good player when healthy. He had trouble staying healthy. I wish him well but I don't miss him (too much.)
djcubez  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:18:24 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go. said: Go to Quoted Post

That's exactly what I was thinking. Our 4 sacks were mostly due to good coverage or Newton's inexperience. I want to see what our pressures looked like. Clay so far this year has seemed non-existent as far as pass rushing, although he has made key tackles through his relentlessness. All in all Cam had way too much time. Of course, I do remember the commentators mentioning that the Panthers were keeping in 2-3 extra guys to block, which kills our 3 man rushes :P
Dexter_Sinister  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:20:08 PM(UTC)
Jenkins had an awesome play against the Falcons when he supermaned over the line right into Ryan. It was fun to watch.
get_louder_at_lambeau  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:41:24 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go. said: Go to Quoted Post

Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at +10, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.
go.pack.go.  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:44:05 PM(UTC)
Every time I see Cullen Jenkins make a play for the Eagles, I'm upset because I know the Packer should have re-signed him.
Greg C.  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:01:21 PM(UTC)
earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not going to freak out quite yet, so far GB has faced a legitimate elite QB, who has a very quick release in week one, and one of the most mobile QBs in the league in week two. If the Dline struggles against the hapless bear's Oline, and crybaby Cutler, I will be concerned.

Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.
rabidgopher04  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09:03 PM(UTC)
Our defense is bend, but don't break. It was like this last year too. Hold on to your hats, because it's going to be quite the ride!
millertime  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:27:59 PM(UTC)
Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at Slapnuts0, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.

Agreed. Sacks are like passing yards, the situation is more important than the numbers. Sacks matter most when they change the score of the game (ie. force a punt, knock out of FG range, etc). One of our sacks was because Cam ran out of bounds 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage. I'm basing this more off of my perception of our defense through two games, than off pure stats. It just seems like QBs have been able to sit back torch our secondary, which I'm thinking has more to do with our d-line than our DBs. I'm not sure how we fix this with Collins out for the year. I'm thinking we should use Bush in the slot with Burnett and Woodson back at safety for a couple plays a game.
Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:33:31 PM(UTC)
Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.
beast  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:32:50 PM(UTC)
Greg C. said: Go to Quoted Post
Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.

Because it's about Jenkins and Jenkins isn't a Packers... therefor someone thought it shouldn't be in the Packers thread (but I agree it's basically about the Packers and the Packers area would of been fine) Maybe a different subject line like... "What's missing in the Packers pressures" and listing players like Zombo, Neal, Jenkins, Green, would of kept it in the Packers zone. (it's kind the catch or no catch in the zone thing)
beast  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:38:32 PM(UTC)
Greg C. said: Go to Quoted Post
Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.

Yeah Wynn has stepped it up very nicely. But he's not getting the type of attention Jenkins got and beat, which would also help free up Matthews. And it's also Neal, Zombo, So'oto, Collins and Williams being hurt as well as Green not seemingly showing up like he did last year which he added some pass rush on the inside.
Nonstopdrivel  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 8:14:38 AM(UTC)
I like this comment I found on the JSOnline Packers blog:

NC Cheese Machine said:
Wynn makes close to the league minimum, Jenkins over $4 million a yr. 3 sacks vs. 4 sacks, at this pt. The production is about the same. One is a member of a dline that is 30th in the league allowing 131 yds per game against the run. The other is on a dline that is leading the league in rush defense at 55 yds a game. And... Wynn has potential to get better.
Ted Thompson makes the tough decisions. The team can't keep everybody.

The beauty (aside from your point) of letting some of these guys go? You get comp picks in return. If Jenkins and Colledge stay healthy, you're talking possibly a 3rd and a 4th rounder, just for them? Korey Hall, etc. also left via FA. Could end up with 3 comp picks (max is 3, I think) and a couple 7th rd picks for Schlauderhaff and Quinn Johnson.

Speaking of Quinn Johnson...seems like the Titan running game is not hitting on all cylinders. Maybe letting him go wasn't such a hard decision after all.
Rss Feed