Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:20:08 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266
Jenkins had an awesome play against the Falcons when he supermaned over the line right into Ryan. It was fun to watch.
Offline get_louder_at_lambeau  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:41:24 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 22
go.pack.go. said: Go to Quoted Post
That doesnt mean we are getting a consistent pass rush.

Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at +10, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.
Offline go.pack.go.  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 6:44:05 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 50
Every time I see Cullen Jenkins make a play for the Eagles, I'm upset because I know the Packer should have re-signed him.
Offline Greg C.  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:01:21 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not going to freak out quite yet, so far GB has faced a legitimate elite QB, who has a very quick release in week one, and one of the most mobile QBs in the league in week two. If the Dline struggles against the hapless bear's Oline, and crybaby Cutler, I will be concerned.

Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.
Offline rabidgopher04  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09:03 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 132
Applause Received: 158
Our defense is bend, but don't break. It was like this last year too. Hold on to your hats, because it's going to be quite the ride!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Nonstopdrivel on 9/19/2011(UTC)
Offline millertime  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 7:27:59 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 35
get_louder_at_lambeau said: Go to Quoted Post
Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at Slapnuts0, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.

Agreed. Sacks are like passing yards, the situation is more important than the numbers. Sacks matter most when they change the score of the game (ie. force a punt, knock out of FG range, etc). One of our sacks was because Cam ran out of bounds 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage. I'm basing this more off of my perception of our defense through two games, than off pure stats. It just seems like QBs have been able to sit back torch our secondary, which I'm thinking has more to do with our d-line than our DBs. I'm not sure how we fix this with Collins out for the year. I'm thinking we should use Bush in the slot with Burnett and Woodson back at safety for a couple plays a game.
Offline Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:33:31 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.
Offline beast  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:32:50 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 492
Applause Received: 583
Greg C. said: Go to Quoted Post
Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.

Because it's about Jenkins and Jenkins isn't a Packers... therefor someone thought it shouldn't be in the Packers thread (but I agree it's basically about the Packers and the Packers area would of been fine) Maybe a different subject line like... "What's missing in the Packers pressures" and listing players like Zombo, Neal, Jenkins, Green, would of kept it in the Packers zone. (it's kind the catch or no catch in the zone thing)
Offline beast  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:38:32 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 492
Applause Received: 583
Greg C. said: Go to Quoted Post
Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.

Yeah Wynn has stepped it up very nicely. But he's not getting the type of attention Jenkins got and beat, which would also help free up Matthews. And it's also Neal, Zombo, So'oto, Collins and Williams being hurt as well as Green not seemingly showing up like he did last year which he added some pass rush on the inside.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 8:14:38 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 263
I like this comment I found on the JSOnline Packers blog:

NC Cheese Machine said:
Wynn makes close to the league minimum, Jenkins over $4 million a yr. 3 sacks vs. 4 sacks, at this pt. The production is about the same. One is a member of a dline that is 30th in the league allowing 131 yds per game against the run. The other is on a dline that is leading the league in rush defense at 55 yds a game. And... Wynn has potential to get better.
Ted Thompson makes the tough decisions. The team can't keep everybody.

The beauty (aside from your point) of letting some of these guys go? You get comp picks in return. If Jenkins and Colledge stay healthy, you're talking possibly a 3rd and a 4th rounder, just for them? Korey Hall, etc. also left via FA. Could end up with 3 comp picks (max is 3, I think) and a couple 7th rd picks for Schlauderhaff and Quinn Johnson.

Speaking of Quinn Johnson...seems like the Titan running game is not hitting on all cylinders. Maybe letting him go wasn't such a hard decision after all.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 9/30/2011(UTC)
Rss Feed