Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:39:09 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

Applause Received: 3

I know there is obviously a focus on Rodgers because of the Favre saga. But I don't think it will matter that much unless the concerns with the secondary are solved.

I was worried late last year that an Woodson and Harris were beginning to show their age. And the inexperience in the safeties. I'm really worried about this whole season falling apart due to the secondary and nothing to do with Rodgers or the offense.

Anyone else feel this way?
blank
Sponsor
Offline MassPackersFan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:46:03 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

I don't know. Woodson has looked really sharp this preseason. I haven't seen Harris much but he still seems solid. Not many balls getting thrown his way. Williams got burned by Marshall but he has made a number of plays so far this year, and #3 CB's WILL get beat going against a rising star WR in man-on-man.
My only concern is if Harris gets some nagging injuries that really slow him down as he gets older. I honestly think Woodson is still peaking.
UserPostedImage
Offline NormaL  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:49:45 PM(UTC)
NormaL

Seriously my only concern is quarterbacks realizing they can throw on Al Harris. Collins might need to be replaced by Rouse, but other than that I think we could be ok.
I'm starting to worry more about our pass rush and run defence. Last season I worried about teams passing on us, now i worry about the run and teams passing on Harris.
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?

Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
Offline bozz_2006  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:08:01 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

NormaL; things will be different when Jolly, Pickett, and Hawk are added to the mix. And if harrell can get healthy, things will be even better. don't worry
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:24:58 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I'm not worried about the secondary, except there is not as much depth at CB as I would like. An injury to Harris or Woodson would definitely hurt. But there are very few teams that have real good depth at CB.

My worry is with the D-line. They've looked poor in the preseason. I'm hoping things improve with Pickett and KGB back in there, and maybe the coaching staff will use some different formations and blitzes to get the most out of our LB talent.
blank
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:53:33 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 110

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I'm not worried about the secondary, except there is not as much depth at CB as I would like. An injury to Harris or Woodson would definitely hurt. But there are very few teams that have real good depth at CB.

My worry is with the D-line. They've looked poor in the preseason. I'm hoping things improve with Pickett and KGB back in there, and maybe the coaching staff will use some different formations and blitzes to get the most out of our LB talent.
Don't worry too much right now.We will get all of our starters back soon and the vanilla defenses we are running now will be shelved.Come Sept. 8th we bring out the Chocolate Swirl Suprise defenses and it will be a Rocky Road for the opposing offenses.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:00:17 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 366

I'm not worried about Woodson and Harris. I think they'll show up and do well. I said this in another thread. So Brandon Marshall beat Al Harris and Tramon Williams. Brandon Marshall is no joke. He's been compared to Terrell Owens for a reason. He's a legit #1 receiver.

The worry I have is the pass rush. The secondary hasn't looked bad by any means this pre season outside of some questionable struggles last night and Jarrett Bush's debacle but the pass rush has not been there. That's part of the reason why I think some of the passes were given up last night. I recall one on Blackmon where the receiver had all the time in the world to actually come back for the ball. So it's not so much the secondary that concerns me, it's the pass rush.

Once again thought it is pre season so by week 4 we'll probably be complaining about something we haven't even thought about.
Offline bozz_2006  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:08:20 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

i'm telling ya, having Pickett, Jolly, and Hawk back will make all the difference
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:09:33 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,895
Applause Received: 2,093

i'm telling ya, having Pickett, Jolly, and Hawk back will make all the difference

I agree. Pickett and Jolly are a heckuva force to reckon with. Hawk is a menace too. He might not have the flashy sexy stats, but be sure, teams know where he is at all times.
UserPostedImage
Offline RaiderPride  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:13:40 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 192

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline porky88  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:23:38 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 366

I agree. Pickett and Jolly are a heckuva force to reckon with. Hawk is a menace too. He might not have the flashy sexy stats, but be sure, teams know where he is at all times.

Yeah I think that will improve the run defense a great deal. I think Pickett is so underrated that it's borderline hilarious in it's own strange way.

That pass rush though is going to have to come from someone unexpected stepping up. Maybe a healthy Cullen Jenkins or Jason Hunter.
Offline chibiabo  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:25:44 PM(UTC)
chibiabo

:magnifyglass: D line was pretty much moved off the line against Denver so, hopefully Pickett and Hawk would help somewhat. Pass rushing as usual was pretty pathetic. One has to hope it's just the pre-season vanilla approach or GB will not be able to stop the big wheels coming at them during the season. Would be nice if Jolly and Harrell show up as well but, one has to wonder about Jolly's brush with the law and Harrell's penchant for being hurt.
blank
Offline agopackgo4  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:40:10 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

Im a lot more worried about Harris than Woodson.
Offline evad04  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:47:21 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 69
Applause Received: 115

Success on defense is about multiple working parts. If there's no pass rush then Harris is going to look bad. At the same time, Al Harris can help the pass rush if he's glued to his man.

It IS still preseason, guys. Even then, the thing I've noticed about the first three games is that when our best guys are out there we've done pretty well. I know we got torched against San Fran, but when Al and Woodson were in we dominated their offense. We played well against Cincy. The game last night clearly had its hiccups -- but some of you post as though a successful defense is one that never makes mistakes. I too am concerned about the defensive line and secondary -- but it has less to do with the actual preseason performances and more to do with what I thought about the team going into the season.

The fact is we are without some of our best players, still. If this lack of success -- as some would see it -- is based on the absence of certain players, then I guess my only real worry is that our team's success hinges too much upon being SUPER HEALTHY.

But as it stands I'm just gonna take the wait and see approach. I still think our defense will be good this year. It can't be said enough -- this IS the preseason.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline hosemeoff  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:22:12 PM(UTC)
hosemeoff

A-Har is a gamer and will be fine.

C-Wood has been fantastic as a Packer. I'm pumped he won't risk injury by returning punts this year.

T-Will has improved every year and should be a solid backup this year and grow into a starter in the next couple of years. I just wish he were a bit taller if we're going to keep leaving the corners on islands most of the game.

If J-Bush could keep his brain online every play he'd be a huge assett. Love his measurables, but the lapses have to be drastically cut down.

Dub-Black looks to have the instincts but still seems to overthink in coverage a bit. Hope he stays healthy to get some real experience this year.

P-Lee is a rookie and looks like it most of the time. The good thing is that he looks like an NFL rookie and not an arena ball rookie. I look for him to take a T-Will improvement path.

Overall it's a solid group with elite starters and still improving depth. M-Mac and B-Sand will have these guys ready to play. Agree that the D-line needs to improve to help the secondary out. I'm still missing C-Will.

A-Rod, A-Rod, A-Rod. Phew, got it out of my system (I'm really trying not to get addicted to B-Pop).
blank