Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:06:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Dirty football is exactly like the old definition of obscene - "I can't really describe it, but I know it when I see it." http://www.google.com/ur...2=ga5wlmy9axrD32z733yzzw

I've watched Gregg Williams defenses and I would call them all dirty. I also have the same feeling when I watch the Ravens and Steelers.

And as big of a diva douchebag as Favre turned out to be, he played his ass off that whole game - and when most other quarterbacks would have called it a day, he played on. That's why football fans have always loved the guy.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:45:30 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Dirty football is exactly like the old definition of obscene - "I can't really describe it, but I know it when I see it." http://www.google.com/ur...2=ga5wlmy9axrD32z733yzzw

I've watched Gregg Williams defenses and I would call them all dirty. I also have the same feeling when I watch the Ravens and Steelers.

And as big of a diva douchebag as Favre turned out to be, he played his ass off that whole game - and when most other quarterbacks would have called it a day, he played on. That's why football fans have always loved the guy.


I remember ridiculing Stewart's opinion when I was in law school.

I've since realized that his approach was closer to appropriate than the other justices. Unlike Brennan, White, et al, he recognized that the line between "obscene" and "non-obscene" was inherently vague. He didn't have the other justice's hubris. He didn't believe that it was possible to draw fine lines between limp dicks and erections.

And, I believe, he also recognized that line drawing on vague concepts helps no one except the lawyers and others who recognize that vagueness+line-drawing provides an opportunity to manipulate the rules to their benefit ("everyone does it").

That's why the legalistic approach is so limited. If you try to get a rule that fits everything, including the vague bits, if you try to get perfect justice, all you do is reduce justice to a case of who can afford the best lawyers.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:12:56 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I remember ridiculing Stewart's opinion when I was in law school.

I've since realized that his approach was closer to appropriate than the other justices. Unlike Brennan, White, et al, he recognized that the line between "obscene" and "non-obscene" was inherently vague. He didn't have the other justice's hubris. He didn't believe that it was possible to draw fine lines between limp dicks and erections.

And, I believe, he also recognized that line drawing on vague concepts helps no one except the lawyers and others who recognize that vagueness+line-drawing provides an opportunity to manipulate the rules to their benefit ("everyone does it").

That's why the legalistic approach is so limited. If you try to get a rule that fits everything, including the vague bits, if you try to get perfect justice, all you do is reduce justice to a case of who can afford the best lawyers.


But clusterring up the system so that everything fits takes forever and opens the door for the unrighteous cash is king overlords to rule everything. And it is also why we have jokes like "what do you call 10 attorneys at the bottome of the ocean?" A good start.

Football is no different than life, money will control all decisions - and the Minnesota Vikings are at the very bottom of the pecking order. No trophies for them, and Saints got away with murder, because Vince now resides in their trophy case forever.
UserPostedImage
Offline Packers_Finland  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:53:36 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post


My guess is they would have beat the Cardinals regardless. But I think Favre and the Vikings would have beat them. I don't know if the Vikings would have beat Manning & Co. I would like to say no, but who knows. But I remember worrying that this might be the Vikings year.



Favre wasn't knocked out of the game though, and he wasn't hit illegally as far as I remember. So how would it have been different without bounties? They would've still played hard and hit hard.

I don't think the bounties improve a team's performance. The only effect I could see it having is if they hit opposing players illegally and they got hurt as a result. That didn't happen.

People should stop acting like bounties are some magical performance enhancing substances.
This is a placeholder
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 9:03:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

Bounties end up take your focus off your responsibilities. They do not help your team win. Every member on a team has a role, a responsibility, a task at hand if you're more worried about banking an extra $200 by hitting someone so hard they leave the game... your focus is lost.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Packers_Finland on 3/5/2012(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:48:10 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 353

If i was a Vikings fan, I'd be TICKED OFF.
Just as i was when i found out the Broncos cheated on their salary cap.

Heck, if they don't come down hard on the cheaters, what's the point of having rules at all? What's the incentive to stop the cheating?
Take away their championship trophy and it will make them think next time they even THINK to cheat.
That's my opinion, at least.
UserPostedImage
Offline Packers_Finland  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 11:47:05 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
If i was a Vikings fan, I'd be TICKED OFF.
Just as i was when i found out the Broncos cheated on their salary cap.

Heck, if they don't come down hard on the cheaters, what's the point of having rules at all? What's the incentive to stop the cheating?
Take away their championship trophy and it will make them think next time they even THINK to cheat.
That's my opinion, at least.


Of course there will be a punishment for this. But taking away a Lombardi through is downright silly if you consider that the Patriots got to keep their trophy after Spygate. Knowing the other team's signals affects the outcome of the game FAR more than a simple bounty pool. Unless the players in this league are really lazy and greedy enough that a small monetary prize suddenly lights the fire inside them.

Why should Viking fans be ticked off? They lost because the Saints outplayed them... if the Saints really played that dirty, then the refs should've noticed it and thrown flags.
This is a placeholder
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 12:45:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

Packers' fans can not be mad at the Broncos'. Yes, they cheated the salary cap, but give me a break, that had very little to do with the Packers losing the Super Bowl. The Broncos wanted the game more than the Packers, period. I won't make petty excuses about the salary cap, it's not just right.

Vikings' fans have nothing to be pissed about either. The Vikings players gave the damn game away. Didn't they have several fumbles in that game or something? Vikings choked and Saints took advantage of it.


The game of football is about ADAPTING to the flow of the game. If you see a team cheating, USE IT AGAINST THEM! Does this happen? Yes, but more often than not teams players whine to the damn officials. Be creative, use their cheating AGAINST them and to YOUR advantage. Don't be whiny women and whine to the banker in stripes, be a professional!


I know I'm a little over the top here, but seriously, I just feel we all spend too much time making excuses rather than finding solutions. It's like we just want the easy way out for things. Step up, roll up your sleeves and get to work on being better.

And Alan, if you take offense to my words, I'll come down there and slap that mullet off ya! :P
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:02:10 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

I don't blame the Broncos for the super bowl loss.

I blame Holmgren. If you let the other team score, you deserve to lose.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Formo  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:15:02 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
Favre wasn't knocked out of the game though,


He was. He came back, but barely walking

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
and he wasn't hit illegally as far as I remember.


The hit that sent him reeling was a high/low hit. I believe that was the year they cracked down on hits below the waist of the QB.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Formo  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:17:11 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
Of course there will be a punishment for this. But taking away a Lombardi through is downright silly if you consider that the Patriots got to keep their trophy after Spygate. Knowing the other team's signals affects the outcome of the game FAR more than a simple bounty pool. Unless the players in this league are really lazy and greedy enough that a small monetary prize suddenly lights the fire inside them.

Why should Viking fans be ticked off? They lost because the Saints outplayed them... if the Saints really played that dirty, then the refs should've noticed it and thrown flags.


That's why a lot of Vikings fans are pissed. Still.

And on the record, I'm completely over it. I couldn't care any less what type of punishment the NFL gives the 'Aints either.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:23:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

If a few hundred dollars for a hit can motivate your opponent to beat you, do you really deserve to win? Perhaps if the team focused on holding onto the ball and scoring?? It might help to throw the ball to your guys instead of the opponent as well.


I think Packers fans should be pissed about the '11 Giants game. Clearly the ball was greased, it was a conspiracy to prevent the Packers from getting another streak of three championships in a row. Oh and the Giants jerseys were too tight, thus the Packers players were unable to tackle, we can be pissed at Reebok for that.

Anyone have more excuses??
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#28 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:30:07 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Packers' fans can not be mad at the Broncos'. Yes, they cheated the salary cap, but give me a break, that had very little to do with the Packers losing the Super Bowl. The Broncos wanted the game more than the Packers, period. I won't make petty excuses about the salary cap, it's not just right.

Vikings' fans have nothing to be pissed about either. The Vikings players gave the damn game away. Didn't they have several fumbles in that game or something? Vikings choked and Saints took advantage of it.


The game of football is about ADAPTING to the flow of the game. If you see a team cheating, USE IT AGAINST THEM! Does this happen? Yes, but more often than not teams players whine to the damn officials. Be creative, use their cheating AGAINST them and to YOUR advantage. Don't be whiny women and whine to the banker in stripes, be a professional!


I know I'm a little over the top here, but seriously, I just feel we all spend too much time making excuses rather than finding solutions. It's like we just want the easy way out for things. Step up, roll up your sleeves and get to work on being better.

And Alan, if you take offense to my words, I'll come down there and slap that mullet off ya! :P


Why the floop shouldn't we be mad?! We know the Vikings HANDED the 'Aints that game (with a tiny bit of help from refs, IMO), that's why we are pissed about it. We know that the Vikings held Breesus to 55% completion (season average that year was over 70%) and almost a full 100 yards under his per game average for that year and we also know that despite such stellar play from the defense that game that the offense put the ball on the turf 5 times (2 were recovered by the Vikings) and threw it to the defense twice. We also know that judging by how close that game was that if they turned it over only ONE less time than they did, they most likely end up going to the big dance.

That's what we have to be mad about.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Formo  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:30:53 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If a few hundred dollars for a hit can motivate your opponent to beat you, do you really deserve to win? Perhaps if the team focused on holding onto the ball and scoring?? It might help to throw the ball to your guys instead of the opponent as well.


I think Packers fans should be pissed about the '11 Giants game. Clearly the ball was greased, it was a conspiracy to prevent the Packers from getting another streak of three championships in a row. Oh and the Giants jerseys were too tight, thus the Packers players were unable to tackle, we can be pissed at Reebok for that.

Anyone have more excuses??


If you honestly think anyone hear is making excuses, you sir, are a moron.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline DakotaT  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:47:07 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Formo, hell hath frozen over, but the Vikings did outplay the Saints that game, in every facet. But they did shoot their own foot off and to their credit, the Saints took full advantage.

It would have been interesting watching TJack play QB in the Super Bowl though. There aren't enough pain killers on Earth to have gotten Favre into that game.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
5 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

3h / Around The NFL / sschind

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Around The NFL / sschind

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

28-Aug / Random Babble / Pack93z

28-Aug / Random Babble / Wade

28-Aug / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

28-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.